Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 61

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!  (Read 137744 times)

Central Speaker Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!
« Reply #675 on: March 13, 2021, 08:07:50 am »

I was just setting up some basic manager tasks to keep my new fort supplied with things like cloth and a question came to mind:
Some jobs have details pannels that let you pick what specific thing is used in the job, such as making a wooden door, while others do not, such as 'process plants'.

Is it possible to change what reactions have access to this details panel?
If yes, can this be done for jobs that take multiple different inputs, such as 'proccess plants (to bag)' (it needs both a specific plant, and and specific type of bag)?

I've poked a little into the raws for reactions, but am struggling to find them all. Furthermore, none of them seem to make any reference to this feature.
I personally suspect this can't be done, just because otherwise there would be plenty of mods already in existence that expand this option to the job I gave as an example, and others like it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 08:39:21 am by Central Speaker Dan »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #676 on: March 13, 2021, 10:59:51 am »

If yes, can this be done for jobs that take multiple different inputs, such as 'proccess plants (to bag)' (it needs both a specific plant, and and specific type of bag)?
Nope, can't force the materials-details crafting submenu.

You can make a second specific-bag-requiring bagging reaction: this is my regular one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Plant needs [ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT:BAG_ITEM:PLANT_GROWTH:LEAVES:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:LEAF] and it doesn't need to be a leaf.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Central Speaker Dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 13, 2021, 11:55:24 am »

Nope, can't force the materials-details crafting submenu.

That's a shame. Hope it gets expanded to the rest of the jobs at some point.
Seeing as I'm part way through a game, I'll just have to wait until I've got a propper feeder-setup. Thanks.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 16, 2021, 07:52:16 am »

I am trying to make dragons possible to fight without a shield by making their breath attack need to be "charged", but they aren't breathing fire (or frost, because uuuhh I added frost dragons) at all. This was mostly copied from the charging explosion interaction on the wiki so I have no idea why it wouldn't work.

hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 16, 2021, 09:34:13 am »

I am trying to make dragons possible to fight without a shield by making their breath attack need to be "charged", but they aren't breathing fire (or frost, because uuuhh I added frost dragons) at all. This was mostly copied from the charging explosion interaction on the wiki so I have no idea why it wouldn't work.

It's a bit complicated to unpack but I think this is the problem: The 2nd interaction becomes available to the user of the 1st interaction via a syndrome with the class INHALING. However, the 2nd interaction is specifically designed so that its effects (i.e. the syndrome that grants the second interaction) will only occur on creatures that don't have a syndrome with the class INHALING. This means that there will never be a time that the creature can both use the effect of the 1st interaction while also being targetable for the 2nd.

You can see in game that the creatures will use the Inhale (Fire) creature interaction in the combat log, it just won't go any further than that. The time scaling is also fairly off if you ever want it to also be applicable to adventure mode - if I'm calculating it correctly, the fastest the breath will come out is in 1,080 adventure mode ticks. I'm also a bit confused as to why chaining 2 interactions is required instead of just using 1.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 16, 2021, 12:02:41 pm »

It's a bit complicated to unpack but I think this is the problem: The 2nd interaction becomes available to the user of the 1st interaction via a syndrome with the class INHALING. However, the 2nd interaction is specifically designed so that its effects (i.e. the syndrome that grants the second interaction) will only occur on creatures that don't have a syndrome with the class INHALING. This means that there will never be a time that the creature can both use the effect of the 1st interaction while also being targetable for the 2nd.

You can see in game that the creatures will use the Inhale (Fire) creature interaction in the combat log, it just won't go any further than that. The time scaling is also fairly off if you ever want it to also be applicable to adventure mode - if I'm calculating it correctly, the fastest the breath will come out is in 1,080 adventure mode ticks. I'm also a bit confused as to why chaining 2 interactions is required instead of just using 1.
Just using 1 had the same result so I tried this.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

gadestryll

• Bay Watcher
  • novice Earth-stricker, dabbling modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 16, 2021, 12:12:25 pm »

Excuse me, but I don't get it... what is the interest of all this over simply increasing the wait_period ?
Money was not the reason, it was an excuse. People farmed mermaids because they could.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 16, 2021, 12:49:15 pm »

