Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421470 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2625 on: April 23, 2020, 11:59:22 am »

But is that hemorrhagic or ischemic strokes? Or both (former sparked by latter) or just 'randomly' either?

Interesting to hear about, but sounds a little too narrative without any actual detail.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: April 23, 2020, 12:15:02 pm »

For what I read back in the day there were reports of both.

The separation is blurrier than you might think. Ischemic strokes often transform
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: April 23, 2020, 01:13:24 pm »

Also seeing chatter that smokers are less likely to contract the virus or at least suffer from it? Sounds like bullshit to me. And I say that as a smoker.
I wouldn't be surprised at it being astroturfed somehow or another, honestly. People picking up on the crow plague preferentially murdering smokers (among others) and cutting back on use, followed by someone in the tobacco industry trying to drum up rumors to the opposite... well, there's this thing called "pattern recognition" when it comes to tobacco company behavior. It'd be interesting to know where that chatter's coming from.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: April 23, 2020, 01:19:20 pm »

Also seeing chatter that smokers are less likely to contract the virus or at least suffer from it? Sounds like bullshit to me. And I say that as a smoker.
I wouldn't be surprised at it being astroturfed somehow or another, honestly. People picking up on the crow plague preferentially murdering smokers (among others) and cutting back on use, followed by someone in the tobacco industry trying to drum up rumors to the opposite... well, there's this thing called "pattern recognition" when it comes to tobacco company behavior. It'd be interesting to know where that chatter's coming from.

Apparently this came out of a study in France.

http://www.rfi.fr/en/science-and-technology/20200423-french-researchers-suggest-nicotine-could-protect-against-covid-19
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: April 23, 2020, 01:38:05 pm »

Seems like Italy will be opening its borders on May 1st
I am curious what kind of countries would be available for travel after doing that (what has not closed border with Italy)?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: April 23, 2020, 01:40:55 pm »

Apparently this came out of a study in France.

http://www.rfi.fr/en/science-and-technology/20200423-french-researchers-suggest-nicotine-could-protect-against-covid-19
Yeah, and going by commentary on what seems to be the actual publication, there's both holes in it you could drive a truck through and other studies saying the exact opposite, heh. Not that "less likely to infect you but more likely to kill you if it does" is exactly the most reassuring thing in the world...

Least doesn't look like the initial stuff was paid shill work, tho' (at first glance anyway... you'd probably need to check the authors backgrounds to be more sure), which I guess is somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: April 23, 2020, 02:57:24 pm »

That would be a hilarious cap stone to this whole mess though.

"After many months of research and testing, we've found the best way to avoid Covid is to start smoking a pack a day."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: April 23, 2020, 03:04:39 pm »

I'm still waiting for the discovery of the paper-rock-scissors of diseases.  Something like "the flu kills cancer, cancer solves lead poisoning, lead kills the flu".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: April 23, 2020, 03:08:20 pm »

There's stuff like that with various poisons and diseases, like sickle cell disorder/malaria and various nerve agents/atropine. Don't think I've ever heard of a trilemma version, though.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: April 23, 2020, 04:06:39 pm »

The separation is blurrier than you might think. Ischemic strokes often transform
Yup:
Or both (former sparked by latter)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: April 23, 2020, 04:14:18 pm »

I'm still waiting for the discovery of the paper-rock-scissors of diseases.  Something like "the flu kills cancer, cancer solves lead poisoning, lead kills the flu".

Most diseases, including viruses, stop functioning once the host is dead, so...

Edit: this picture is terrible. I think the version with Thanos (yeah, no. you can find that yourself) is less terrible, because that's obviously a joke.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:25:26 pm by Iduno »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: April 23, 2020, 04:37:33 pm »

Wrong way round?
Hot lead kills cancer, and possibly 'flu' will kill that. Cancer vs flu is a trickier one.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: April 23, 2020, 11:51:28 pm »

Apparently facebook is suspending its "pseudoscience" category of user that it's been harmlessly marketing to for years (along with the "conspiracy theory" category) as part of their continued commitment to inexpensively reduce the massive amount of misinformation spread on their shitty platform.

Thankfully, you can still see ads selling you drinkable bleach and essential oils, along with the many other cures for the Chinese-manufactured nanoplague currently clearing the way for the new world order.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-facebook-ads-idUSKCN2253CC

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: April 24, 2020, 12:04:12 am »

Wrong way round?
Hot lead kills cancer, and possibly 'flu' will kill that. Cancer vs flu is a trickier one.

There was a story recently about flu VACCINE, which appears to prime the immune system sufficiently that it can then better identify, and then target certain cancers.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/01/200107092558.htm

This is not exactly "Flu kills cancer", it is "Immune system kills cancer".  But, it is after being primed with a vaccination.

IIRC, some followup work was done with animal models suggesting that direct administration of the flu vaccine directly into lesions can produce stronger results, with greater cell-mass reductions, and stronger immune responses.

Interesting, but not exactly what was mentioned.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: April 24, 2020, 01:21:06 am »

Mass graves in brazil
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 459