Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 412780 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #270 on: February 22, 2020, 07:56:19 am »

I agree. The one in Sweden makes it look like the case is in Svea, when in reality it is in Geatia, which is a very important distinction because Geats are much better than Sveas and thus it's much worse if something happens to them.

Edit: gotta love all the tiny island countries and their perfectly round representation bubble, though. Especially in the southern Caribbean
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:00:54 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 22, 2020, 08:10:16 am »

I agree. The one in Sweden makes it look like the case is in Svea, when in reality it is in Geatia, which is a very important distinction because Geats are much better than Sveas and thus it's much worse if something happens to them.

Edit: gotta love all the tiny island countries and their perfectly round representation bubble, though. Especially in the southern Caribbean
Well of course. Fuck the Sveas.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 22, 2020, 08:33:53 am »

Cases are spreading in Italy now.
Time to bust out those vintage plague masks
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 22, 2020, 09:01:45 am »

Likewise, it looks like there's cases in French Guyana... when it's actually in France but since FG is a colony overseas territory, it looks like the virus has made its way to South America.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 22, 2020, 03:48:01 pm »

The incubation period for the virus could be much longer than 14 days.
Authorities from the Chinese province of Hubei report that a man that was tested positive for the virus only began to show signs of illness 27 (!!) days after contracting the virus.
He had visited his sister, who is also infected, in Shennongjia on january 24th.
On the 20th of february he developed a fever.

If this report turns out to be accurate, it will make it much harder to stop the spread of the virus.

Meanwhile in Italy, confirmed cases of infections went up from 16 to 59 within a day.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 22, 2020, 06:21:46 pm »

Italy is now at 76 cases and is now moving towards locking down 11 towns
Now we’ll get to see how a democracy implements large scale quarantine vs an authoritarian state

But doesn’t Italy also have seasonal flu? Shouldn’t they focus on that instead?  8)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 22, 2020, 06:36:12 pm »

The incubation period for the virus could be much longer than 14 days.
Authorities from the Chinese province of Hubei report that a man that was tested positive for the virus only began to show signs of illness 27 (!!) days after contracting the virus.
He had visited his sister, who is also infected, in Shennongjia on january 24th.
On the 20th of february he developed a fever.

If this report turns out to be accurate, it will make it much harder to stop the spread of the virus.

Meanwhile in Italy, confirmed cases of infections went up from 16 to 59 within a day.
Last I noticed a extreme edge incubation period of 28-30 days was confirmed like last week or so. Most incidences seem to kick off much sooner than that, though. Least as near as I could parse a 3+ week period was possible, but only a pretty small fraction (memory wants to say <=2%, but could be misremembering) of the infections actually managed it, or something along those lines. Which means that bit isn't as bad as it could be/sounds.

That said, it doesn't need 28 days to be a bit of a nightmare to contain. It's aerosolized and capable of largely asymptomatic spread, as well as not being super deadly or fast acting (also mostly looking like the flu symptoms wise, in the middle of flu season). Even without the lol 3-4 weeks thing it's something that gives a good go at just laughing at containment efforts.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 22, 2020, 06:53:14 pm »

But doesn’t Italy also have seasonal flu? Shouldn’t they focus on that instead?  8)
They do, but why 'instead'? Flu is endemic worldwide and will keep killing. In Italy, like in most developed countries, people have access to the seasonal flu vaccine. So they're doing all they can to address that problem. Just like they're doing all they can to address this one, but in this case stopping the spread is still on the table.

The point is not that the existence of flu means the healthcare services should ignore covid-19. The point is that the two are so out of proportion in the number of fatalities, that getting worked up because of covid-19 when year after year you don't care about the flu despite near-identical mode of infection, similar vulnerable populations and fatality rate, is hysteria.

So when I'm telling you 'wake me up when the death toll reaches seasonal flu levels' I'm not calling for cessation of mitigating actions, nor disbelieving that any government will take action as advised by the relevant healthcare organisations. I'm asking you to stop panicking and get some perspective.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 22, 2020, 08:27:58 pm »

Oh man, I sure remember China shutting itself down and sending massive waves in the global supply chain.
I wonder if my country gets a lot of stuff from China.
Who can forget the last time when entire cities we’re placed under lockdown enforced by law?
I sure remember seeing Chinese authorities welding peoples into their apartments last flu season.
Perspective.
Oh man flu season was pretty bad this year, I hear.
I wonder how our healthcare system can handle the flu and a new disease that’s easily as spread as the flu, but is about 20x more more deadly, and where one in five require icu attention to breathe?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 22, 2020, 08:30:29 pm »

I just don’t know anymore
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:33:34 pm by TamerVirus »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 22, 2020, 08:41:24 pm »

Who can forget the last time when entire cities we’re placed under lockdown enforced by law?
I sure remember seeing Chinese authorities welding peoples into their apartments last flu season.

If it were another country, this might be cause for greater concern, but China has a vested political interest in overreacting to this sort of thing. Dropping the hammer like this with an unambiguously good aim in mind lets them justify having the capacity to do so the rest of the time, and the PRC would very much like observers both foreign and domestic to look at the pop-up hospitals and so forth and decide that the rest of their totalitarian bullshit is a necessary sacrifice for the greater good.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 22, 2020, 08:55:35 pm »

Maybe it’s because I live in large coastal metropolis and work in the densely populated Chinatown.
Oh wow it’s busy season! Sure is fun working there 6 days a week.
Oh man, wouldn’t it suck if my family livelihood depended on the economic heath of said Chinatown.
A lot of the staff sure have stocked on face masks

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 23, 2020, 12:51:41 am »

I think keffiyeh can work in a pinch when there's no face mask.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 23, 2020, 02:34:46 am »

Maybe it’s because I live in large coastal metropolis and work in the densely populated Chinatown.
Oh wow it’s busy season! Sure is fun working there 6 days a week.
Oh man, wouldn’t it suck if my family livelihood depended on the economic heath of said Chinatown.
A lot of the staff sure have stocked on face masks
So with one voice you're overreacting to the virus and with another you're concerned about the economic repercussions of other people overreacting to the virus?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 23, 2020, 03:55:33 am »

I think keffiyeh can work in a pinch when there's no face mask.

Since Tamer is from the US, wearing a keffiyeh might be more dangerous than the virus...
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 458