Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Littlebit - succession game for terrible computers  (Read 1735 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Littlebit - succession game for terrible computers
« on: January 29, 2020, 05:11:03 am »

I run DF on a laptop. Not a good laptop, by any means. It has 8 gigs of RAM.
As such, I haven't been able to participate in any succession games on here recently - only partially in adventure mode.

I'm guessing I'm not alone in that. So here's an interest check thread and also a place to set some rules. Anyone interested in playing a succession for in glorious 47.01 with a population cap ~40? Either because you have a terrible computer, or just don't want to manage 120 bloodied and traumatized dwarves. This is also an opportunity to enjoy the small features for fort mode in this largely adventure mode update.

If interested in overseeing, chuck in some comments about any of the following.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anything I'm missing?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Littlebit - succession game for terrible computers
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 10:57:54 am »

PTW

I don't really know how to play fortress mode really so I can't participate, so I'm just gonna watch from the sidelines.
Also Littlebit sounds like a fine name for a fort.

You have so many more gigs than my computer has, I've only got 4.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 07:54:31 pm »

If this doesn't get much attention - I'll just get it started in Community games.

No worries - I'm not particularly good at fortress mode, myself.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 08:01:29 pm »

PTW

I don't have the confidence to play a succession game yet, but as someone with a very horrible laptop I certainly hope you find people willing to do so and I will keep an eye on it!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 03:43:05 am »

As such, I haven't been able to participate in any succession games on here recently - only partially in adventure mode.

I'm guessing I'm not alone in that. So here's an interest check thread and also a place to set some rules. Anyone interested in playing a succession for in glorious 47.01 with a population cap ~40? Either because you have a terrible computer, or just don't want to manage 120 bloodied and traumatized dwarves. This is also an opportunity to enjoy the small features for fort mode in this largely adventure mode update.

If interested in overseeing, chuck in some comments about any of the following.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anything I'm missing?

I'm down, sign me up for slot two. I'm feeling desert, but make sure there's at least a stream running through, unless you feel that impacts FPS greatly.

We can limit pets by murdering the excess, though I imagine named dwarves are excluded from the cull.

40 is plenty for a strong fort, at least in the previous versions. I would confirm that the embark is near enough enemies too, so as to prevent an uneventful series of turns. Also, bugs might be an issue, but hopefully none that require a save-breaking update.

Write up a short intro if you want - interesting premises tend to provoke strong stories...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 04:21:42 am »

Awesome, Salmeuk

Since 40 is possibly attainable in like 1 year, I'm going to set it at 20 for the first year, then others can raise it from there.

I mucked about generating worlds and found 1 that has an interesting desert. I'll keep trying - though it's a pain to get a desert on pocket or smaller-sized worlds. I'm hoping that there's nothing serious in Fort mode. I'll keep an eye out and hold off on starting for a few days.

Yeah, I'll get a premise up - hopefully something from legends will jump out at me for a starting point.

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 04:49:45 am »

Should probably move this to Community Games, rather than running it in General Discussion.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 05:08:13 am »

You're not wrong, Eniteris.

I wasn't sure exactly where to drop it. This should double as an interest check and a discussion on maximizing FPS.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 09:05:07 pm »