Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 413411 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #240 on: February 19, 2020, 05:30:24 pm »

Two Iranian nationals have died of Coronavirus
Apparently:
-They never travelled abroad
-They never even left the province of Qom
HUH???
Looks like someone was carrying it and went through said province.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 19, 2020, 07:05:42 pm »

Singapore is having a few new cases everyday. They document the cases very well, though, tracing the source of virus on every one. It seems to be in control so far.

They're also going back to work and resuming life as normal. We'll see if anything comes from that.

People here are starting to be more active and spend more time out of the house. The panic seems to be settling down.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 20, 2020, 12:54:06 am »

I don't know what to make out of the clip by the virus expert Iwata Kentaro. Maybe what he says is real. Then it will be difficult to contain the virus in Japan. I don't understand why he deleted the clip. It's not like Japanese police would go after him like what happened to Doctor Li.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 20, 2020, 03:54:35 am »

Small, densely populated areas have trouble with this. Singapore and Japan are kind of in the same camp. It'll be a lot easier to control than China or the US, though. Firstly, because those countries have better infrastructure, incredible healthcare, and a populace who are willing to go to the hospital.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 20, 2020, 04:06:03 am »

Is there a chance that there's surprisingly little danger to the virus spreading around the world if it seems to be evolved with the assumption that its hosts are smokers in a very polluted environment? There's not many places in the world that have the same density of smokers and environment which it prefers if that's the case. I just thought that it was odd that if it's so contagious, and that there's worldwide reports everywhere, why are the victims in Non-China countries still so small in number? In China it seems like the number of infected exploded into 5 digits almost overnight, but everywhere else it doesn't even seem to be a concern.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 20, 2020, 04:13:25 am »

It's only in Wuhan that the infected number explodes. In the city I live in the new cases emerge in a rate comparable to Singapore. There are several reasons to why it's so severe in Wuhan. One is that when people began to
 generally acknowledge its existence, the virus had already been circulating around for more than a month.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 20, 2020, 04:16:43 am »

I also don't know how bad the pollution in Wuhan is. Probably not great, but China's huge and a lot of places have almost none. Beijing, Guangzhou, and Shenzhen have it bad, for sure, but I never heard about Wuhan being good or bad for it. Where I live, it's blue skies every day.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 20, 2020, 07:31:53 am »

South Korea saw a jump in cases mainly due to a super spreader event at a large church.
It seems like that Church was more like a cult...
The East Asian sphere seems to be more vigorous in testing
Meanwhile in the US, in the past 3 days the CDC only finished testing 12 cases.
Can’t have Coronavirus if you don’t test for it
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:11:38 am by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 20, 2020, 09:39:40 am »

more like a cult...

Yes that sect is forbidden by law in China. Don't know its legality in Korea though.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 20, 2020, 09:52:13 am »

Generally, I'm against forbidding religions with law, but I feel in the case they are intentionally spreading plagues I can make an exception

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2020, 10:00:24 am »

Which cult?

Generally, I'm against forbidding religions with law, but I feel in the case they are intentionally spreading plagues I can make an exception
Isn't that a bit jumping to conclusions? So far all we have here is that they had a mass event, like most religions do, and a disease spread
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2020, 10:00:42 am »

This religion has too long of a name to NOT be a cult...

Seems it wasn't - directly - related to church activities, though. It wasn't like a snake-handling thing or that dude who fed his parishoners rat poison and they all died (surprise.) Seems she just...ignored any advice to self quarantine and infected 160 people.

Edit: Some tourist attractions are reopening in my province as of tomorrow. We're one of the least effected, but it's nice to see some cooling down.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:04:54 am by delphonso »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2020, 10:03:53 am »

There can be a grey area between just a religion and a cult, however that bunch seem fairly clearly on the "cult" side.

www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=post;msg=8093984;topic=175464.240
Shincheonji followers are taught to believe that Lee, the founder, is the second coming or the returned Jesus Christ. Shincheonji claims that the Bible is written in metaphors and only its founder Lee could interpret and understand
"Their leader Lee Man-Hee claims to have access to secret knowledge of scriptures which other church pastors do not know. Moreover, he claims that one can truly know God only by following and listening to the teachings of Shincheonji. Once they are into this group, they spend most of their time inviting people to join Shincheonji group and spend very less time with their families, friends and churches and neglect and quit their studies or work."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:06:04 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2020, 11:08:09 am »

This religion has too long of a name to NOT be a cult...

Seems it wasn't - directly - related to church activities, though. It wasn't like a snake-handling thing or that dude who fed his parishoners rat poison and they all died (surprise.) Seems she just...ignored any advice to self quarantine and infected 160 people.

Edit: Some tourist attractions are reopening in my province as of tomorrow. We're one of the least effected, but it's nice to see some cooling down.

I´m not saying it´s not a cult (though TBH I think the line between cult and mainstream religion is thin at best, and usually related more to popularity and how seriously the average believer follows the tenets). I´m saying the former guy said that they should be outlawed for delliberatedly spreading disease, and I don´t think there is any serious mention of them doing that.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2020, 01:13:46 pm »

I mean mine was a more general statement of "religions that intentionally spread disease should probably not be around" more than anything specific to that cult
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 458