Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 61

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!  (Read 136254 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!
« Reply #810 on: June 18, 2022, 05:06:31 pm »

The answer is probably no, but...:

Is it possible to mod wood/logs a chopped tree drops so that they can't be burned into charcoal/ash at a wood furnace OR to change the item type the tree drops from WOOD to something else?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #811 on: June 23, 2022, 07:09:26 am »

Is it possible to mod wood/logs a chopped tree drops so that they can't be burned into charcoal/ash at a wood furnace OR to change the item type the tree drops from WOOD to something else?
*looks at it*
the [WOOD] tag in the woodmaterial probably causes the furnacing.

You could try this:  and then see if the tree still drops logs. Logs made of generic metal.
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOODMyMat:METAL_TEMPLATE] --lets try metal instead of wood
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:metalholly]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:metalholly]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:650]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:BURNT_SIENNA]
[TREE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:WOODMyMat]

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 07:11:15 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 23, 2022, 11:58:31 am »

Thanks, I'll give it a try and see if it works.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 23, 2022, 12:56:25 pm »

*looks at it*
the [WOOD] tag in the woodmaterial probably causes the furnacing.

Did a quick test, and nope, removing all wood related tags from the material didn't help. I think the issue is with the item type of logs, and I guess that can't be changed with raw editing.

Edit:
So, the only workaround for this that I can currently think of is to not use the hardcoded wood furnace, and instead make a custom furnace which has similar (custom) reactions, but requiring a reaction class (e.g., IS_WOOD) from the logs. The reaction class wouldn't be given to the stuff I don't want to be burned. Can't think of anything simpler. :/

(If someone's wondering what I'm up to, I'm modding some kind of "living" crystal spires that grow like trees and can be harvested for rough gems. So, burning the felled spires into charcoal/ash is something I'd like *not* to be possible.)

theRealBassist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 23, 2022, 05:09:18 pm »

I'm trying to add a reaction for using sand as a flux for making steel, something that is and has been done in blacksmithing for centuries, though not in smelting necessarily, and I'm having an issue with getting it to appear in my save. I am editing the raws that are in the save folder directly and also forwarding the changes over to the main raws. Currently, I just have this as the top reaction in reaction_smelter.txt. If anyone can offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:STEEL_SAND]
NO_REVISED!NAME:make steel bars from sand]
YES_REVISED[NAME:smelt steel from sand]{:make steel from sand}
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
[REAGENT:B:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PIG_IRON]
[REAGENT:C:150:POWDER_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:SAND]
[REAGENT:D:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]
YES_REVISED[DESCRIPTION:Smelt 2 steel bars from 1 iron bar, 1 pig iron bar, 1 clean sand, and 1 coal bar.]{+}
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 05:19:10 pm by theRealBassist »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 23, 2022, 07:32:56 pm »

Additions made to an existing save will not take effect, you can only change existing objects. You need to do the work in the main raws and generate a new world.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

theRealBassist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 25, 2022, 05:06:40 am »

Additions made to an existing save will not take effect, you can only change existing objects. You need to do the work in the main raws and generate a new world.

I've gone back and done this as well, and it still isn't taking effect. Is there some restriction on using sand in this way? Else I just have some typo that I can't see.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 25, 2022, 06:05:09 am »

You probably didn't add it to the MOUNTAIN entity in entity_default.txt.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 26, 2022, 05:16:09 am »

you might also need to change the reaction to specify a bag full of sand.
Something like:
   [REAGENT:sand:150:POWDER_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:SAND]
   [REAGENT:sand_bag:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [CONTAINS:sand]
      [PRESERVE_REAGENT]
      [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]

but also check the error.log in the dwarf fortress folder to see if it says anything.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #819 on: June 26, 2022, 07:52:59 am »

So, the only workaround for this that I can currently think of is to not use the hardcoded wood furnace, and instead make a custom furnace which has similar (custom) reactions, but requiring a reaction class (e.g., IS_WOOD) from the logs. The reaction class wouldn't be given to the stuff I don't want to be burned. Can't think of anything simpler. :/

Deon and me's OldGenesis has 5 or 6 wood classes: cheap, broomhandle, elite(mahogany, teak,oak). And some can be distilled into tar and turpentine, and Ironwood is just iron-tough.
Separate reactions for charcoaling the cheap/medium/finest, so we don't accidentally burn the good crafting wood.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 01, 2022, 04:27:13 pm »

Deon and me's OldGenesis has 5 or 6 wood classes: cheap, broomhandle, elite(mahogany, teak,oak). And some can be distilled into tar and turpentine, and Ironwood is just iron-tough.
Separate reactions for charcoaling the cheap/medium/finest, so we don't accidentally burn the good crafting wood.

I've had some similar ideas (after reading OldGenesis raws), but hadn't thought about custom charcoal reactions. I'll have to remember that once I return to mod the ton of trees I have. (Or, I might just as well write a note into my too long to-do list.)

Anyway, thanks again!

Quixotic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 04, 2022, 02:09:02 pm »

Is it possible to make 'cursed items', as in items that apply a syndrome when worn or used?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 04, 2022, 03:56:42 pm »

Unfortunately no, as to make those items it would have to be solid at room temperature and thus can't transmit syndromes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dirtcopter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: July 05, 2022, 10:28:33 am »

Is it possible to make 'cursed items', as in items that apply a syndrome when worn or used?
Unfortunately no, as to make those items it would have to be solid at room temperature and thus can't transmit syndromes.

DFHack has (or had?) a script that did exactly that-- I assume it's outdated and no longer works?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: July 05, 2022, 12:41:19 pm »

modtools/item-trigger should still work, nothing much has changed in that regard
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 61