Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3D Modelling Dwarf Fortress diorama(s): Need cool forts and pictures  (Read 2711 times)

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile

Hey guys. Looking to create a *3D Diorama* to upload on https://sketchfab.com/ to sort of un-rust my 3D hobby skils, and figured I would reignite my other old flame in Dwarf Fortress! Since I haven't been following DF or active on the forums recently, I was wondering if you guys had some great material for a 3D Diorama. A diorama, of course, being uh...

noun
a model representing a scene with three-dimensional figures, either in miniature or as a large-scale museum exhibit.
Yeah, one of those.

An example of my previous work here: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/desert-bridge-d75d53ba75ad44f6ad58952d8d9d256a

Thread preferences:
Post an image of your scene, preferably with Imgur link or in a spoiler tag.
Preferably don't use Stonesense or any other rendering program, because it kind of takes away the fun of it, you know? :O Just regular screenshots of Dwarf Fortress will do.
Mostly interested in architecture or scenes. Smaller scenes, like things happening in a room or a corridor, are preferable over entire fortress renders.

Some Key points:
I don't use the ASCII but happy to model it, if you give me a brief explanation of what's going on lol.
Happy to give a go at other kinds of DF material, like characters and creatures.
Hoping to keep it kinda personal; rather than just skimming the top threads and pulling out a random Cacame Aweminade scene, I would prefer to do something current from the trenches, for someone who actually wants an arguably nifty 3D render lol.
Happy to take some artistic liberties and pretend that's totally how the scene went down no srsly believe me it was! lol
Not looking for payment or exposure or any crap like that. Just trying to inspire myself to stop being lazy with my 3D work!
Less keen on artifacts because I don't feel like menacing my models with various rock spikes lol, but I'll still have a look.

So the point of this thread is: Post pictures of forts or scenes that you think would be cool in 3D and I'll see if I can realize it!

I mostly use Blender, Maya, and a little Zbrush. Will keep this thread posted!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:16:42 pm by FrankMcFuzz »
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Modelling Dwarf Fortress diorama(s): Need cool forts and pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 01:08:04 pm »

These look really cool. I don't know if you're into it, but there's this fort I've been working on: https://imgur.com/Jdd9JfD.png.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 03:59:14 pm »

Ah. I suppose I'd forgotten that there's already ways to render Dwarf Fortress in 3D! Or isometric 2D, which is still pretty much 3d lol. With a reference like that, I found myself just copying the stonesense picture and not really adding much personal touch to it. Oops lol.

If people are still interested, I've changed the general idea of what I'm looking for to end up with better results, and also to not waste anybody's time! :O

But I did do a little on it. Pretty standard blockout stuff just to get the shape without much detail. Scene's a bit larger in scope than the original ambitions; I was looking for something a bit more zoomed in and personal so, I've changed the initial post to reflect that :D

https://imgur.com/a/JuzI4AI

Also as mentioned below; That is definitely a lovely fort! :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 09:21:48 pm by FrankMcFuzz »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 05:00:40 pm »

That's a lovely fort.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 03:39:22 am »

Well I didn't do anything Dwarf Fortress related this weekend, but I did definitely do a pretty nifty low poly building from a 2D reference I found.

Link for those interested just to show, I can actually deliver lol https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/sungnyemun-gate-aef7dce853a640aab1f3b32a877d7a14

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 06:56:25 pm »

Ah. I suppose I'd forgotten that there's already ways to render Dwarf Fortress in 3D! Or isometric 2D, which is still pretty much 3d lol. With a reference like that, I found myself just copying the stonesense picture and not really adding much personal touch to it. Oops lol.

If people are still interested, I've changed the general idea of what I'm looking for to end up with better results, and also to not waste anybody's time! :O

But I did do a little on it. Pretty standard blockout stuff just to get the shape without much detail. Scene's a bit larger in scope than the original ambitions; I was looking for something a bit more zoomed in and personal so, I've changed the initial post to reflect that :D

https://imgur.com/a/JuzI4AI

Thanks! It looks super cool though. I'll keep this thread in mind for when I come across some details that need a scene.

Also as mentioned below; That is definitely a lovely fort! :D

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 01:50:45 pm »

Couldn't a real time virtual diorama be made with dwarf fortress, armok vision and 3 screens?