Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 412517 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:What Wave is it Now? Edition
« Reply #4620 on: December 12, 2020, 03:47:50 pm »

Heading back towards the topic a recent Australian survey shows that the covid epidemic has increased support for the idea of a Universial Basic Income (to 58% up from about 50-51%, if memory serves).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-11/survey-says-most-australians-welcome-universal-basic-income/12970924

In a bit of an overstatement the article opens with:
Nearly two-thirds of Australians say they would support the introduction of a universal basic income (UBI), according to a new poll.

Personally I think the political class has missed a huge opportunity to more to a UBI during the coronavirus epidemic, since the economy is already disrupted the opportunity cost of the transition is much much lower.

It should be noted that those groups that are most strongly opposed to UBI include (or are basically) the politicians, journalists and business people which is why despite decent popular support it is consistently trashed as an idea.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: December 13, 2020, 08:56:55 am »

Here's a possibly stupid idea: if I were to make mesh of thin copper wire and put it on the outside of a mask, would it improve the mask's protective capabilities?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: December 13, 2020, 09:14:49 am »

People are selling them (or copper threaded masks, anyway), at least, so...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: December 13, 2020, 10:05:22 am »

People are selling them (or copper threaded masks, anyway), at least, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwy-h1aisbE

Here's a possibly stupid idea: if I were to make mesh of thin copper wire and put it on the outside of a mask, would it improve the mask's protective capabilities?

Now seriously, why would it do anything?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: December 13, 2020, 10:20:57 am »

Those +2 Cations could somehow, maybe, render the viral capsids incapable of attaching to your delicate mucousa!

Oh who am I kidding-- It's straight up a marketing gimmick.  Same as magnets and the like in socks or gloves.

Now, a proper, disposable n95 surgical mask, that works. (when properly used.)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: December 13, 2020, 10:22:10 am »

You could totally make a cool mask with a copper overlay though. Wouldn't protect you better than if the copper wasn't there, but sometimes you gotta look cool while also keeping everyone around you safe.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: December 13, 2020, 10:23:45 am »

That would interfere with how the n95 mask does its thing.  It is electrostatic, and attracts the neutrally charged viral particles, and makes them stick to the fabric. Something conductive, like copper, would likely impede performance.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: December 13, 2020, 10:29:58 am »

No no, clearly the role of the mesh is to act as a faraday cage of sorts and prevent your brainwaves being affected by the lizard people who are orchestrating this whole thing.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: December 13, 2020, 01:10:07 pm »

It is electrostatic, and attracts the neutrally charged viral particles, and makes them stick to the fabric

...how are neutral particles going to be affected by electrostatic, much less attracted by it?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 04:07:53 pm by Eschar »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: December 13, 2020, 01:58:38 pm »

Those +2 Cations could somehow, maybe, render the viral capsids incapable of attaching to your delicate mucousa!
Tin can be +4. So can lead.

So solder some pewter into your mask and you'd be even safer!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: December 13, 2020, 02:06:02 pm »

Decorate your mask with pewter wizards and dragons!
: D
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: December 13, 2020, 02:15:04 pm »

It is electrostatic, and attracts the neutrally charged viral particles, and makes them stick to the fabric

...how are neutral particles going to be affected by electrostatic, much less attracted by it?
Electrostatic induction causes neutral particles to be attracted to charges.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: December 13, 2020, 02:18:20 pm »

(Shifted this bit of quote - Starver)
The serious answer: Neutral particles still have charges, just balanced in the sum of all components. Even a neutron has a charge distribution 'within' it, and an intense(/close) enough charge gradient across it can attract one charge more than it repels the opposite bit. One of the models used for neutrons suggests that, albeit secondary to the nuclear force, the negative 'skin' helps to join it to the protons in a nucleus.

(Similar to unmagnetised metal (i.e. with no overall coherent magnetic domains as per ferromagnetism) can respond to a suitably crafted external magnetic field by aligning, paramagnetically. And/or induced electrical eddies.)

Ah, slightly ninjaed.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 02:22:17 pm by Starver »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: December 13, 2020, 04:08:32 pm »

Thanks!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: December 13, 2020, 05:05:46 pm »

Heh, I just heard Germany is forbidding fireworks for New Years because of the yearly spike in emergency room visits.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 458