Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 413611 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The shopping area could in fact largely be staffed by students themselves. After all, the shops shouldn't be open when classes are on, anyway, so you can have students work their part time.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Isn't this the plot of "If..."
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"If..." the 1968 movie?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah, Scriver this is a bit different. That movie is about an uprising in the school, whereas we're talking about something where it's school policy that you have to fight each other in some sense as how you gain grades or go up to a better class.

Meanwhile, an American school that suspended a student for posting a picture of crowded hallways full of maskless students has now closed down because of Covid infections.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/08/hs-that-suspended-teen-who-tweeted-photo-of-hallway-has-9-covid-19-cases/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:57:25 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"If..." the 1968 movie?

It's not weird! It's a classic!

I'd honestly never heard of it. I was asking cause that seemed like a very old reference to be making, but it was the most probable one from what I could tell from googling it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not old! I'm a classic!
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Oh, WHOEVER COULD HAVE GUESSED this would happen!?

I mean, NOBODY could have predicted that jamming a bunch of kids together into a confined space, sourced from a geographically diverse area, could result in such a huge upswing in cases! Mind blowing!

/sarcasm (withering, searing hot, and potentially radioactive levels of sarcasm)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/10/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html

Seriously people, a desire for things to be normal is natural and understandable. However, reality does not give a fuck about what you or I want.  Public health is an area of policy that must be rooted in hard reality, and not political socio-engineering.  As such, "how I feel about it" is not that important.  "Does it save lives?" is what is important.  How you will deal with having your kidlings at home with you all the time is not a life and death situation. Sending kids off to school during a pandemic *IS*.

For the love of all that is good, please pressure your elected officials to do what is mandated by science and reality, and not what some loud Karens want.  Keep the kids home. Stay at home. Don't go to public gatherings.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I did message my lawmakers.  I sent a physical letter even.

All it did is put me on Rick Scott and Desantis' newsletters, which I have tried to unsubscribe from twice and still keep receiving, letters from conservative 'charities', emails and letters claiming to be computer repair companies saying they were contracted by microsoft to contact me about my computer issues, and emails telling me my non existent myspace and spotify accounts were hacked.

I did not receive any actual correspondence back, nor did either of them appear to even consider the stance of a person they are supposed to be representing.  Your representatives don't give a flying fuck what you think unless you make the envelope out of 100 dollar bills.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

How you will deal with having your kidlings at home with you all the time is not a life and death situation. Sending kids off to school during a pandemic *IS*.
But what if your boss demands you go to work and your kids are too young to be left home alone (because they could die from trying to climb stuff or open the door for a pedophile), and the alternative is losing your job, becoming homeless and your now homeless kids get run over by a bus while you are being raped in an alley by a crack dealer?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:07:29 am by dragdeler »
let

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Bring Your Child To Work" Day. Every. Goddam. Day.

(Including weekends, 'cos it sounds like that kind of boss.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

What Dragdeler said, give people money to stay home.  But not just alms, a fair wage.
Over here the government paid business that had to tell their workers to stay home during the lockdown enough to pay them 90% of their normal wage.

Bringing children to work is just impossible in a lot of workplaces.  And you'd get the same thing as in schools if more parents bring their kids, then they're just not grouped at school, they're grouped at their parents' workplaces.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:07:32 am by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

And you'd get the same thing as in schools if more parents bring their kids, then they're just not grouped at school, they're grouped at their parents' workplaces.
I mean, that would still sorta' be an improvement! At least you'd be removing an extra infection vector by not having the household in question potentially spread the plague to both workplace and school. That's probably going to be better than the infection spreading to both.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 458