Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421474 times)

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #480 on: March 05, 2020, 09:00:48 am »

Oof. That's going to be rough.

Don't know about Coalboat, but things are starting to get back into the swing of things here. Expectations are to start work at the start of next week.

People are crowding metro to go to work again. With face masks though.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 05, 2020, 10:05:02 am »

The good thing is, people are at least seeing how hilariously badly prepared we are for when an actually bad virus outbreak happens.

There was a fight over a roll of toilet paper, and one woman pulled a knife.

Was her opponent's response to claim that wasn't a knife, then pull out a bigger knife and say "this is a knife"?

That's not a knife, that's a spoon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 05, 2020, 10:09:10 am »

Short of an engineered bioweapon, this probably is the very bad pandemic. More deadly would burnout. Less infectious would fail to sustain globally. Reliably strains medical resources, mostly kills those with compounding issues while spreading freely to them through the more healthy, and will probably be around permanently.

Don't think the death toll here couldn't break Spanish Flu. We're still only in the early ramp-up and containment is failed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 05, 2020, 10:25:13 am »

While I live in an area where nobody is concerned about the corona virus, I did go out to buy some of that canned food. First time I've ever bought canned soup, doesn't look that good, but also a lot of canned fruit, which I'm more confident I'd stomach happily; I otherwise have always hated canned food, but I guess this isn't the time to complain.

I'm honestly hedging my bets a little, to have a little bit of reserve stores in case there's a run on the supermarkets, but not too much that I look like an idiot if it all blows over uneventfully.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 05, 2020, 11:09:55 am »

I don't understand the fear... so much fear and anxiety...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 05, 2020, 12:12:49 pm »

I mean, for the folks in the states it makes sense to be afraid and anxious... given how you need to pay to be tested and missing out on work means unemployment.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 05, 2020, 01:06:57 pm »

While I live in an area where nobody is concerned about the corona virus, I did go out to buy some of that canned food. First time I've ever bought canned soup, doesn't look that good, but also a lot of canned fruit, which I'm more confident I'd stomach happily; I otherwise have always hated canned food, but I guess this isn't the time to complain.
For what it's worth, canned soup is usually pretty okay. Not super great and usually pretty damn salty, but not terrible or anything. I eat cream of chicken fairly often, ferex, and it's usable and pretty tasty once you do stuff to it.

If you're worried, just... have a can before it's necessary or somethin', maybe have a few and fiddle with adding stuff to them to see if you can get something you like out of it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 05, 2020, 01:10:54 pm »

I mean, for the folks in the states it makes sense to be afraid and anxious... given how you need to pay to be tested and missing out on work means unemployment.

Plus, some employers will hassle you and keep you from getting promoted if they find out you've been using the insurance (which is also shitty).

Edit:
I'm not saying classic Campbell's chicken soup is great. But it's basically just salt, water, salt, chicken stock, salt, and probably a bouillon. Whatever the hell they put in this "hearty" varieties makes my body scream "This isn't food!"

FTFY. Also, agreed on whatever ingredients are in canned soup. It tastes like "old", and the colors of all of the vegetables (?) is exaggerated. It doesn't help that the broth portion has more texture than the noodles or the vegetables (because neither of them has enough texture to be called squishy), and the chicken is unnaturally chewy.

I should stock up on rice, pasta, and some sort of sauce for them. Plus maybe some fresh meat and veg for a stew.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 01:26:09 pm by Iduno »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 05, 2020, 01:16:32 pm »

On the canned soup front.....

I was raised on regular old Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup.

Then they went and made these fancy, thick and hearty varieties of Beef and Chicken Noodle, by Campbells and Progresso.....

I don't know what they put in that shit, but it tastes awful.

Like, when I was sick back in December I was eating soup for a few days and had a couple cans of both....

There is this weird, almost fungal taste to both of them, to me. A musk. I had a can of it and was literally tasting that musk for hours and hours afterward. The smell of the stuff rising off the bowls in the sink later was enough to almost make me gag.

I'm not saying classic Campbell's chicken soup is great. But it's basically just water, salt, chicken stock and probably a bouillon. Whatever the hell they put in these "hearty" varieties makes my body scream "This isn't food!"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 01:35:22 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 05, 2020, 01:53:23 pm »

@nenjin, why'd you edit all the salt out of your post?  I think it was more accurate the first time  ;D

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 05, 2020, 03:09:19 pm »

@nenjin I add fish sauce in those hearty soups.  It adds flavor, and overpowers any funk smell you're referring to. 

I only bought the hearty soup once because it was the only available thing in Costco--so I had a shit ton of them for a while.

Now those instant ramen with hot sauce will make any clogged nose back to healthy runny for a bit.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 05, 2020, 04:19:03 pm »

Came across a post/comment in Slashdot with fact-checking links relevant to the US situation

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team

Also testing figures for the USA as of Feb 28 were that the USA has tested a whopping 459 whole people! Meanwhile, at that point, South Korea had conducted 65,000 tests, and it's reported that China has scaled up so they're capable of handling up to 1.5 million tests per week.

https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/03/02/035218/americas-coronavirus-testing-lags-far-behind-south-korea-and-china
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 04:26:24 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 05, 2020, 06:57:49 pm »

I mean, you can basically assume the U.S. either is or will be largely infected at this point. Shit's loose all over the country and we've basically done fuck all about even confirming it, nevermind anything else. Every day or two we find out about cases in yet another state. There's zero indication that trend is going to change.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 05, 2020, 07:17:06 pm »

The media is bordering on hysteria, which leads me to believe everything is going to be perfectly fine.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 05, 2020, 08:40:37 pm »

Also testing figures for the USA as of Feb 28 were that the USA has tested a whopping 459 whole people! Meanwhile, at that point, South Korea had conducted 65,000 tests, and it's reported that China has scaled up so they're capable of handling up to 1.5 million tests per week.

https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/03/02/035218/americas-coronavirus-testing-lags-far-behind-south-korea-and-china

Probably because the patient has to pay for it here.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 459