Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!  (Read 136283 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.47.x General modding questions thread - lots of new stuff!
« Reply #870 on: November 05, 2022, 12:15:01 am »

Is there any method of editing the growing seasons for one plant, pig tails for example, without conflicting with other mods that edit a different plant in the same file?
as in, right now I make pig tails grow year round by editing plant_standard.txt, but presumably anyone who edits plump helmets would have there own version of that same file, and only one of our mods could be used at a time, is there a solution to this?

(I have some personal QoL edits I thought I might make available once steam release hits, but I want them to be maximally compatible)

To my knowledge, as the raws currently work, the only way I can think of would be to manually enter the file and find the individual plants to replace them. IIRC, Toady's mentioned making some changes to make managing mods a little easier, but I don't remember if that includes picking and choosing individual sections inside of files. Such a situation seems very likely to result in raws-duplication-based !!Fun!!

He actually pointed out specifically being able to do that:

The primary benefit of this change is allowing mods to snip out and replace individual entries without having to drop entire files, or to append a few lines to an existing entry.

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 05, 2022, 09:46:23 am »

Oh, excellent! I thought as much, but couldn't remember where that was and didn't have the time to track it down. Thanks for grabbing the quote!

Vindcara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 08, 2022, 08:29:27 pm »

Sweet! Thank you both!
I guess I'll just wait for the release and see what the new modding paradigm is like 😄

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 13, 2022, 03:25:01 pm »

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but is it customary to ask permission to use mods (or parts of them) in community games?

I'm planning to use my "personal" mod in one, but I realized it's using pieces from other mods (which I've this time remembered to list, so I'd be mentioning them), so I'm just wondering if permission is needed before it (since technically someone could export the raws from the save)?

(Though, I guess it'd be polite to ask regardless.)

PHLP_Neo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 19, 2022, 03:12:18 pm »

Not sure if this is the right place to post my problem so let me know if this is not appropriate.

I am totally new to modding, and the modest mod is the first mod I've downloaded. I have made a few custom reactions, like encrust my metal armour with gems. But other than that my game is mostly vanilla.
After I created a new world and start playing, I've found out several reactions are missing. Not the ones from Modest mod, nor the one I made, but the one from the default game like make cloth cloaks and capes.
I checked the object and entity files and they seems intact, there isn't a reaction to make cloth cloak but I don't think it has one to begin with.
Here are some related lines:
Code: [Select]
From entity_default.txt:
[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
    [SITE_CONTROLLABLE]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_MAIL_SHIRT:COMMON]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_LEATHER:COMMON]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_COAT:COMMON]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_SHIRT:COMMON]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CLOAK:COMMON]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TUNIC:COMMON]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TOGA:UNCOMMON]

From item_armor.txt:item_armor

[OBJECT:ITEM]
   [ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CLOAK]
   [NAME:cloak:cloaks]
   [UBSTEP:MAX]
   [LBSTEP:1]
   [LAYER:COVER]
   [COVERAGE:100]
   [LAYER_SIZE:15]
   [LAYER_PERMIT:150]
   [MATERIAL_SIZE:5]
   [SOFT]
   [LEATHER]
   [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD]
Nothing is as permanent as a temporary solution that works.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 20, 2022, 02:51:31 am »

Not sure if this is the right place to post my problem so let me know if this is not appropriate.

I am totally new to modding, and the modest mod is the first mod I've downloaded. I have made a few custom reactions, like encrust my metal armour with gems. But other than that my game is mostly vanilla.
After I created a new world and start playing, I've found out several reactions are missing. Not the ones from Modest mod, nor the one I made, but the one from the default game like make cloth cloaks and capes.
I checked the object and entity files and they seems intact, there isn't a reaction to make cloth cloak but I don't think it has one to begin with.
Here are some related lines:
Code: [Select]
From entity_default.txt:
[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
    [SITE_CONTROLLABLE]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_MAIL_SHIRT:COMMON]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_LEATHER:COMMON]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_COAT:COMMON]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_SHIRT:COMMON]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CLOAK:COMMON]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TUNIC:COMMON]
    [ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TOGA:UNCOMMON]

