Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 412876 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mutating into COVID-21 Edition
« Reply #5010 on: January 26, 2021, 02:53:56 pm »

Some of our cities have now forbidden the use of face-covering garments outside on the streets, including facemasks.
Police want to be able to recognize potential rioters on security footage, and be able to judge intent by facial expression when on patrol.

So if you now go to the supermarket, you can get fined for wearing a facemask on your way there, and you can get fined for not wearing a facemask inside the supermarket.

EDIT: dutch indeed. No, our ultras never were particularily bananas. This whole situation is unheard of. Football supporters sometimes riot and throw fireworks at the police, but we've never seen trashed shops or plundering before.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 02:55:46 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: January 26, 2021, 04:38:06 pm »

So facial shields?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: January 26, 2021, 05:42:20 pm »

Pretty quiet evening in the Netherlands.
Odd thing that the football supporters have seemingly switched sides tonight, there were reports of them being part of the riots over the last few days, now they seemingly support the police.
I'm as uncomfortable as Martinuzz with this sudden development, though I guess I should not complain if it means the end of this foolishness.

The decline in covid cases is slowing down now that the "british" variant is gaining ground. Better hope that this whole curfew thing is actually worth all the trouble. We should see the effects in a few days.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: January 26, 2021, 06:44:18 pm »

The football supporters thing is not completely unsurprising. Usually when they go out and make amok, they go to the rivals' cities when their club plays there.  Now the rioters are trashing ' their town'.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: January 27, 2021, 02:51:31 am »

As a side effect of the global anti-corona measures, the flu has been nearly eradicated.

https://www.who.int/influenza/gisrs_laboratory/updates/summaryreport/en/

Makes me slightly worried though. If the corona lockdowns are over, how much more ill are we going to get from the flu for lack of training of our immune system with it when it comes back?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: January 27, 2021, 03:29:05 am »

Influenza has been with humanity so long that this effect is negligible now.

The thing that interests me is if any of these flu strains lack a non-human reservoir. If so, we may have knocked out some of these strains permanantly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: January 27, 2021, 03:35:06 am »

Flu is unusual as a virus.

It is actually something like 4 distinct DNA entities, bundled together.  This is how it can change so radically fast. (after a single infection)  If you catch more than one strain of flu at once, the DNA that makes it into the flu capsid can be shuffled from the "deck" of DNA entities available, mixed-and-matched, allowing the next iteration of the virus to have different parentage, and different qualities.

For this reason, viral reservoir in say, birds, swine, and co, can sustain a wide variety of such combinations, when taken together.

COVID does not seem to have such "discrete DNA entities", and is instead just a single loop of DNA.  It would suffer from not getting "sexual-like recombination in the host" that flu does.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: January 27, 2021, 10:03:59 am »

Starting this weekend, children under the age of 12 in Belgium are no longer allowed to have more than one hobby.  They will have to make hard life choices whether they rather play football or guitar. Hobby groups are not allowed to be greater than 10 (so I guess football is a no go anyways).

Children older than 12 on the other hand, are getting more freedom. After months of solitude, they will be allowed again to meet with maximum 10 friends, as long as it is outdoors.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: January 27, 2021, 10:05:04 am »

As a side effect of the global anti-corona measures, the flu has been nearly eradicated.
Spoiler: 13/May/2020 (click to show/hide)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: January 27, 2021, 10:08:14 am »

'Member "Worry more about the flu, bro"?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: January 27, 2021, 10:09:40 am »

Why the hell should it matter how many hobbies the kidlings have, as long as they are indoor ones, that do not require socialization?

EG, I draw, I knit/crochet, and I do tech-stuff.  None of those require me to go be elbow-to-asshole with other people.  I can just decide which I want to do that day, and do it, and stay happy and safe indoors, and socially distanced from anyone else.

Now, for those families that want their kid to be GREAT at soccer, AND at basketball, AND at baseball, AND take them to Judo, AND ... AND...  where all those "AND" situations involve ANOTHER social setting, packed to the gills with more kids who's parents insist that they go and do those things---

SURE-- YES-- PLEASE LIMIT THAT.

But "hobby" is not the same thing as "Shit I make my kid do to keep them occupied, and out of trouble, that keeps them so engaged socially that they have no time to think or do anything else."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: January 27, 2021, 10:12:47 am »

Belgians have always been good at inventing completely ridiculous laws and rules.

For example, take the Belgian elections.. Over here in the Netherlands, we vote every 4 years to determine which of the political parties are going to form the new government for the coming 4 years... In Belgium, they vote every 4 years to determine which of the political parties are going to fail to form a new government the coming 4 years.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:15:18 am by martinuzz »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: January 27, 2021, 10:14:47 am »

Starting this weekend, children under the age of 12 in Belgium are no longer allowed to have more than one hobby.  They will have to make hard life choices whether they rather play football or guitar.
They should take inspiration from (if they don't want to actually take up) Chess-Boxing... All hail the rise of Frisbee-Skate-Stamp-Painting-Fishing-Treehouses!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: January 27, 2021, 10:15:10 am »

It might (and sounds like) be something more specific than just a hobby as a general thing? Something getting lost in translation or summation. 'Cause that sounds more like a limit on hobby groups or after school programs or somethin' along those lines than some kind of you-can't-knit-and-handegg-only-one thing.

And, like, limiting how much group stuff the folks in society least capable of following basic precautions is getting up to isn't really that bad of an idea, in the abstract, y'know? Implementation sounds like it might be sorta' scuffed, tho'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: January 27, 2021, 10:17:26 am »

Nah no translation garble. The word for hobby in both Belgian and english is hobby.

As for enforcement, the Belgian government has said that they trust the parents to be responsible.
Haha. We've seen were that has lead to here, saying to trust the people to be responsible.

THEY KILL POOR INNOCENT PIANOS.

EDIT: in other news, the row between the EU and AstraZeneca escalates. AstraZeneca refuses to talk to Brussels.

Merkel is now preparing the German troops to invade the UK, to secure the vaccin.
This should be a breeze now that the UK is grounding all it's planes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:20:55 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 458