Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 413319 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

NY Times: Nearly One-Third of Covid Patients in Study Had Altered Mental State. Largest study in the US analyzing neurological symptoms of COVID to date.

This has happened to two people I know who had COVID. One was delusional to the point that he imagined he was on a diving board over a lake of fire. He dived off his hospital bed face-first and broke his neck. He survived, but he spent a hell of a lot longer in the hospital as a result (and also was physically restrained). Another was a friend of my mothers, a woman who was young enough to not be in any age-related risk factors, very good health, lifetime runner, etc; who has been dealing with fits of fogginess and confusion ever since. It'll seem to get better for a while, it'll seem like she can live her old lifestyle, and then she'll be unable to drive without forgetting where she's going (this woman is a PhD, mind).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 12:56:00 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I was unaware of this aspect of the disease until now. I don't want to think about it anymore, but it sounds as if contracting the disease would be the most efficient means of forgetting about it. And that scares me.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There have been various anecdotes and some 'small N' studies suggesting some sort of neurological effects, but this is definitely the largest I've heard of. The one-third figure is also larger than the prior studies I've seen. Very concerning indeed.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, there's significant case evidence, even if we don't know precisely why it happens (my money remains on blood clot-induced general organ damage). Mental problems seem ubiquitous with severe cases, and lung damage has been reported even in very mild cases.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

My cousin couldn't sleep - when he'd nod off, his breathing would slow and then he'd wake up feeling on the brink of passing out. That was one guy, but if that happens to a lot of people, I could see fogginess from lack of sleep and low oxygen levels sticking around for a while.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

We should be preparing for a new economy where millions of people cannot work because of after-Covid disability.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

We could send them all to the meat factories
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

That's gonna be hard if they suffer from dizzyness and loss of coordination.  Better to send the meat factories to them
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

That's gonna be hard if they suffer from dizzyness and loss of coordination.  Better to send the meat factories to them
I dont see it as a big deal. They can always be brought in on stretchers.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From what I hear (unless this was a different incident altogether) the spreadsheet was not in Excel but in some older file format that can "only" handle about 65k rows of data. Apparently no one realized this until recently, which means that anything beyond the first 65k entries or so basically didn't get saved.

ETA: source
I'm a big fan of Excel (or, rather .XLS(notX) from Libre/OpenOffice) for far more things than I should be using it for... But you'd have thought they'd have been using an actual databasing application in this case. Maybe SAS, which I know is entirely suitable for the purpose, though there are other ones that can be clinically(/financially/etc) certifiable for such critical uses.

On top of that, it is triviality itself to sanity-check with a 'compilation totals' record that immediately alert you to discrepancies. Sloppy, very sloppy.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Soylent green is people!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Soylent green is people!
And low quality in that.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

The problem is that the ruling elite will get a taste for not just figuratively eating the poor, but literally as well.

Once the glut of supply runs out, they will complain mightily about the increasing costs of Soylent Worker.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On the upside, it resolves the issue of the unemployed and homeless, they're on the dollar menu!

Just need to start up my new chain restaurant: Mcpeople's!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Oh FFS stop putting words in my mouth, they are NOT workers, they are invalids!

IMO It is every citizen's final duty to go into the factories, and become one with all the people
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 458