Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 413803 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2295 on: April 10, 2020, 10:12:21 am »

Now I suddenly understand how some people feel about Fluoride.

Yeah, English spells a lot of words badly. It can be both correct and terrible.

I'll be honest, I'm not wild about having to be inoculated if it comes to that. Especially with a) how fast things are moving and b) some people's profit motivations. Sounds like a recipe for a poorly tested vaccine with unknown side effects rapidly deployed to large populations.

What, since when have medicines and medical treatments/devices that don't work correctly and/or threaten lives been rushed to market in the name of profit? Also, no fair pointing to the US, it has to be a real country.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: April 10, 2020, 10:16:13 am »

I'll be honest, I'm not wild about having to be inoculated if it comes to that. Especially with a) how fast things are moving and b) some people's profit motivations. Sounds like a recipe for a poorly tested vaccine with unknown side effects rapidly deployed to large populations.

Vaccines are only part of the possible therapeutics and therapeutic-like things, and probably the least useful right now. Entry inhibitors can do a lot to drop titer in people already infected, and effective ex vivo destruction of the virions opens up more chemical possibilities. Frankly it's a lot easier to kill the virus if there isn't a person around it we need to keep alive.

There's just not really a good way to quantify the effectiveness of each relative to the others.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: April 10, 2020, 10:50:02 am »

Way back when the swine flu or bird flu or whatever was going around they haste-vaccinated a lot of people and a lot of people ended up with... that sleep disorder where you fall asleep whenever.

So I'm not too much looking forward to the prospect of more hastily concocted and pushed-through-the-testing-phase vaccines. I'll probably want my parents to get it though, they're both near risk zone.
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: April 10, 2020, 11:02:03 am »

Way back when the swine flu or bird flu or whatever was going around they haste-vaccinated a lot of people and a lot of people ended up with... that sleep disorder where you fall asleep whenever.

So I'm not too much looking forward to the prospect of more hastily concocted and pushed-through-the-testing-phase vaccines. I'll probably want my parents to get it though, they're both near risk zone.
are you referring to Narcalepsy?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: April 10, 2020, 11:03:49 am »

I think ... it's called ....

* ZzzZzz *

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: April 10, 2020, 11:48:41 am »

Talking of falling asleep, I just listened to today's Daily Briefing from Downing Street, as I do every day. Too much soapbox, too little information to justify a full half hour.

Those people who need to have Core Messages hammered into their heads by rhetoric repetition won't be tuning in anyway, unlike dutiful me. A couple of days ago I thought I was back sat cross-legged in the Story Corner in primary school being read to from Janet And John Don't Go Outside, even, by the most condescending of my teachers in one of the Infants classes.

And, by now, the day's expert-with-the-graphs (which don't display on my radio...) should have been given a Powerpoint Clicker of his/her own. Even by unexpedited mail order, it won't have taken more than a few days for one to arrive.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: April 10, 2020, 11:50:18 am »

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/we-may-finally-know-why-flu-vaccine-triggered-narcolepsy/ https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/07/why-pandemic-flu-shot-caused-narcolepsy

Still, "even with the increased risk of narcolepsy, the benefits of the vaccine outweighed the cost".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: April 10, 2020, 12:52:14 pm »

I think that's highly debatable. Sometimes you can't fix everything nature throws at you, you just have to bear it, get through it and adapt as a species.

If someone tries to give me something to fix one problem but creates another permanent problem, my answer is going to be "fuck no."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: April 10, 2020, 12:54:21 pm »

I think that's highly debatable. Sometimes you can't fix everything nature throws at you, you just have to bear it, get through it and adapt as a species.

If someone tries to give me something to fix one problem but creates another permanent problem, my answer is going to be "fuck no."
Everything has side effects.

Every medication that you had over your life.

It's all a matter of how you stack the odds really
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: April 10, 2020, 01:05:45 pm »

Yeah, English spells a lot of words badly. It can be both correct and terrible.

It's Latin, apparently.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: April 10, 2020, 02:15:53 pm »

what is meant by real life anime? I see a person looking forward, I don’t see how that translates to being an anime

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: April 10, 2020, 02:31:42 pm »

Everything has side effects. But most don't have permanent side effects or side effects like Narcolepsy. As for how I stack the odds, I stack them such that I don't take shit I don't absolutely need. I won't be taking anything in response to Corona until it has been guinea-pigged by a large, large number of people.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: April 10, 2020, 03:09:28 pm »

Everything has side effects. But most don't have permanent side effects or side effects like Narcolepsy.
I guess you've never checked the unusual side effects section of the medication you consume, then...  :P
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: April 10, 2020, 03:10:48 pm »

Everything has side effects. But most don't have permanent side effects or side effects like Narcolepsy.
I guess you've never checked the unusual side effects section of the medication you consume, then...  :P

You don't have to check side effects of your medicines when you don't take any.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 458