Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 408489 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Some idiots in Australia are likening the police to the Gestapo for enforcing mask-wearing in Melbourne.

And I can see where they're coming from! They give you a ticket/fine if you don't meet the dress code, how much more like the Gestapo could you get?

Seriously coddled fucks if they think there's any resemblance between what's happening and Nazi Germany.
Same in the Netherlands, the leader of 'Viruswaanzin' ('Virusmadness') compared obligatory facemasks (whcih we don't have) to the yellow stars jews were forced to wear in WWII.  Clearly they have no clue about the holocaust.  Idiot fucktards.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Two staff at my Gma's assisted-living were found positive on Tuesday.  By Friday (yesterday) they'd detected it in 9 residents.
I can't tell how I feel about this.  I don't think it's actually fitting in my head.  I can talk about it analytically, sorta, but it doesn't *feel* like anything yet.

So I can't begin to imagine the same thing happening in other facilities across the country, even the world.  The closest I'm getting is dark thoughts towards those who downplayed and accelerated this.  I don't know what the healthier response would be.  Protest I guess.  Was already in a hopeless mood lately, ugh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile

This isn’t allowed to happen, man. It’s all well and cool reading and hearing about people I’ve never heard of getting it on the news and that, but people I interact with - even internet people whose real names I don’t know - aren’t allowed to be close to it.

It’s too real now.

All of you, get into your bubbles immediately and don’t come out for the foreseeable.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I mean, it mostly just sucks. I've been more or less resigned to the plague killing one or both of my grandparents for a while now. They're not really doing enough to isolate and, of course, the area I'm in is doing basically fuckall to mitigate infection, schools opening to in-person next week, churches doing in person congregation and everything. Like half the local assisted living type joints in the county are already fucking plague pits, don't even talk about the prisons. So on and so forth.

So far as what do goes, you just... do what you can, whatever that may be. Hope it doesn't kill family or friends, but expect it. Maybe there's something you can do to help with potential funerary concerns or making sure wills are in order. If there's something you can send to them they might like -- music, letters, whatever -- then maybe consider it. If you have the energy or resources or whatever to protest or harangue the fuckers in charge that are inevitably dropping the ball, it probably can't hurt much (well, protest might with the police riots going on but eh).The

Hope your gma makes it through, rol :(
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

My uncle posted yet another covidiot denier video 😡

If you're curious in this one a particularily illiterate person  misinterpretated a goverment FAQ on an epidemiological survey, and conclusively demonstrated he did not know or understand what an epidemiological aurvey or a serology test were. For that matter he also demonstrated he was close to functional illiteracy
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

At least here in the US, the conservative demographic is basically defined as "people who like things the way they used to be/do not like change/have obsolete worldviews that do not want to change them."

This could be everything from "But the NUCLEAR FAMILY!!!! 1 MOM, 1 DAD, AND KIDS! NOTHING ELSE IS A FAMILY OMG WARRGBLR!!" to "Sex is dirty, no child under the age of 22 should be doing it, and then ONLY after getting properly married!" to "Black people are subhumans that should be cleaning houses, not rioting!" and all manner of places in-between, and beyond.

Covid-19 has turned basically EVERY SOCIAL CONVENTION on its mother fucking head, by disrupting every aspect of modern living.  Naturally, these people ^^ will be the most in denial, upset, refusal-to-comply, et-al about it.

That isn't to say that there aren't a shitload of Karens and their male counterparts out there from the liberal side of society-- just look at California.  "I have to wear a mask!? BUT MY MAKEUP!! I WANT TO TALK TO THE MANAGER!" and all that bullshit, and everything even close to that kind of "Me me me! I'm a PRINCESS!" mindset.

No.  This virus does not give a flying fuck about anything other than finding a viable host body to incubate and replicate inside of.  NOTHING ELSE.  Think with that modality. Fuck the makeup. Fuck your damn church service. Fuck your goddamn asymmetric bob hairstyle, and fuck no-- you can't talk to the motherfucking manager.  Ain't shit he can do about the crow plague, that shit is on all the people who refuse to practice mask discipline, refuse to stop making booty calls, refuse to stop going to parties, refuse to stop going to beaches, and refuse to take this GLOBAL EMERGENCY FUCKING SERIOUSLY.

And it's only going to get worse, because in another few months, it will be winter-- and soooooooooooooooooooo many school systems the world over are in mother fucking denial about jamming hundreds of kids into close quarters from a geographically wide area, and how fucking lightning fast that is going to spread this shit.

I knew this shit would eventually make it into my facility-- It was an inevitability.  My catching it as a result of being a primary care giver is also a statistical inevitability.  However, I will do the correct and proper thing, and NOT TRAVEL, NOT GO TO PARTIES, NOT GO TO THE STORE, AND STAY THE FUCK HOME WHEN I AM NOT AT WORK.

