Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 413199 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:What Wave is it Now? Edition
« Reply #4650 on: December 15, 2020, 10:04:25 pm »

From the initial info (albeit sourcing those that would like it downplayed) it's just 'a thing' and not good or bad in any particular way (either in transmissability, effects or how we vaccine-prep the body)

Coronavirii(??) were always supposed to be that much less mutable than the various influenzae(!!) but we already had enough variation to confirm US outbreaks mostly came via Europe. It's inevitable that something will change in the spikes at some point. When a rare "vaccine-breaking" mutation occurs and is tested against said vaccines, then inevitabltly there'll be a selective pressure against the original and for the "Covid-21"[1]. So long as that's not a co-mutation with any other aspect (that makes it more 'violent', case-by-case) then we're no worse off. With the various different countering vaccine methods being used, it might even give a smaller player in that game a boon when their solution continues to work even while Pfizer/whoever has to 'retool' their mRNA product (not difficult, but will need a little bit of effort). And a spectrum of products (perhaps in the same individuals) can probably quash such viral developments.

It'll be 'fun' learning the ins and outs of this. Gearing up the current worldwide (aspirationally!) rollout to be flexible/prismatic like that. I don't necessarily see it going that way, even, but even less so deepening the downward spiral. At least where the spiral is trying to be raised back up into the light again.

A number of other news items passed, that I expected to be mentioned over the last few days. Like wild mink in the US (somewhere in the boondocks, but can't remember where without scrolling back on the news site) seem to have caught the zeitgeist on Covid (unlikely to have come via the Danish/Dutch farmed mink, but I assume there's a backwoods mink farmer in the midwest who repeated the human-to-animal transmission, then had the inevitable escapees[2] to link that to the wild pop.) - Not sure what impact that'll have on 'natural' reservoirs for the virus, but sounds like it's a potential beachhead.

[1] Ok, so it probably won't be different enough from the current SARS-CoV-2, but maybe it'll be sub-typed, perhaps "Covid-19-ffs" or "-wth"

[2] Or releasees, depending on the mink-farmer/nerf-herder involved.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: December 16, 2020, 05:12:23 pm »

[1] Ok, so it probably won't be different enough from the current SARS-CoV-2, but maybe it'll be sub-typed, perhaps "Covid-19-ffs" or "-wth"

:)
For now it is being called VUI – 202012/01 (Variant Under Investigation, month put under investigation and the first case to be done so in that/this month).  Expect it to get a proper name down the track, plus a solid nickname if it turns out to be clinically significant. But it will be a 'strain' 'variant' 'mutation' or perhaps indeed aspire to the lofty heights of a 'sub-type' of SARS-CoV-2/Covid-19.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: December 17, 2020, 04:32:42 am »

What's the punishment for inciting child mass murder nowadays?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: December 17, 2020, 07:20:31 pm »

A permanent consultation position with a good salary, unfortunately

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: December 17, 2020, 07:28:23 pm »

A permanent consultation position with a good salary, unfortunately
A Moderate Proposal
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: December 18, 2020, 04:13:33 pm »

Greetings from California, the COVID capital of the US .-.

This is very "local politics," but despite being at less than 15% ICU bed capacity, someone recently had the audacity to write this Opinion letter demanding that schools reopen because "COVID-19 poses limited risk to children."

I'm annoyed. I support working on a solution for children of parents who must work outside the home. The second comment currently on the article is quite good, I feel. The safest place for children is in school, for sure. But demanding that school resume at the top of the biggest infection peak of this pandemic, right before the Christmas/New Year's double header, is irresponsible. They are already recruiting college students as emergency teachers because we have a shortage right now. Unfortunately, I can tell you from painful experience that being a skilled teacher has a steep learning curve. It is not a job that you can do to spec with a college degree and warm body. There is a lot of specialized and subject-specific knowledge required.

On a personal level I want to add that one of the reasons why I stopped teaching was due to new, yearly mandated trainings on how to respond to school shooters. The training involves, among other things, listening to different sounds and ruling them in or out as gunfire vs. not gunfire. As someone who spent my early childhood in a rough neighborhood, I already know what gunfire sounds like, and in fact, I hit the ground when I hear cars backfiring. I understand and accept risk in my life but had 2-3 of my own students expelled due to a "credible threat" a few years ago. It annoys me that we are now being asked to die on the job.

Actually, we were also told that if there was a major disaster, we were all expected to stay on campus with our students, possibly for multiple days, and would not be permitted to care for our own children. We were told that this is what having an in loco parentis responsibility meant. There was not negotiation available to meet the needs of, say, single parents.

Yes, there are other dangerous professions. Obviously. I am annoyed in part because the patriarchal order is supposedly in place in part because men are being signed up for the dangerous jobs, and thus incurring respect and better pay. It is frustrating that now that the chips are down, the strapped, under-paid female-dominated profession of teaching is being told "all this, and also, we expect you to risk being shot or dying of infectious disease for the benefit of others' children."

Every teacher knows how fast a disease goes through a school.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: December 18, 2020, 04:18:25 pm »

I can empathize. Teaching here in the UK reduces the risk of in school violence, but we still have protocols in place for "critical incidents", of which we have had a few.

As for Covid - the general atmos is that we are expendable, as long as the economic wheels keep turning.
This is a blank sig.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: December 18, 2020, 04:27:42 pm »

As for Covid - the general atmos is that we are expendable, as long as the economic wheels keep turning.
You donīt say

Mind you, I was not working during the horrible ppe shortages in March. Where I am there is no shortage right now, I think (I still buy my own PPE just to be able to field better masks full time though). But you do feel when push comes to shove they treated us as expendables. Improvised PPE was bullshit. No PPE orders to "avoid panic" earlier on were even more bullshit.

My former boss was subject to one such and caught covid. Iīm surprised he obeyed TBH. Iīd have refused to work without a mask on. Period. Itīs easier to leave the unemployment office than ICU
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: December 18, 2020, 04:54:39 pm »

I would also like to remind us, as hospitals begin to ration, that federally, it is legal to deny medical care in general to LGBT patients.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: December 18, 2020, 05:29:15 pm »

Isn't it legal to deny medical care to anyone in the US unless it's an emergency?

in loco parentis

I guess this means something like "parents in the location" but all I see is "crazy parents"
Love, scriver~

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: December 18, 2020, 05:31:52 pm »

Isn't it legal to deny medical care to anyone in the US unless it's an emergency?

in loco parentis

I guess this means something like "parents in the location" but all I see is "crazy parents"

Basically means "In place of parents", and describes the legal standing of we teachers - in short, we have the rights and responsibilities of parents under law when pupils are in our care.
This is a blank sig.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: December 18, 2020, 05:34:22 pm »

our HEROES, people

We won't treat them like heroes, but we'll make it a propaganda moment anyways.  Just like war vets.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: December 18, 2020, 05:36:41 pm »

our HEROES, people

We won't treat them like heroes, but we'll make it a propaganda moment anyways.  Just like war vets.

Rememer to go out and fucking clap, people.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: December 18, 2020, 05:37:08 pm »

While there's no law strictly demanding non-emergency medical care, it is rarely denied for reasons other than money. Equal protection makes it illegal to do so for reasons of race, religion, sex, nationality, veteran status, being 40 or older, pregnancy, disability status, or genetic information.

SCOTUS ruled in a case recently that discrimination against orientation or gender identity is necessarily sex discrimination, and it was even 6-3 so Barrett being on the court shouldn't change anything there, but it has yet to be applied explicitly to medical care. You might say that it's "pre-illegal" right now.

Not that any of this matters if you don't have the $$$.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 458