Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 61

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!  (Read 138050 times)

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2020, 04:10:17 pm »

Okay, so, what I originally *accidently* did was set both positions as CUSTOM_OFFICIAL_7. (first being the doctor role, and the other being the broker/bookkeeper/manager role)

But it still sorta worked...

After fixing it to this:

Code: [Select]

[POSITION:CUSTOM_OFFICIAL_7]
[NAME:chief medical goblin:chief medical goblins]
[SITE]
[REQUIRES_MARKET]
[NUMBER:1]
[RESPONSIBILITY:HEALTH_MANAGEMENT]
[PRECEDENCE:165]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[COLOR:5:0:0]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[POSITION:CUSTOM_OFFICIAL_2]
[NAME:treasurer:treasurers]
[SITE]
[REQUIRES_MARKET]
[RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MANAGE_PRODUCTION]
[RESPONSIBILITY:ACCOUNTING]
[PRECEDENCE:170]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[DUTY_BOUND]

I Can say that works as well...Although, with the first mess up, it makes me curious on the limitations on that.

But I have noticed there is still the possibility of other doctor roles still showing up.. (such as royal doctor)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:33:56 pm by Fatace »
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2020, 04:47:26 pm »

To Fetace:
Custom_ and all other position tokens from list - hardcoded position tokens. So you can not use they in entity modding. These tokens more useful to tileset makers.
If you want to add for goblins chief docs and bookkeeper, then you need just create you own tokens, like [POSITION:GOBBO_DOCTOR] and add to goblin entity code.

P.s. I read your previous posts with attempts and noticed next.
Maybe your code modifications does not work, because you tryig change one of vanilla races. I suspect that they have some unchangeable hardcoded parts.
In other words, try create new custom dark fortress civ with new positions.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:16:04 pm by Vordak »

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2020, 05:05:40 pm »

To Fetace:
Custom_ and all other position tokens from list - hardcoded position tokens. So you can not use they in entity modding. These tokens more useful to tileset makers.
If you want to add for goblins chief docs and bookkeeper, then you need just create you own tokens, like [POSITION:GOBBO_DOCTOR] and add to goblin entity code.

I have tried tho... Its the same issue/crash, like the rest.
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2020, 05:27:58 pm »

Quote from: Fatace
Try create new custom dark fortress civ with new positions.
Also pay attention to Succubus mod by Boltgun. In this mod new dark fortress civilization with new positions works.

Upd. In 0.44.xx I was successfully made a dwarf civilisation clone, but only with dark fortess in site type. Was a dwarven civ ruled by a demon. Don't know how it work in this version.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:39:55 pm by Vordak »

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2020, 05:40:43 pm »

Yeah but that's from 44.12, it has not been updated yet, or have you tried those positions with the 47.x update?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2020, 05:47:29 pm »

Quote from: Fatace
Try create new custom dark fortress civ with new positions.
Also pay attention to Succubus mod by Boltgun. In this mod new dark fortres civilization with new positions works.
Yeah but that's from 44.12, it has not been updated yet, or have you tried those positions with the 47.x update?
Fatace is correct to be concerned about 47.01 where the problems with dark towers not taking any custom positions wrote down for them, in my earlier post i mentioned common causes of goblin civs to abort worldgeneration through a crash, like when chat worthy is introduced.
  • I have never published my mods but i do have experience creating my own entities with a dark fortress site, pre 44.12 it'd take pretty much any token bar a few specific ones
At the moment the issue could render dark tower civilization positions all but unmoddable without a fix or change from Toady, but variable positions for goblins alone are unaffected until we can detail more research. If tokens like [SITE] are affected, no future versions without a fix will be playable in fortress mode.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:53:30 pm by FantasticDorf »

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2020, 06:00:09 pm »

Again some new bugs.....
So, good luck fo you, modders. :P
It's good that I just draw tiles.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2020, 06:10:18 pm »

There is some form of right though with what Vordak said, You can seem to make your own variation of the militia needed.

