Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 413466 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1980 on: April 01, 2020, 08:36:49 pm »

Originally from Bloomberg, who doesn't have the best record with anonymous tips or whistleblowers, so take it as it is, but not surprising at all and very much in line with what people were expecting to be going on. (Although there's an argument that makes it even more suspect, but hey, it's news.)

https://news.yahoo.com/china-concealed-extent-virus-outbreak-151550123.html
I don't think it's necessarily concealment. Or rather, I think that while there might be an element of concealment, that's not the full story with COVID19 numbers. In general between the lack of tests, asymptomatic carriers, unrelated deaths due to healthcare overload, and goverments being less than 100% clear about their criteria for testing the living and counting the dead at any given minute, I think you have to take everyone's numbers with prudence.

There was an article about this in a national newspaper. This is the English version of the article:
https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-03-30/tracking-the-coronavirus-why-does-each-country-count-deaths-differently.html

The title in Spanish was blunter: "Every country is counting the dead as it sees fit, and noone is doing it particularily well".
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: April 01, 2020, 08:39:50 pm »

Some maniac tried to torpedo a train into the hospital ship docked out in Los Angeles

What the actual fuck?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: April 01, 2020, 08:48:08 pm »

Federal prosecutors allege train engineer Eduardo Moreno, 44, of San Pedro intended to hit the ship, saying he thought it was "suspicious" and did not believe "the ship is what they say it's for.'
I think we all are under waaaaay too much stress and its beggining to show
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: April 01, 2020, 08:51:24 pm »

A count of train wrecking, I'd like to see the expression on the judge who ends up reading that one on their docket. I get the feeling this guy is a Qanon freak, with the maximum vague conspiracy plus wild impulsive crime.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: April 01, 2020, 10:46:29 pm »

Clearly the ship is a front for a massive floating pizza parlour, run by Big Cheese.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: April 01, 2020, 11:10:12 pm »

A count of train wrecking, I'd like to see the expression on the judge who ends up reading that one on their docket. I get the feeling this guy is a Qanon freak, with the maximum vague conspiracy plus wild impulsive crime.

When I read this whole thing and saw the picture, bizarrely the first thing that jumped in to my head was a Vampire the Masquerade conspiracy.

And yeah, Train Wrecking. My first reflex was "That's bullshit, the reporter literally didn't know what to say they're being charged with." But then I thought about it and it kinda makes sense. I'm sure they needed a special law just for that when railways became a big part of American life. TBH, just one charge sounds light. No attempted murder? Reckless endangerment? Just....Train Wrecking?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: April 01, 2020, 11:19:49 pm »

When I read this whole thing and saw the picture, bizarrely the first thing that jumped in to my head was a Vampire the Masquerade conspiracy.

And yeah, Train Wrecking. My first reflex was "That's bullshit, the reporter literally didn't know what to say they're being charged with." But then I thought about it and it kinda makes sense. I'm sure they needed a special law just for that when railways became a big part of American life. TBH, just one charge sounds light. No attempted murder? Reckless endangerment? Just....Train Wrecking?

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-2000-title18-section1992&num=0&edition=2000

Maximum of 20 years. 30-life if train was carrying nuclear materials. Life or the death penalty if it resulted in the death of a person. Pretty serious charge on its own.

Apparently that was an old revision.

Current law is here: https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?hl=false&edition=prelim&req=granuleid%3AUSC-2000-title18-section1992&num=0

20 years, unless a death was involved, in which case no maximum, and possibility of death penalty. Maximum is also removed if there is clear intent to harm. But yeah, either way, pretty severe charge.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:24:24 pm by sluissa »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: April 01, 2020, 11:23:48 pm »

You'd have a hard time going for the big-M on this one, I think. Attempted manslaughter, maybe, but given the implausibility of the action and his focus on publicity, demonstrating that he'd chosen to try and kill people would prove a problem. Fine by me, I think it's inappropriate to stack multiple charges on a singular action anyway.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: April 01, 2020, 11:24:53 pm »

Murder 2 might stick, with a charge of 'Gross indifference'.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/d/depraved-indifference/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:59:57 pm by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: April 02, 2020, 07:01:06 am »

Some ad popped up on Facebook for an 80% alcohol hand sanitizer, and someone posted a comment asking if it killed covid19.

A helpful person chimed in and said that "No, the virus is fat-based, so antibac doesn't kill it. You need to actually use soap and water to take care of covid19"

This helpful person (supposedly) works as a pharmacy technician...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: April 02, 2020, 07:51:11 am »

The Dutch Senate will temporarily cancel it's decision to not convene.
They will have to convene to vote on a temporary change to the Constitution that will allow them to vote on laws over the internet.
Our Constitution states that no new laws can be passed by the senate or parliament unless 75% of it's members are physically present in the House.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: April 02, 2020, 08:01:27 am »

There's going to be a morbid humor if that manages to get them infected. Bureaucracy literally killing the bureaucrats :-\

Like, I get respect for a constitution and rule of law and whatnot, but sometimes you should probably just go, "Yeah, maybe we don't actually need to spread the crow plague to agree to procedure to avoid spreading the crow plague." Just throwing that one out there. Anyone with sense will understand. Anyone without can be conscripted to give aid to quarantined citizens or somethin'. Pretty sure folks could figure something reasonable out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: April 02, 2020, 08:39:14 am »

There's going to be a morbid humor if that manages to get them infected.

At least you have leaches.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: April 02, 2020, 08:52:30 am »

There's going to be a morbid humor if that manages to get them infected. Bureaucracy literally killing the bureaucrats :-\
It's a valid concern, for while the average age in parliament is well below the high risk group, average age in Senate isn't

Like, I get respect for a constitution and rule of law and whatnot, but sometimes you should probably just go, "Yeah, maybe we don't actually need to spread the crow plague to agree to procedure to avoid spreading the crow plague." Just throwing that one out there. Anyone with sense will understand. Anyone without can be conscripted to give aid to quarantined citizens or somethin'. Pretty sure folks could figure something reasonable out.
In a world without pesky lawyers that would work. I suppose our government is just trying to make sure that there will not be millions of lawsuits against laws that were passed unconstitutionally because the parliament's and senate's vote were invalid.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: April 02, 2020, 09:11:33 am »

In a world without pesky lawyers that would work. I suppose our government is just trying to make sure that there will not be millions of lawsuits against laws that were passed unconstitutionally because the parliament's and senate's vote were invalid.
I would prefer following law, while reducing risk. For example, can they meet on say a soccer field what would allow them to maintain a decent distance? I prefer that to "we ignored laws because reasons".
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 458