Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 61

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!  (Read 138369 times)

Redman9012

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!
« Reply #585 on: December 16, 2020, 08:45:51 pm »

Is it possible for a helm item to cover only the face?
And on that note, how do I make a helmet that covers both head and face?

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 17, 2020, 09:11:51 am »

Oof, it's been a few years since I tried modding in DF. I see that a lot of things got added, but I'm kinda lost in how to start back again. Is there a proper guide or something similar to creating a new creature? I'm struggling a bit with the materials and tissues, but that might also be my lack of proper understanding of the English language (I know what the words mean, but not always understand stuff in longer sentences). I also don't understand how the appearance modifiers work, is it possible to make it so that in the description it says something like "It's hands are big"? Or are they mostly hardcoded and you can't add any custom ones?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #587 on: December 17, 2020, 06:52:25 pm »

Oof, it's been a few years since I tried modding in DF. I see that a lot of things got added, but I'm kinda lost in how to start back again. Is there a proper guide or something similar to creating a new creature? I'm struggling a bit with the materials and tissues,

I've got a text file for modders: how to convert raws from DF 2012 to DF 2014. https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12296

Wiki has a modding guide https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Modding#Creature_materials_and_tissues
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Gnomedevourer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 18, 2020, 05:09:01 pm »

Would there be a way for me to apply a syndrome to a creature as it's summoned? I don't know how to and I need it for a thing I'm working on
tried to balance a mod, once upon a time, fell and scraped my knee, ain't doing that again.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 19, 2020, 03:39:57 am »

Would there be a way for me to apply a syndrome to a creature as it's summoned? I don't know how to and I need it for a thing I'm working on
Unfortunately no, summoned creatures can't be a target within their interactions at this time. It's likely to be possible in the future, however. To quote Toady in the Future of the Fortress:
Quote from: Atkana
Will SUMMON_UNIT interaction effects be getting special support for applying syndromes to the summoned creatures, like how the ANIMATE effect has? The new feature is really cool for modding, but the lack of that limits its potential
By the time we get through to the magic changes, I'm not sure if it'll work the same way in general - improvements to targeting could allow, for instance, the summoned unit to be a new target and then the syndrome or anything else could be applied without it having to be a specific element of the unit effect.

For now, the only real work around is if you have make the creature unique to summoning. Then, you can give them a self-targeting interaction, or use the contact syndrome secretion trick (create a material with a contact syndrome that affects the creature, then make part of them secrete that material, causing them to immediately effect themselves with it), to apply the desired syndrome.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 20, 2020, 08:39:08 am »

Does adding [VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] and [SITE_VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] to a custom entity do anything if the entity has specific pre-defined custom positions? Is there any reason not to add these tags?

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 21, 2020, 03:16:33 pm »

Does adding [VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] and [SITE_VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL] to a custom entity do anything if the entity has specific pre-defined custom positions? Is there any reason not to add these tags?

From what I remember of the wiki page, if there are any position responsibilities on the civ and site levels that aren't taken by pre-defined positions, they will have custom positions created for them without any issues.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 23, 2020, 07:53:36 pm »

What values and personality traits make creatures obsessed by their own mortality?

DarthRubik

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Rubik's Cubes for their colorful pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 01, 2021, 07:54:51 am »

I was hoping to use the trick described in this thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151702.0

The idea was to create a wizard creature and make a million different castes, and each caste would have automatic knowledge of a certain spheres secret.....This would kind of kick start the whole secret propogation in worldgen.....But alas this doesn't appear to work in 0.47.04......

Does anybody know when this trick stopped working?

DarthRubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 01, 2021, 08:00:00 am »

What values and personality traits make creatures obsessed by their own mortality?

According to this thread:

http://97.107.128.126/smf/index.php?topic=175757.msg8097174#msg8097174

Nothing......According to the research done there it is completely random and not affected by personality traits

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 01, 2021, 08:11:07 am »

According to this thread:

http://97.107.128.126/smf/index.php?topic=175757.msg8097174#msg8097174

Nothing......According to the research done there it is completely random and not affected by personality traits

Saying that, i've had a fluke as to my necromancer-king being too vain and seeking out the secrets of life and death in order to conquer it as their flavor text. Im sure it could be looked into (the save is up on the bug tracker) but vanity is usually a facet of elves so i imagine that maybe the dwarf civilization has been propaganda bombarded by elves who are vain in maximum of degrees and given some studentious reading have left a noticable impact.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 01, 2021, 11:08:58 am »

The idea was to create a wizard creature and make a million different castes, and each caste would have automatic knowledge of a certain spheres secret.....This would kind of kick start the whole secret propogation in worldgen.....But alas this doesn't appear to work in 0.47.04......

I can't comment on whether the trick works or not - I've never personally used / tried to use it - but if it's sphere-related, then you'd likely run into problems with your particular plan. Spheres are at a creature level, rather than a caste level, so every caste of the wizard creature would have all the spheres at once.

DarthRubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 01, 2021, 11:45:29 am »

I can't comment on whether the trick works or not - I've never personally used / tried to use it - but if it's sphere-related, then you'd likely run into problems with your particular plan. Spheres are at a creature level, rather than a caste level, so every caste of the wizard creature would have all the spheres at once.

Well either way I hadn't gotten far enough to put a sphere on each caste....I was at this point just trying to create the innate secret knowledge....and I couldn't get it to work

DarthRubik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 01, 2021, 01:41:15 pm »

So.....I am trying to create a pseudo fire immunity, because secrets cannot add the tag [FIREIMMUNE].

My plan is to have the secret holder cover himself in magic goo.....This magic goo happens to boil at the boiling point of water, so when he gets really hot (ie is on fire) he will inhale the magic goo steam and becomes an !!ENRAGED!! fire man.....

My magic goo works, but I cannot get the secret holder to cover himself in it:

This is what I am trying:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And then the DR_SELF_MATERIAL interaction is as follows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When I try to use it in arena mode it doesn't do anything (also the error log is empty).....

Has anyone done something like this before?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 01, 2021, 08:14:42 pm »

Try changing the material line to CDI:MATERIAL:CREATURE_MAT:INORGANIC:DR_FIRE_IMMUNE_COATING:UNDIRECTED_VAPOR]

It should then form a cloud around them, but it will be inhaled/contact them immediately. With liquid glob it's probably not able to hit itself.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 61