[POSITION:TAEMOD_MILITIA_COMMANDER]
[NAME:militia commander:militia commanders]
[SITE]
[SQUAD:10:militia-goblin:militia-goblins]
[RESPONSIBILITY:TAEMOD_MILITARY_STRATEGY]
[COMMANDER:TAEMOD_MILITIA_CAPTAIN:ALL]
[PRECEDENCE:120]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[POSITION:TAEMOD_MILITIA_CAPTAIN]
[NAME:militia captain:militia captains]
[SITE]
[NUMBER:AS_NEEDED]
[APPOINTED_BY:TAEMOD_MILITIA_COMMANDER]
[PRECEDENCE:200]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[MILITARY_SCREEN_ONLY]

That works, buuuut... when I tried doing that with my treasurer/doctor. it crashed. So it seems some Custom Official positions are needed.. will keep looking into this.

[POSITION:CUSTOM_OFFICIAL_7]
[NAME:chief medical goblin:chief medical goblins]
[SITE]
[REQUIRES_MARKET]
[RESPONSIBILITY:HEALTH_MANAGEMENT]
[PRECEDENCE:165]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[POSITION:CUSTOM_OFFICIAL_2]
[NAME:treasurer:treasurers]
[SITE]
[REQUIRES_MARKET]
[RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MANAGE_PRODUCTION]
[RESPONSIBILITY:ACCOUNTING]
[PRECEDENCE:170]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[REQUIRED_OFFICE:1]

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2020, 06:32:54 pm »

There is some form of right though with what Vordak said, You can seem to make your own variation of the militia needed.

That works, buuuut... when I tried doing that with my treasurer/doctor. it crashed. So it seems some Custom Official positions are needed.. will keep looking into this.

That's reassuring, i was deathly worried about [SITE] and didnt have time to run any comprehensive tests, but now i can confidently make a start pick this apart to learn what the cause is by adding and removing tags until i can pin it down.

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2020, 07:15:25 pm »

That's reassuring, i was deathly worried about [SITE] and didnt have time to run any comprehensive tests, but now i can confidently make a start pick this apart to learn what the cause is by adding and removing tags until i can pin it down.

Yeah, that's what ive been doing, and I think I might have found the reason..
I have been trying to re-create a expedition leader like position.. and using the normal:

[POSITION:TAEMOD_EXPEDITION_LEADER]
[NAME:pit leader:pit leaders]
[SITE]
[REPLACED_BY:MAYOR]
[RULES_FROM_LOCATION]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MEET_WORKERS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:RECEIVE_DIPLOMATS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MILITARY_GOALS]
[PRECEDENCE:110]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
[DUTY_BOUND]

Which will crash... so I start taking it apart till I got it to work with this..

[SITE]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[DUTY_BOUND]

I Checked all 3 of those RESPONSIBILITY: tags, and all result in crashing when adding them back... Hmm..

I re-added back [RULES_FROM_LOCATION] and it works fine still...
[ACCOUNT_EXEMPT] didn't crash either but that tag is apparently useless as well.

Leaving only the RESPONSIBILITY: tags causing this crash.. which makes me wonder if theres hardcoded RESPONSIBILITY tags that will crash if any other position other than what it should normally be with, has it.. just an idea..

reason for not having REPLACED_BY yet is because.. well I don't have anything higher yet cuz I wanted to find out if I can get this to work lol.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: Seems like CUSTOM_OFFICIAL_3 (counselor) seems like a decent position for the mayor spot. RESPONSIBILITY tags do work too, along with the rest.

Everything fits so far as well after attaching everything with the appropriate REPLACED_BY and APPOINTED_BY, making it similar to Dwarves and Human-like positions.

ANOTHER EDIT: seems like custom [POSITION:TAEMOD_SHERIFF][POSITION:TAEMOD_CAPTAIN_OF_THE_GUARD] positions work file with their tags and RESPONSIBILITY tags.

Time to do a quick play thru with the goblins to see how everything runs.

3rd or 4th EDIT: *sigh*

So apparently the first World Generation was a Fluke, regaurdless if there was a Goblin Civ within the world, it still worked, but, when trying to re-load it all... its now choosing to crash thanks too [POSITION:TAEMOD_SHERIFF][POSITION:TAEMOD_CAPTAIN_OF_THE_GUARD] positions... x.x more testin time.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:16:37 pm by Fatace »

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2020, 08:38:50 pm »

WELL I came across a new interesting problem with the positions, related to what I stated above.

