Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 408504 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:2019-nCoV Edition
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2020, 10:47:53 pm »

Latest official numbers from China:

Sorry about the mess - WeChat translate jumbles things up a bit.

Number of recoveries is on the steady climb - hopefully it'll surpass deaths soon.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:54:14 pm by delphonso »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2020, 08:12:30 am »

Sweden had her first confirmed case yesterday. Luckily (or so it is reported, tinfoil on) the victim had the sense to remain indoors, even going as far as to have friends drop of food at the door, as go not interact with people.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2020, 08:11:41 pm »

Isn't Sweden sparsely populated outside of the southern cities anyways? Whereabouts was this carrier milling?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2020, 08:42:04 pm »

Isn't Sweden sparsely populated outside of the southern cities anyways? Whereabouts was this carrier milling?
A woman in Jönköping county
Had travel history in Wuhan
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2020, 09:36:53 pm »

Total cured has surpassed total dead.

A bird flu has broken out in Hunan (near Hubei/Wuhan). It has not been reported in humans yet.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 09:56:46 pm by delphonso »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2020, 09:54:58 pm »

149 cases outside China in total. Just to keep the perspective.

Also for the sake of perspective, the metropolitan area of Wuhan has close to 20 million people, so if we were to use a Scandinavian comparator, it's roughly the same population as the entire peninsula.

This doesn't mean that caution isn't in order because with this kind of stuff it's better to be safe than sorry. But I think that the average pedestrian can amplify his relaxed state. We're not looking at a 28 days later scenario.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2020, 08:47:10 pm »

There's sporadic reports coming out of Wuhan, of uncertain provenance, of doctors treating a hundred people a day and funeral homes overloaded with dead.  In any case it's probably a safe bet not to trust official numbers from China.

I've heard it has a seven day course of infection.  Rolling back the number of infections to a week ago makes the death rate look substantially spookier, can't exactly count people who started showing symptoms yesterday as survivors.

I guess we'll see how it goes.  I don't think it will be as big a deal outside China.  Remember incubation is up to two weeks, so the first cases in December had been contagious for quite a while.  It's been long enough that I don't think we're going to have the same problem at least in America and Europe.  Looks like we didn't get any early incubating travelers, or at least not many.  So hopefully we have time to keep it contained.
Shoes...

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2020, 09:39:52 pm »

There are currently conflicting cases. Some patients suffer from severe symptoms and eventually die, while a few patients recover on their own. The latter includes some who got ill (and assumed they only got regular flu) and recovered before this disease went to news, and a doctor who documented the whole process of her symptoms and recovery at home(as the hospital was already overloaded).

I agree it might not infect a lot globally, as most of the world have already been refusing travellers from China(which is where I live), but it may still infect many inside the country.

I wonder if there are anyone who was in Brazil during the Zika epidemic. Is the coronavirus situation worse than Zika?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2020, 09:58:14 pm »

There's sporadic reports coming out of Wuhan, of uncertain provenance, of doctors treating a hundred people a day and funeral homes overloaded with dead.  In any case it's probably a safe bet not to trust official numbers from China.

I've heard this twice on this forum and nowhere else. Got a link? I might be able to shine some light on the situation.

This Zika virus question is good. I've only been making comparisons to SARS - but that was some time ago.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2020, 10:11:25 pm »

of doctors treating a hundred people a day and funeral homes overloaded with dead.

With thousands infected a hundred patients a day is not unexpected. And some of the deceased were not directly killed by the virus but by the sudden paralysis of public service.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2020, 10:45:53 pm »

Chen Qiushi made a detailed video about the situation on the ground in Wuhan

This guy got arrested by the police for filming this, but was released because the video already went viral

I don’t the numbers China puts out because:
1. There is a massive bottleneck in testing kits available + time it takes for testing
2. A continual stream of videos that kept saying the ground situation is worse than reported
3. The Chinese government’s history of information censorship
4. The fact that China seems really into arresting folks who have any grievances with China’s response
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2020, 12:57:19 am »

I'll finish that long video later, but from what I watched, that seems to be expected of emergency response, especially with a virus. I'll finish up and listen to his points later, though.

Banning media and arresting dissodents is common here. Take the pollution in Beijing as an example. Several journalists got nabbed, but since then, Beijing's air quality has genuinely improved. It seems thats the price for progress.

I do find this video disturbing, though - since this guy just wandered in. If these are related to coronavirus, the security/contamination risks are outrageous. Bodies just sitting in an open van? Unheard of.

I can't even walk into a supermarket here without being stopped and getting my temperature taken.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2020, 06:57:43 am »

Take care, both of you (and everyone else there)!

Sweden evacuated her citizens yesterday (or at least some of them) and now they're in "voluntary quarantine". I wonder how that works. Pizza every day? I guess this is the only upside of being able to pay for stuff without as much need for cash.
Love, scriver~

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2020, 01:35:26 pm »

You know it's possible to improve air quality and also not arrest journalists
Shoes...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2020, 05:53:00 pm »

I wonder if there are anyone who was in Brazil during the Zika epidemic. Is the coronavirus situation worse than Zika?
Zika is only lethal if untreated. It's basically a weaker form of Dengue. Chicungunha popped up at the same time (and is also basically Dengue), and you didn't hear much about it.

What made it actually newsworthy was its effects on fetuses.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 458