Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with a UI idea I had  (Read 1144 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Need help with a UI idea I had
« on: January 30, 2020, 10:06:01 am »

Hey guys,

One of my tileset-related ideas hit a bit of a hurdle. Essentially I'd love to offer people a choice of multiple Photoshop layers (or .png files if you want) that can be stacked to create a new image.

For example load "background 1" + "texture 3" + "material 6". I'd draw the artwork first, and players could open a little program, pick a list of options from drop-down menus, and  it would save the resulting choices as a new .png for them to use.

I'm not sure what program to use. I mostly have experience with VisualBasics from my mod-installer for Masterwork DF, but that's not working on macOs or Linux, and I don't think it can do what I'd need with the images.

Does anyone have experience with something like that, or can point me in the right direction?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with a UI idea I had
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 10:52:18 am »

The same thing you asked before?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 11:39:04 am »

Kind of, though not exactly. I'm still upset with myself that I never managed to release a set using your tool... There weren't enough 32x32 tiles around. Oab has creatures, but no terrain, Vettlingr is missing most of the creatures, and Vordak is out to do his own set, not wanting to mix his artwork with other sources. Then the work on the Steam set came along, taking priority... Sorry. :/

The main difference between what I'm trying to do now and back then is this:
Old version: pick a tile from an option of pre-set tiles.
New version: pick pre-set parts of a tile, to create a new tile.

Honestly I just had that idea today, and I can't test anything at home for at least a month, so i'm just spittballing atm. Till then I wanted to at least gather some infos about how to possibly do it. Watching YouTube tutorials atm. ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 12:02:45 pm »

Phoebus assembler was composing tiles from multiple sources. And my tool does it too, although with slightly different methods (you simply stack layers using Qt's composition modes). If this is not enough, we can discuss it and see what can be done.

I re-uploaded the demo on github, so the link should stay alive for whenever you have the time to look at it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 04:27:08 pm by Clément »

Francis_the_dwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 02:46:45 pm »

It is a little more general use, but ImageJ might work. It is mostly used in the science world for image manipulation, it can stack, flatten, split, etc. It is free, open-source, and works on all platforms (its Java based). https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 03:18:31 pm »

Oh, I didn't realize that it would stack. I test that next month once I'm back home. :)