ANOTHER EDIT: seems like custom [POSITION:TAEMOD_SHERIFF][POSITION:TAEMOD_CAPTAIN_OF_THE_GUARD] positions work fine with their tags and RESPONSIBILITY tags.

Time to do a quick play thru with the goblins to see how everything runs.

3rd or 4th EDIT: *sigh*

So from the first test, the game didn't crash, then 2nd world gen, it did.... so I did another world gen without the responsibility tags, only for it to not crash the first time, but then crashed 3 times, then not crash the 5th time..... ..........

Which made me think of something I remember seeing when I was looking at Legends mode:
 The Demon Master didn't always create certain positions, which is now making me think... "Are some of the CUSTOM_OFFICIAL_# positions not always being used/loaded within world gen? Similar to how some divine metals are not loaded in?..." Which is now also making me think.. "Does that mean, the created positions that I made based off others, that said they crashed due to RESPONSIBILITY tag, have a chance upon world gen to not cause the crash if the world does not generate a position with certain responsibilities?"

I honestly cant tell if im under-thinking this or overthinking this.

EDIT:
Worst Conclusion that I am currently thinking of, is that the Custom Official positions are hardcoded and generate similar to the divine metals, meaning if they don't exist, it will crash, and if they exist, it will stop certain positions having certain responsibilities, thus causing another crash....
Which in that case, currently makes Dark Fortress Civs to be unplayable to a certain extent.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:43:19 pm by Fatace »

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2020, 08:54:12 pm »

What I am currently working with, that I have made:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

its currently causing a constant "Sometimes doesn't crash/Sometimes does crash" issue. If anyone wants to take a look at it, go right ahead.

EDIT:

I switched back to only testing

[SITE]
      [RULES_FROM_LOCATION]
      [DO_NOT_CULL]
      [DUTY_BOUND]

Game never crashed out of 10 attempts.... no custom official position used, or a responsibility... >.<

EDIT 2:

It even seems like this can cause a possible crash:

[SITE]
[RULES_FROM_LOCATION]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[POSITION:TAEMOD_MILITIA_COMMANDER]
[NAME:militia commander:militia commanders]
[SITE]
[COMMANDER:TAEMOD_MILITIA_CAPTAIN:ALL]
[PRECEDENCE:120]
[APPOINTED_BY:TAEMOD_EXPEDITION_LEADER]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[POSITION:TAEMOD_MILITIA_CAPTAIN]
[NAME:militia captain:militia captains]
[SITE]
[NUMBER:AS_NEEDED]
[APPOINTED_BY:TAEMOD_MILITIA_COMMANDER]
[PRECEDENCE:200]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[MILITARY_SCREEN_ONLY]

Imma just stop researching this at this points.. been over 9 hours lol. Going to leave a question in the FotF thread n leave it till someone finds a decent solution.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 09:48:43 pm by Fatace »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2020, 10:30:22 pm »

On the subject of these responsibility tokens and custom positions - what if it's a duplicate error? Your custom positions have a responsibility, but so does a random-generated one. The game can't decide who does the job.

It would make sense, because many civ responsibilities seem designed for only a single use. I'd even wager to try giving a civ two Monarchs as a test for this theory.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2020, 10:42:56 pm »

On the subject of these responsibility tokens and custom positions - what if it's a duplicate error? Your custom positions have a responsibility, but so does a random-generated one. The game can't decide who does the job.

It would make sense, because many civ responsibilities seem designed for only a single use. I'd even wager to try giving a civ two Monarchs as a test for this theory.

Yeah... that's why I said this previously.

EDIT:
Worst Conclusion that I am currently thinking of, is that the Custom Official positions are hardcoded and generate similar to the divine metals, meaning if they don't exist, it will crash, and if they exist, it will stop certain positions having certain responsibilities, thus causing another crash....
Which in that case, currently makes Dark Fortress Civs to be unplayable to a certain extent.

Unless Toady changes it, or tells us the info on each of the custom positions... we are at a stand still.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2020, 12:47:31 am »

NIGHT_CREATURE_EXPERIMENTER appears to allow the creation of experiments even without an experiment interaction, in my mod i saw my liches and wights creating those bizarre experiments, even nightmares:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174887.msg8044294#msg8044294
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 61