From item_armor.txt:item_armor

[OBJECT:ITEM]
   [ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CLOAK]
   [NAME:cloak:cloaks]
   [UBSTEP:MAX]
   [LBSTEP:1]
   [LAYER:COVER]
   [COVERAGE:100]
   [LAYER_SIZE:15]
   [LAYER_PERMIT:150]
   [MATERIAL_SIZE:5]
   [SOFT]
   [LEATHER]
   [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD]
For a lot of the items that turn up as entity resources (like armour, tools, and weapons), the game will automatically generate the reactions in-game at the appropriate workshops, rather than having reaction raws for them. It sounds like it might be that cloaks aren't a resource for your particular civilization - it's only COMMON in the entity raws, meaning there's a 50-50 chance that a civilization will generate with/without access to them. Their automatic reactions don't show up because your civilization doesn't know how to make them!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: December 08, 2022, 08:19:09 am »

Is there a way to put buildings in there own custom category on the build menu?

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: December 11, 2022, 05:27:41 pm »

Hey folks.  Is there an item token that forces a weapon to only use a given material, or excludes a material?  I made a new weapon that does not use metal reagents, but still spawns with the embark supplies as metal variants.

Amanlu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: December 15, 2022, 02:35:34 pm »

Hi guys. I am looking for one solution. Is there any way to mod Tool tokens? Let's say change wheelbarrow behavior to go around pick as much items as possible and go back and put stuff down ? I allready moded the minecarts and raised their capacity by 3 times, so instead of 5 chunks i can load 15 into it and send it on it's way. Changing wheelbarrows capacity doesn't change anything, so i presume that modifications need to be made to the tokens directly. Anyone ever tried this ? My goal is to make wheelbarrows being "Loadable" Dwarfs takes barrow to place A with stones, load 3 on the wheelbarrow ( Either by riding the wheelbarrow into them, picking them up and going back, or placing the wheelbarrow next to the stuff, and then dwarf picks up the ore and loads the wheelbarrow ) and then goes to the stockpile, placing the material in freespace. Thanks for answers. Also, is there a way to speed up minecarts being guided by dwarfs ?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: December 15, 2022, 11:06:08 pm »

No, the functions of the tokens themselves are hard-coded. You can use them to make/change objects, but the effects of the tokens themselves cannot be changed in any way.

Not sure what affects the speed dwarves guide minecarts at. They might depend on the speed of the creature, which you could control by adjusting the dwarves raws. But it might not
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: December 19, 2022, 09:48:12 pm »

I've heard there's a way to get mods to work in an existing save instead of having to regen the world, does anybody know what it is?  I am immeasurably salty that they changed the way modding works.  I'm not generating a whole new damn world and starting my fort over just cause the stupid RNG made it impossible to get shells on my map, and now that I'm mad I'm not letting the dwarf die either.  This was fixable in 30 seconds in the old version.
Shoes...

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #881 on: December 20, 2022, 01:10:12 pm »

I've heard there's a way to get mods to work in an existing save instead of having to regen the world, does anybody know what it is?  I am immeasurably salty that they changed the way modding works.  I'm not generating a whole new damn world and starting my fort over just cause the stupid RNG made it impossible to get shells on my map, and now that I'm mad I'm not letting the dwarf die either.  This was fixable in 30 seconds in the old version.

You can change the raws in the installed_mods folder, as long as those mods are already loaded by the save. Not sure about the details, but I've been using this to test out (placeholder) graphics for my mods.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: December 22, 2022, 10:10:50 pm »

pretend I deleted this message
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 01:32:14 am by ChaosPotato »
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: December 23, 2022, 02:27:22 am »

Is it possible to mod seasons into no-pole worlds? Took a look at the raws, didn't see anything peomising, but maybe I'm missing something

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: December 23, 2022, 03:17:16 am »

I am immeasurably salty that they changed the way modding works.
The new mod system they introduced makes it easier to share and implement mods, but you can still directly modify the game files as before even use old-school way of overwriting raws. Main thing to be aware of is the changes to file locations (like voliol noted).

Otherwise, as with any major release, there are a lot of nuances to figure out. I seen people adding and updating info on the wiki:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Token
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Modding
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Mod
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 03:28:44 am by jipehog »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61