Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421482 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1935 on: March 31, 2020, 07:33:04 pm »

More than 5000, and Guam is nowhere near fit to handle suddenly having a new sick population like that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: March 31, 2020, 07:42:33 pm »

Huh. Could have sworn there were at least two with covid issues. Could be misremembering, I guess.

But yeah, crow plague's basically took down more of the US aircraft carrier group than like. Anything. Ever. Temporarily, I guess, but still.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: March 31, 2020, 07:47:34 pm »

Now that the infection numbers seem to be trending down I'm becoming anxious about the upcoming economic crisis too...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: March 31, 2020, 08:59:27 pm »

Death toll in Brazil hit 200 today. President continues to be a homicidal fash.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: March 31, 2020, 09:20:54 pm »

Now that the infection numbers seem to be trending down I'm becoming anxious about the upcoming economic crisis too...
What downward trend are you talking about, dude?

This morning in the states we were looking at a confirmed death toll of 3200, right now it's 3800 and about to hit 190k confirmed cases in the US.

Aren't you in China? You know better than anyone that the remarkable flatline of cases/deaths reported there requires whole truckloads of salt before being taken.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: March 31, 2020, 09:23:24 pm »

Huh. Could have sworn there were at least two with covid issues. Could be misremembering, I guess.

But yeah, crow plague's basically took down more of the US aircraft carrier group than like. Anything. Ever. Temporarily, I guess, but still.
WW II had some sunken by Japanese - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sunken_aircraft_carriers#United_States

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: March 31, 2020, 09:28:40 pm »

This morning in the states we were looking at a confirmed death toll of 3200, right now it's 3800 and about to hit 190k confirmed cases in the US.

Aren't you in China? You know better than anyone that the remarkable flatline of cases/deaths reported there requires whole truckloads of salt before being taken.

I'm talking about the downward trend where I am in number of infected per day, AKA, having passed peak covid. And no, I'm not in China. Nor in the US. I feel for you, I truly do. But I worry  more about the immediate situation where I am (which is why I don't blame you for doing the same). And covidwise things are... not improving, because peak ICU comes a week or two after peak covid, but on the path to improvement.  So now, I still worry about keeping my family and myself safe, because no we are not out of the fucking woods, but there is some light at the end of the tunnel, so I also worry about the upcoming covid-induced economic tsunami. NOT LEAST because if it's nasty enough it might impair the ability both to do intensive testing and quarantining of remaining cases after the lockdown's over, acquire more medical equipment, and to do ANOTHER lockdown later in the year when we have a potential second outbreak.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: March 31, 2020, 09:50:39 pm »

I was sceptical of China’s figures at first, but given that South Korea managed to effectively suppress a large outbreak with less draconian measures it does seem to be legit. Just remember that “confirmed cases” is precisely that: total cases would include some unknown number of people who were sick but just stayed home, and a few cases in the community that are circulating undetected.

Good news: Australian has managed to maintain linear case growth for about a week. Looks like we might be able to bring it under control. Unfortunately, it also looks like significant restrictions will remain in place for the foreseeable future.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: March 31, 2020, 10:46:55 pm »

Until everywhere is able to implement point-of-care testing of around a million people a week any efforts to lift lockdowns are just going to spike cases upwards again. That's why Trump is such a stupid cuntbaby for only caring about the economic costs of a prolonged shutdown and even mentioning wanting to lift restrictions soon: he's too fucking dumb and shortsighted to realize that the economic costs of a longer shutdown and less immediate death is going to be less than trying to get the economy moving again, setting off outbreaks again, and overwhelming healthcare systems repeatedly leading to even more deaths and uncertainty.

He's going to keep trying to spin things in his favor and fuck me I hate this country for making it possible that despite facing down hundreds of thousands or maybe millions of deaths there will still be shitlickers who swear up and down that it's a hoax to take down their shitmessiah.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: March 31, 2020, 10:51:40 pm »

Until yesterday it did look like the number of new cases per day in the USA was capping out, but then it jumped up suddenly from 20K new cases to 24K new cases.

My view on that is that the growth of new cases in New York is capping out, but is now kicking up in different states. The American figures have seen that happen a couple of times now - new cases seeming about to cap out or declining but then a new spurt of growth. This is obviously when a previous hotspot gets locked down, but then another state develops a problem.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:54:45 pm by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: March 31, 2020, 10:57:03 pm »

Again: I obviously didn't mean the US

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: March 31, 2020, 11:01:38 pm »

I wonder if we'll hit a million recorded cases in the US alone.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: March 31, 2020, 11:10:21 pm »

Until yesterday it did look like the number of new cases per day in the USA was capping out, but then it jumped up suddenly from 20K new cases to 24K new cases.

My view on that is that the growth of new cases in New York is capping out, but is now kicking up in different states. The American figures have seen that happen a couple of times now - new cases seeming about to cap out or declining but then a new spurt of growth. This is obviously when a previous hotspot gets locked down, but then another state develops a problem.

That’s why you need to look at it at a state level, but I’m sure you already knew that. Honestly, I’m expecting 1m+ Americans to die from this. It’s not an outcome I want to see, but I can’t see any sign that sufficient measures will be taken in time, or that the US will be able to deal with a second wave in a coordinated fashion. In Australia the government are flat-out telling people to expect this to drag on for 6+ months. And, as much as I hate the though of it, I can’t see this ending without either a vaccine or everyone catching it.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: April 01, 2020, 12:13:00 am »

Reported cases pretty closely just correlates with the amount of testing we are doing.

Assume the worst. Stay home folks. Buy some pasta if you can.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: April 01, 2020, 01:14:17 am »

Tomorrow I'm going to try making a homemade face shield. I had this idea about taking a wire clothes hanger, untying it so it becomes a single length of metal, and bending that into a shape to fit around my head like an awkward pair of glasses. Then, draping saran wrap or something else transparent, like weather flashing plastic, over that. If it blocks droplets from reaching or leaving my face, it'd make a great supplement to my mask.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 459