Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 413500 times)

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:2019-nCoV Edition
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2020, 08:17:28 am »

This is definitely far worse and infection than SARS. 

This is actually what I suspect but I wouldn't say "definitely" and I wouldn't imply its bio-weapon when there's no solid evidence. What I would say is that it has infected much more people than SARS.

Whether it were a leaked bio-weapon or not, you have to take every measure you need for an epidemic.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2020, 08:18:07 am »

Mostly death by internal asphyxiation or blood flooding the lungs would be the case of death. The leaked videos directly from the ground from Chinese citizens tell a different story. People just falling down to their deaths in a collapse? This isn't a regular "flu".

The only thing less reliable than the Chinese government is just any random people, mate

But the people in China recording are primary sources, witness accounts. Chinese nationals know their own government well- they wouldn't risk their hide with the Chinesegov bearing down on all of without a FRIGGIN' good reason, especially when citizens are being detained for exposure on the ground material for viewership. We've seen gruesome things afoot from there. The thing that has gotten me the most is the sepsis "sudden death" syndrome.

An India research firm (even though they "retracted" their information) laid an implication that this virus is HIV-like.. So even if you seem recovered from the outside, the sudden death syndrome can still trigger. Not only that, you'd still be a vector.. I honestly believe China not opening up to full international cooperation will be a death sentence to us all. Too much misinformation downplaying this, too much critical pieces being shown that don't match up with "official" reports..
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 08:26:14 am by Lidku »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2020, 08:24:06 am »

Here is the case report regarding the first USA coronavirus patient from Washington

He ended up developing pneumonia after a long hospitalization, but managed to recover. I think he was discharged back to home monitoring two or three days ago. They used remdesivir on him.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2020, 08:26:07 am »

The video is a real video, but what happens in Wuhan(where hospitals are overloaded) is unlikely to happen in, say, US. where there's less than ten patients and the whole country is awared(if not alarmed enough as you say).

And if you are not scientist, you can't actually know if the paper says what you think it says.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2020, 08:32:59 am »

Wow, those whacky Chinese sure are evil. They release a bioweapon on their own citizens, AND they make it less lethal than SARS. So they suffer for longer, obviously.

They could have easily released it by mistake, maybe they were brewing it up in an event of a War taking place. Its naive to think we don't have anything up our sleeves either.

*I* think that's implausible, if only because infectious bioweapons aren't very good weapons at all. The odds of massive collateral damage to your own citizens and allies is way too large, even if you have an antidote already prepared in mass quantities. And then if an antidote gets into circulation, your enemies can reverse engineer it. I suppose you could try to sneakily vaccinate all your own troops and citizens en masse, so you could have a one-sided kill agent, but if it's capable of mutation at all, and I don't know how you could stop it from mutating, that's a risky gamble that can backfire in your face. Germs/viruses are very bad allies.

Though I suppose I can easily imagine people being stupid and doing something like trying to make a bioweapon anyway, even with all the risks.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2020, 08:35:47 am »

This is actually what I suspect but I wouldn't say "definitely" and I wouldn't imply its bio-weapon when there's no solid evidence. What I would say is that it has infected much more people than SARS.

Generally viruses slide on a scale: high infection rates are less deadly. The reason for that is simple - if a virus is very deadly, the carrier is out of the game quicker and therefore spread it less. The worst in history are around 30% deadly - since that gives enough time to spread, and still stacks up bodies.

But the people in China recording are primary sources, witness accounts.
coalboat (right?) and I are also in China. My bud in Wuhan has said it's rough to be shut in all the time, but it's not Raccoon City over there. Crematories are always packed, btw.

I get your sentiments, really I do - but panic is the deadliest part of any disaster. I believe China's actions have been in line with trying to suppress the virus first, then suppress the panic second.

The US is going through an election cycle with a President who has had a bizarre relationship to China. I think the US's actions can be called into question easily at this time.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2020, 08:39:19 am »

What? Check reddit with actual medical personnel in US hospitals- we aren't ready if this epidemic takes hold. US doctors are consistently overloaded during the flu season where not enough beds to treat everyone- just like China right now. Now just imagine this virus. I don't know if US citizens have the same grit as the Chinese Doctors literally working themselves to death to try and elevate the virus. The fact there is already 11 cases in the US.. is mind boggling. Worse is that alot of the cases seem to be in the West Coast. The homeless there can't be allowed to catch it..

JoshuaFH: Exactly. Hopefully this resolved and the parties if it was we think released it should be brought to justice. This is also mere speculation though. It could've been exotic meat, considering Ebola had a similar debut.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2020, 08:40:10 am »

Wait delphonso your in China right now? Are you a citizen or an expat? Is the locality your in quarantined?

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2020, 08:44:19 am »

For people in Wuhan the lock down of public service is as deadly as the virus. For people in other parts of the world though, the virus itself is not going to be a degree of magnitude more dangerous than SARS.

Besides, from the video you don't know if the death is "sudden". One could suffocate from compromised lungs and in the same time look just fine from afar. If there's real "sudden death" case the WHO has no reason not to reveal.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2020, 08:51:35 am »

An expat, but I've been living here for several years, working on citizenship. I'm in Yunnan until the end of this month, but was in Guangdong until early this week. Guangdong reacted as I would expect - since SARS tore apart Guangzhou. Yunnan is noticeably lax.

Some xiaoqu have been quarantined in Kunming - if there's a suspected case in a building, they lock up the whole place until it's confirmed and everyone gets tested. They're recommending everyone stay inside as much as they can, and fever checks happen frequently when you're out. Everyone has taken it seriously here, and are uncertain. I think that's why I'm so adamant about not panicking and worrying people further.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2020, 08:52:38 am »

It's too bad the US never got that universal health care thing worked out. We were a nice country. Kinda.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2020, 08:55:51 am »

What? Check reddit with actual medical personnel in US hospitals- we aren't ready if this epidemic takes hold. US doctors are consistently overloaded during the flu season where not enough beds to treat everyone- just like China right now. Now just imagine this virus. I don't know if US citizens have the same grit as the Chinese Doctors literally working themselves to death to try and elevate the virus. The fact there is already 11 cases in the US.. is mind boggling. Worse is that alot of the cases seem to be in the West Coast. The homeless there can't be allowed to catch it..

JoshuaFH: Exactly. Hopefully this resolved and the parties if it was we think released it should be brought to justice. This is also mere speculation though. It could've been exotic meat, considering Ebola had a similar debut.
Oh my god 11 cases in a country with 200+million inhabitants. Oh the humanity.

You're going into hysterics over nothing.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2020, 08:56:07 am »

Hmmm... I don't know if this was posted here yet, but it seems as if Cruise Ship "Diamond Princess" has been quarantined completely due to 10 confirmed cases of Coronovirus aboard the vessel.

That’s 3700 people being quarantined for 14 days on a boat. Cruise ship rooms can be pretty tiny. Wouldn’t want to be the ones in the interior staterooms with no window...
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2020, 08:57:38 am »

This virus.. Isn't natural. Ebola is purportedly similar to this Novel Corona because they both supposedly originate from "animals".

So does the flu most years, and, in fact, a lot of viruses.

What? Check reddit

Ah, the most reliable source on Internet. A bunch of people you don't know on a website known for defending Nazi-ism, pedophilia, and conspiracy theories.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2020, 09:03:06 am »

Maybe I'm totally bozo.. Just generally I hope everything that's being implicated is wrong. To be super aware though, since no one is caring right now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 458