Everyone else needs to do the exact same thing.  It is not negotiable.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

Hope your Grandma fares well Rolan.  I have one remaining grandparent myself (she's 82) and she's in an assisted facility and there's always that specter of passing from any cause, not just this new one. 

I have had 4 people in my immediate family contract and recover from COVID-19, although they live in a different state so I don't see them often.  Among them - both of my parents, who are both in their mid 60s, which is not a low risk group.  But they are OK.  We were calling them about every day for the main two weeks they were really ill though.  It's definitely stressful.  I'm also worried about my wife's parents who are in their mid 70s and basically are just living their lives as per usual.  That will be more dramatic, although my father in law is basically on constant risk anyway because he's half-paralyzed due to a stroke 15 years ago and is constantly falling and whacking his head on things.

My personal take is that we are all essentially going to get the disease sooner or later.  We and everyone we know is also going to die at some point.  We have to just make the most of our time until those times - show love, don't take relationships for granted, etc. etc.  Take precautions yes, but don't live in fear.  If that makes sense.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

And it's only going to get worse, because in another few months, it will be winter-- and soooooooooooooooooooo many school systems the world over are in mother fucking denial about jamming hundreds of kids into close quarters from a geographically wide area, and how fucking lightning fast that is going to spread this shit.

Schools need to open right now, but also we must delay the election due to bubonic plague.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Dont be daft. "Later" is a great deal better than sooner (and infinitely better than "everyone at the same time). You think getting really sick with covid now is the same as six months ago, or will be the same six months from now? Think again
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Farfetched idea here: what if America started using large, live-in schools for students that are atleast young teens? That is, all the students live on campus, isolating them from the outside world, and reducing the potential for students to transfer infections between eachother, who will then transfer it to their families which are scattered all over town. There's still the possibility of infectious diseases spreading throughout the entire student base, and to the teachers (I imagine teachers would live on campus as well...) but otherwise the entire campus is closed off from the general public.

Of course, this would probably take 100x more funding than schools currently get, and it doesn't solve all the problems, but having the nation lag further behind in education, the asset that democracies need to function, might honestly be worse.

For younger children though... I'm stumped, as a large benefit for schooling young children is to socialize them and develop their emotions through relations with their peers, things that absolutely cannot happen through online learning. This is a very time sensitive portion of young children's lives, so delaying their social education by six months or a year hurts a lot, as they're not waiting to grow up, and they might become a very socially awkward, misfit generation.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Boarding schools are a thing, though, so if you want to know what they cost you just look up what they actually cost, you don't need to hypothesize. And they definitely don't cost 100 times as much as a school costs when you live at home. You're renting a room, the overhead costs are similar to just renting a room.

Some boarding schools have local students too, so you can look those up and see what the difference in tuition is.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:17:26 pm by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The ridiculous hypothesization on my part comes from the fact that it wouldn't just be a boarding school as we know them today, but also a pseudo-prison meant specifically for the Covid-era. I imagine that for the protection from the students infecting the general populance, or vice versa, both entrance and exit from the campus would need to be fairly difficult. Because students wouldn't have access to the things in their town, the school campus itself would need to be a small town containing all the facilities that are able to satisfy their needs, and that could entail any number of things, I don't even know how much that could be, hence the absurd ballpark on my part.

Though now that I've verbalized it like that, that sounds like a fairly cruel existence to force young teens to endure, but if it were designed correctly, it would be more of a gilded cage for learning.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:36:26 pm by JoshuaFH »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like the plot of half the animes in existence. Just come up with some ridiculous grading system and/or gladitorial games that the students have to go through and you've got a series. It's kind of a toss up between this and Mahouka for which school system is more horrible. At least this one lets you claw your way up by taking other students down, rather than just being graded Untermensch at the start, and that's it. Everyone outside being ravaged by a virus sounds like it would be a good plot addition to something like this.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 11:43:37 pm by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm glad we can see eye-to-eye Reelya. I haven't even gotten to the part where students are arbitrarily sorted into houses that are in competition with eachother, or the absurdly powerful student council that has far more administrative power than any students should ever be allowed to have.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As long as the students and their families promise to try to stay aloof from the rest of the world, I don't see any problem with most of the students only needing to be boarded at their place of learning each term, wherever they live they can use more local school-affiliated shopping areas made inaccessible to everyone else, transport to the school could be by special trains that nobody else can use and it need not even be a 'prison' if the nearby settlement to which students can be allowed to go shopping, is similarly aloof from the world, dedicated to the same hyperbubble as the student body, with all kinds of layered defences against outsiders just turning up. And discouraging car use, even on a flying visit.

eidt: ood spilling mistokes
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 03:33:01 am by Starver »
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 458