Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421466 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1785 on: March 29, 2020, 04:53:16 am »

Quick fix: Tell people that every time someone asks you when you're gonna finally settle down and have kids, you push the date back by another year.

EDIT: Something slightly more on-topic: 102-year-old woman kicks covid19, may have lived through Spanish flu as well

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: March 29, 2020, 05:17:10 am »

Edit2: I just want them to stop telling me to make children

It stopped for me, around 30-32 :)
Huh? Do people in your country still push their younger generation to have children?
Over here this only happens in hardcore religious circles, and with extreme right replacment theory nutters.

Also, soylent green - millenial edition, now with 5% more green.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: March 29, 2020, 05:20:38 am »

My granddad tried giving me a lecture one time about how "You know, there was this program that was talking about how, biologically, right around now is the optimal age for you to have a kid", which is about as direct as he gets when trying to make a point.

I was 19.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: March 29, 2020, 05:24:16 am »

It's a bit the other way around here.. Women who have kids before they are 30 are looked upon with some sort of pity for putting a dent in their freedom and career.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: March 29, 2020, 06:13:14 am »

Yup, fuck kids... I mean not like that, like fuck having kids, babies just ruin your life, my mommy told me so... hey, wait... *sobs quietly*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: March 29, 2020, 06:36:13 am »

The main driver of boomers using more electricity is that boomers have bigger houses, and a big driver of that difference is heating/cooling costs for the larger space, plus the fact that a lot of millenials only watch shows on a phone or laptop, not an entertainment system. But ... if that boomer dies, someone else moves into that house, and starts using all those facilities, and totally be watching all their shows on a big screen which chews up more power than a laptop.
Woah, I didn't mean to imply that older generations consume more resources per capita.  Just that younger generations are currently less eager, than previous generations, to reproduce as if we have infinite space and resources.

Though younger generations *are* cohabitating more due to being squeezed of financial power by older generations.  Which is teaching a culture of efficiency, and not just the old nuclear family vs bachelor model.
And that's all I have to say about that.

Edit: Though they definitely do consume more resources per capita, duh, but we don't cull them because they're us 20-30-20000 years down the line, and that's completely unrelated to anything I meant to say.

Edit2: I just want them to stop telling me to make children

We all need to make 1.6 children to have sustainability. It's your duty! I know the reducing of the second child might seem a bit brutal at first, but we can't let a squeamishness of blood and gore stand in the way of humanity.

It's a bit the other way around here.. Women who have kids before they are 30 are looked upon with some sort of pity for putting a dent in their freedom and career.

...You sound like you hang out in very wrong circles.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: March 29, 2020, 06:49:11 am »

How so? What is wrong with modern women postponing having children until they are 30-ish?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: March 29, 2020, 06:55:02 am »

i think it's the judgemental aspect you mentioned, i.e. being looked down on with pity for making the "wrong" life choices.

Another way to look at is, is that if you have kids around the early 20s, they've left home when you're around the age of 40, so you've got that to look forward to.

Whereas if you want until you're in your 30s to have kids, then you're caring for kids until you're getting on to almost 60ish. you really want to be dealing with teen / young adult fuck up little shits when you're almost at retirement age?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:59:25 am by Reelya »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: March 29, 2020, 07:01:21 am »

We all need to make 1.6 children to have sustainability. It's your duty! I know the reducing of the second child might seem a bit brutal at first, but we can't let a squeamishness of blood and gore stand in the way of humanity.
Is there a guide to tell you when to stop cutting or do you just guess and pick a spot to stop at?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: March 29, 2020, 07:07:44 am »

How so? What is wrong with modern women postponing having children until they are 30-ish?

What's wrong is looking down on people for having children before 30.

Is there a guide to tell you when to stop cutting or do you just guess and pick a spot to stop at?

Well we it's always hard to know exactly when to stop. I always recommend starting with the extremities and working your way inwards. Remember to end it with a margin because they tend to pour out a bit from what's left, you don't want to end up with 0.3 of a kid just because their guts fell out
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: March 29, 2020, 07:14:16 am »

It's not seen as a 'wrong' choice, it's not judgemental. 

It's more of a compassionate pity for losing freedom of life options, because, even though our country rates really high on female emancipation, having children still is more of a significant hurdle on the job market for women than it is for men.

That, and bye bye to most sponaneous social events with your friends for years, unless you can find a babysitter that's almost always available on last minute notice.
A lot of women do not postpone it until 30 though.  There's a large correlation between education levels and pregnancy age.

Personally, I'd advise anyone to wait with having children until age 26-27 for wholly different reasons.  Wait for your brain to finish maturing before making the life decision that comes with the greatest responsibility.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: March 29, 2020, 07:15:41 am »

Estimates of 30k dead. I dont want to get out of bed
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: March 29, 2020, 07:24:26 am »

Crap, in the past 24h, 529 new people were admitted to hospital.
Our ICUs are now nearly completely full.

In other news:

The government in Greenland has prohibited the sale of alcohol in it's capital Nuuk until the 15th of april, to protect children against domestic violence and abuse, and to reduce the number of alcohol poisoning cases.
Nearly 1 out of 3 Greenlanders have been the victim of sexual abuse in their youth. According to experts on the subject, this is due to excessive drinking habits and little attention for children's rights.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: March 29, 2020, 07:26:11 am »

This isn't the general news thread, martinuzz
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: March 29, 2020, 07:28:39 am »

The decision in Greenland was made because all their children are sitting at home because of corona, so I thought it relevant.
Could have just put it in the EU thread I guess.

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 459