Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 413823 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #285 on: February 23, 2020, 09:52:38 am »

So with one voice you're overreacting to the virus and with another you're concerned about the economic repercussions of other people overreacting to the virus?
Perspective
Or rather, your perspective.
I get it now.

Further discussion of this matter with you is pointless.

I wish you and your loved ones good health this season
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:58:11 am by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 23, 2020, 10:06:36 am »

No, perspective of how much worse the seasonal flu is than the crow disease.
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 23, 2020, 10:33:13 am »

In any case, I’d rather look like a lunatic and be proven wrong than be proven right.
I really hope I’m wrong
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 23, 2020, 10:43:23 am »

The point here I think is worth mentioning. The flu has a death rate around 0.1%, while this virus is currently around 2.9% from the last estimate I saw.

So both are things to worry about, but for different reasons. Flu because it's endemic, so you're more likely to get it, and Covid-19 because it's more deadly, and it's highly contagious, so if that spreads out of control then we've got a serious problem on our hands. The flu in America can affect up to 50 million people per year, and at that rate, you get about 50 thousand deaths. Coronavirus could achieve that many deaths at 1.5 million infections.

However, there's a lot we don't know yet. Some believe the rate of infection of China has been seriously under-reported, meaning the fatality rate may be highly inflated. Also, these viruses really don't like warm weather and that's part of what did in SARS and MERS the first time.
https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/warm-weather-may-have-helped-suppress-coronavirus
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:52:05 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 23, 2020, 10:50:28 am »

Amid severe cases (aka: those requiring hospitalization) influenza's death rate is closer to 20%
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 23, 2020, 10:53:13 am »

The point here I think is worth mentioning. The flu has a death rate around 0.1%, while this virus is currently around 2.9% from the last estimate I saw.
The latter is CFR, not IFR, though. I.e. taking into account confirmed cases only. Infection Fatality Ratio is about 0.3%-1% according to this:
https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200219-sitrep-30-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=3346b04f_2
I see similar estimates in other sources.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 23, 2020, 10:53:59 am »

Amid severe cases (aka: those requiring hospitalization) influenza's death rate is closer to 20%

We need to go off raw infection rate however. If the odds of dying from infection are 0.1% and the odds of dying after hospitalization are 20% then that also means only 1 in 200 people get sick enough to require hospitalization.

The latter is CFR, not IFR, though. I.e. taking into account confirmed cases only. Infection Fatality Ratio is about 0.3%-1% according to this:
https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200219-sitrep-30-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=3346b04f_2
I see similar estimates in other sources.

If that's the case then it's about the same as the flu. The main criteria then would be how quickly it spreads. You got that cruise ship with 634 people who got infected out of ... 4000? That would be pretty unlikely that the flu would spread that quickly among passengers on a ship.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:57:12 am by Reelya »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 23, 2020, 11:17:39 am »

If that's the case then it's about the same as the flu. The main criteria then would be how quickly it spreads. You got that cruise ship with 634 people who got infected out of ... 4000? That would be pretty unlikely that the flu would spread that quickly among passengers on a ship.
The current R0 estimates are higher than for the flu, but not that much. Let's not forget that being stuck on a cruise ship is a rather specific environment. Common cold spreads in kindergartens at a much higher rate than it does in the general population, too.

But yeah, we'll see. It might very well end up infecting more people than the flu - or not. Time will tell. But unlike some self-professed lunatics, I won't lose sleep over it.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 23, 2020, 11:37:07 am »

The current R0 estimates are higher than for the flu, but not that much. Let's not forget that being stuck on a cruise ship is a rather specific environment. Common cold spreads in kindergartens at a much higher rate than it does in the general population, too.

But yeah, we'll see. It might very well end up infecting more people than the flu - or not. Time will tell. But unlike some self-professed lunatics, I won't lose sleep over it.

Latest estimates are 2.2, I think, relative to 1.3 for flu -- and something like 15 for measles, to give a sense of scale.

Incidentally, we should also bear in mind that cures and vaccines are not far off, as both are currently being optimized. It would almost be funny if people weren't suffering: in just over a century, we've gone from viruses being this mysterious invisible killer to me not being able to go twelve hours without someone showing me a model of spike protein or some chunk of capsid and asking me to design something to stop it -- and I'm not wasting iron on it, because other efforts are already farther along.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 23, 2020, 11:49:34 am »

and I'm not wasting iron on it
This is completely off-topic, but humour a foreigner. What does this mean? Is it some obscure idiom my google-fu can't find, or are people somehow using iron in doing this type of stuff (and I presume you mean the element, not the appliance).

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 23, 2020, 11:51:52 am »

This is completely off-topic, but humour a foreigner. What does this mean? Is it some obscure idiom my google-fu can't find, or are people somehow using iron in doing this type of stuff (and I presume you mean the element, not the appliance).
imam also curious on this

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 23, 2020, 12:16:52 pm »

Sorry; I talk to computationalists so often that I forget how much jargon we use.

"Iron" is a hazy way for bioinformaticists and other big data scientists (including computational biologists, like me) to refer to computing resources in a general way. We often have several ways to solve any given problem that use completely different ratios of system resources, so specific references to CPU-hours and so forth aren't always informative. At some point we just started to refer to how much iron will be required to do a thing as a way to compare computational expense across systems.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 23, 2020, 12:17:50 pm »

Also, these viruses really don't like warm weather and that's part of what did in SARS and MERS the first time.
https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/warm-weather-may-have-helped-suppress-coronavirus

Global warming to the rescue!
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 23, 2020, 02:03:38 pm »

Sorry for lack of link, but: A bunch of repatriated brazilians (who were living in Wuhan before) who'd been quarantined have now been all tested and... they're not infected. So that's nice and they've been let go to their families/friends.

And thus South America continues to prove that it is superior to North America because we have 0 cases here so far.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 23, 2020, 03:00:03 pm »

FRENCH GUYANA THOUGH

MAPS DON'T LIE
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 458