Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 413798 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3600 on: July 11, 2020, 11:12:32 am »

Until the internet there wasn't really a viable option for learning about the world for the majority of the populace.

You were limited to whatever your local library had, one book at a time, written by one author that you couldn't really verify, also sometimes that book was 10 years old.

I think a lot of previous generation's attitude comes from this mindset. Who else were you supposed to trust? Someone whose job it was to verify. A news anchor, or a national leader with (ostensibly) a team of dedicated experts. As recently as 25 years ago we had WEB CHAT ROOMS AND THE DAMN RADIO as the fastest way to share info between individual parties.

You're saying they've been unconditionally corrupt for my entire life and we can only prove it now because of the age of social media and omnipresent camera devices, rendering my entire lifelong system of belief suspect from the ground up? Can't handle it. Do not wish it to be so. Entrench. 
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: July 12, 2020, 11:23:17 am »

COVID parties sound very stupid. Why would anyone do something like that?

Individual cases will vary but the Chairman was spot on for this case:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/07/11/texas-patient-30-dies-after-attending-covid-party-doctor-says/5422175002/
(TLDR; Title of article is " 'I thought this was a hoax': Patient, 30, dies after attending 'COVID party,' doctor says")
I have a horrible suspicion that this is not an outlier in terms of motivation. 

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: July 12, 2020, 02:51:53 pm »

Cases in Florida were 15,000 yesterday, smashing New York's one day record of 12,000 from April.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: July 12, 2020, 03:03:14 pm »

Now they know there's a price to pay for reopening beaches, and ignoring the WHO and CDC for economic reasons.

Again, you can recover from being poor.  You dont recover from being dead. 

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: July 12, 2020, 03:06:51 pm »

Au contraire, Jesus recovered from being dead, and he said you would always have the poor so stop worrying about them. Checkmate libs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: July 12, 2020, 06:16:59 pm »

Wisconsin’s 4 highest daily rises in positive cases have been the last 4 days.

Not as bad as elsewhere, but worrisome all the same.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: July 12, 2020, 06:34:32 pm »

Headline pretty much sums up the whole thing:

"Patient who believed pandemic was a hoax dies after attending COVID party"

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/patient-who-believed-pandemic-was-a-hoax-dies-after-attending-covid-party/news-story/a321fc594942c1cd3d41a65b9fd51673

I'm sure there are people reading that who are sitting there saying clearly this guy's story is another hoax.

But I can't really get the mindset of people who think that the powers that be would collapse the entire economy via an elaborate hoax. The powers that be were just that, powers that "be". They were perfectly happy with the existing situation because it was engineered to suit them. The elites destroying everything makes no sense.

It also shows a severe lack of reasoning skills. Is every doctor and the entire medical profession in on the hoax? Is this an effective doctor-lead coup where they wrest control of society to medical experts, with the nurses and other medical workers as the loyal footsoldiers also going along with the hoax?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:43:40 pm by Reelya »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: July 12, 2020, 07:13:35 pm »

These are the same people that think climate change is a hoax, so the same reasons apply: anti-intellectualism and being sheltered. People raised on falsehoods will start out believing them, and people who don't trust science won't question their currently held beliefs.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: July 12, 2020, 07:16:05 pm »

If it requires a person to change their behavior outside of their comfort zone, they will seek reasons not to acknowledge the need for that change in behavior.  Denying the validity of the situation, is the easiest kind of challenge to make.

Naturally, lots of people do it.

Not hard to understand at all.  People want to get fast food, they want to go to the movies, they want to hang out with friends, they want to go to the beach and get tan--- The pandemic stops all those things, in the name of public health.  Rather than go "oh, I guess I can't do those things right now.", they go "NO! IT'S A LIE!!"

Then they go do those things.

And then people die.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: July 12, 2020, 07:28:50 pm »

Projection. Some people would very much like to collapse the current order of things[1], and so of course everything they see the 'other lot' doing (or centrists, or centric-leaning wimps and cowards that are supposed to be on their side) is working hand in asbestos glove with the Masonic Muslim Jew Radical Marxist Nazi Green Industrialist Illuminati of Chinese Lizards From Mars to ruin things exactly the wrong way, rather than how it should be done...

(Less extreme viewpoints may exist, but only amongst those mind-controlled shills with a Gates Foundation microchip injected into them by the MM...)

In other words, there's always someone.

[1] From whatever extremity they sit even further offshore from. Whether they're more Bernie Babe or Trumpite, Corbynite or Boris Bro. Rather than try to win the game of chess they see being played better by others, they'd like to just flip the table over and hope that scrabbling around trying to pick up the pieces becomes the new game, and that they'd be good at it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: July 12, 2020, 07:59:17 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:08:35 am by dragdeler »
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: July 12, 2020, 09:23:19 pm »

It'll be fine.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: July 12, 2020, 09:30:25 pm »

It'll be fine.

Only 350 people there.

Only about a dozen wore masks according to WPR, and also there was the disclaimer that, essentially, if you got sick it was your own damn fault.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: July 13, 2020, 08:52:49 am »

Here's another beauty, this time from Reelya's back yard.  (They'll probably tell you all about it shortly.  ;D)

https://au.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-fake-signs-melbourne-playgrounds-lockdown-100338864.html

Someone put up fake signs at children's playgrounds over the weekend in part of Melbourne saying that the playgrounds were open when they were officially closed. Part of the city is in lockdown over a cluster of new cases, about 200ish a day.  They came complete with forged signatures of the local Mayor and insisted that a "a strong immune system is best defence against the current COVID-19 threat and children are the safest community group" [sic]. Needless to say several families were fooled and used the playground.

That's maliciousness and not just stupidity.  Let's hope no one dies from it.  >:(

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: July 13, 2020, 08:55:15 am »

r/childfree rears its ugly head again no doubt
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 458