Excuse me, but I don't get it... what is the interest of all this over simply increasing the wait_period ?
It gives a warning before dragons use their essentially-instakill breath attack.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #683 on: March 16, 2021, 12:59:29 pm »

It telegraphs to the player when they're ready to use the breath attack, so adv mode players can get away from the dragon before it uses the ability (or even kill it before that happens) and fort mode military has some amount of time to actually kill/stun the thing before they get incinerated/knocked around like ragdolls (in case of the frost).
Don't have much of another way to do it for what can be insta-death abilities, really, since we don't have a way to i.e make interactions have a prepare/recovery time or make it so a creature can't unload its entire stock of abilities at once the moment it gets into combat - not an issue with syndrome-inducing abilities since you can use syndrome classes to prevent completely crippling a target with i.e curse interactions, but for creatures with numerous projectiles or breath attacks they can get a bit spammy since they go full-ham with everything they have.

Just using 1 had the same result so I tried this.
Try removing the syndrome classes and adding :ABRUPT after the end duration. I use a similar thing for FF Warmechs and Omega Weapons and it seems to be working fine.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 16, 2021, 01:53:37 pm »

That sounds like a very good system, tbh. May i use it, for things in spellcrafts?

Tbh im not totally happy with how eating a fish to get a syndrome works to "learn" spells right now because, while it avoids the total randomness of trying to inhale gasses from an exploding rock, it doesn't really do what I wanted which was learning/training simulation. You can let, and infact have to micromanage to prevent, any loser from walking into your wizards room and eating his essences before he eats them.

Does anyone have ideas on how to make training/learning non-secret interactions more intuitive and more like learning and practicing?

If I switched the "inhale" ability here to something like "memorizes a spell" and make it repeatable, with a severity tag and a syn identifier that let's it build up with repeated use until it reaches a critical point where the user becomes able to actually use the cdi, will it actually work? I've had trouble in testing with syndromes that are repeatable and add concentrations with use. Either the effects appear 100% of the time on first use and additional uses dont seem to actually increase symptoms, or effects never appear.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 16, 2021, 03:45:44 pm »

That sounds like a very good system, tbh. May i use it, for things in spellcrafts?
yeah ok

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 17, 2021, 12:34:56 pm »

I need help figuring out why this reaction isn't behaving as I would like it to.

I have a plant-based creature which I shear, which produces corpsepiece items made of plant material. I am trying to come up with a reaction that turns these corpsepieces into plant-thread, in exactly the same way that the base game's spinning reaction takes a stack of hair material corpsepiece and turns them into yarn.

While the spinning reaction reduces the size of the stack by 1 and produces 1 thread, my reaction always takes the whole stack, and always gives just one thread. This happens whether or not I have the [MAX_MULTIPLIER:1] token in there. It seems to be completely ignored.

Here is another similar reaction that does work:

This reaction also takes a stack of corpsepiece, but for some reason does seem to respect the [MAX_MULTIPLIER:1] token.

Does anyone have any idea why this isn't working in the former case, but does work in the latter?

Things I've already tested:
I've changed the product to both different item tokens and different material tokens. As far as I can tell, the product isn't the problem. That must mean that for some reason, the specific material of the corpsepiece reagent affects how stacks are processed.

gadestryll

• Bay Watcher
  • novice Earth-stricker, dabbling modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 17, 2021, 02:28:25 pm »

It gives a warning before dragons use their essentially-instakill breath attack.

that seems really nice !

What material would you use if you wanted it to release smoke from its nostrills as a warning ?
Money was not the reason, it was an excuse. People farmed mermaids because they could.

Paper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 19, 2021, 01:44:37 pm »

Is there a way to create an interaction that enhances certain qualities of items in combat?

I want spells that make certain weapons hit as if they had different velocity, impact area, penetration, and other qualities.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 01:48:44 pm by Paper »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 20, 2021, 11:40:05 am »

Not directly no, but you can increase the wielders strength and give them a skill roll boost.

To do what you want you'd have to use a reaction to consume the original weapon and produce an enhanced version (which you'll have to define.) But it would be permanent.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 61