Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421418 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2835 on: May 01, 2020, 09:20:12 am »

In Michigan, heavily armed protestors managed to force entry to the parliament building in Lansing, in an attempt to force the government to lift the lockdown.
Most were stopped by the police, but some even managed to reach the senators.
Some senators responded by putting on bulletproof vests.
The Governor, Gretchen Whitmer, refused to be intimidated by machineguns and declared another 4 weeks of lockdown.

EDIT: Heh, looking at the photo that comes with the news article... Those heavily armed protestors look not much older than 16-17.
You're lucky it didn't turn into a bloodbath.
Guns + people of an age where the part of the brain that oversees consequences is not fully developed = a recipe for disaster
Apparently, part of the controversy is that she declared another month of State of Emergency without legislative approval, though the *armed fucking right wing conspiracy theorists* are entirely unjustified.

Edit: state legislature is GOP controlled, they opposed a State of Emergency extension.

Edit2: Apparently Whitmer's been a dumbass in terms of closure details (I think she originally exempted churches from an assembly ban), but right wing paramilitary protesters still not justified.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:05:52 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: May 01, 2020, 09:24:15 am »

That's what happens when you force people to be idle for too long.

I think people want to say the extended shelter-at-home in Michigan is retribution, but it's really because we are still seeing 1000+ new cases per day and 100+ deaths per day.

Also Michigan definitely isn't in "lockdown" - if you listen to the daily news, we still have traffic jams on the main highways around Detroit on a daily basis.  Only some of us are taking it seriously.

The population is just annoyed because schools are closed, the weather is finally nice but all our outdoor activities are closed so people really are suffering from cabin fever.  Add guns to that, and the surprising rural population of Michigan once you get out of Detroit (people in this state really are "all of Michigan versus Detroit and Ann Arbor") when it comes to demographics.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: May 01, 2020, 09:38:15 am »

If Michigan is a mitten, which finger du you live on?
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: May 01, 2020, 10:06:44 am »

If Michigan is a mitten, which finger du you live on?

that severed one off to the side
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: May 01, 2020, 11:19:25 am »

So this happened in Madrid today 🤦🏻‍♂️
https://mobile.twitter.com/PAMJ84/status/1256250459729399809
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 11:28:17 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: May 01, 2020, 12:31:17 pm »

Am I cynical in automatically assuming that the UK government is over-cooking its books?

(Tests per day = tests taken and processed today + tests previously taken but processed today + tests taken, but not yet processed, today + tests received by people today but not yet returned for processing + tests sent out to people today but not yet even received..?)

I think we need to look at the rolling totals into next week and beyond to get rid of double-counting and make sure it's not just desperate spin.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: May 01, 2020, 12:36:01 pm »

With 10 thousand tests a day it will still take nearly two years to test everyone.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: May 01, 2020, 12:48:27 pm »

That's at a constant rate. The way they apparently ramped up testing in the last couple of days means testing kits will achieve The Singularity before this month is out.

Or we've just been in a Disney movie about a no-hope sports team that has were totally unable to test anyone in the first half of the game, before getting a hearfelt half-time speech from a basketball-playing dog with mind of a computer, owned by telekinetic alien kids, who has found redemption and love due to assistance from a pirate ghost. And from nineteen down in the fifth quarter, they suddenly score five touchdowns and an eagle to get one more home run than the prison officers on rollerblades, and managed to stop the dots on their hands going red and turning them into soylent green.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: May 01, 2020, 01:12:55 pm »

You know I'm speaking for myself here but I'm not going to any of these fucking things that reopen. Not even to get my desperately needed haircut, which is 4 months late

Nah man, I choose life.
Just do what I do, I haven't had a haircut in like fifteen years. Need is relative when you have hair ties or somethin'.

Though yeah, panama city here in florida is apparently opening up their beaches again next week. I think I'm just going to not go anywhere near that city for a few more weeks.

Though that said, local area's looking to open stuff like libraries and whatnot back up in the next week or two, too. On one hand it's sorta' desperately needed cause we're a rural shithole and a fair amount of folks like, don't have internet access, and without it are having serious trouble getting, y'know, help. On the other hand, fucking crow plague.

Florida is perfectly* safe.

*Assuming you trust their numbers, even though they've announced they are no longer counting COVID deaths.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: May 01, 2020, 01:49:21 pm »

That's at a constant rate. The way they apparently ramped up testing in the last couple of days means testing kits will achieve The Singularity before this month is out.

Or we've just been in a Disney movie about a no-hope sports team that has were totally unable to test anyone in the first half of the game, before getting a hearfelt half-time speech from a basketball-playing dog with mind of a computer, owned by telekinetic alien kids, who has found redemption and love due to assistance from a pirate ghost. And from nineteen down in the fifth quarter, they suddenly score five touchdowns and an eagle to get one more home run than the prison officers on rollerblades, and managed to stop the dots on their hands going red and turning them into soylent green.
That Disney movie sounds great, what;s it called?  :) :D

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: May 01, 2020, 01:54:52 pm »

Space Jam: The Corona Years
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: May 01, 2020, 02:40:10 pm »

Logan's Cough.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: May 01, 2020, 02:41:48 pm »

It's a mash-up of a number of different movies, mostly very old movies

As a guess it's these ones:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mighty_Ducks (no hope team)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Bud (basketball dog)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Computer_Wore_Tennis_Shoes (computer brain)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_to_Witch_Mountain_(1975_film) (telekinetic alien kids)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbeard%27s_Ghost (pirate ghost)

EDIT: oh and I missed the last bit, it goes from plot-points of Disney movies to dystopian and very-not-Disney sci-fi movies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollerball_(1975_film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan%27s_Run_(film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

EDIT2: had to edit it again realizing I'd missed some movies. There could be 1-2 more references in there that I missed.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 03:14:49 pm by Reelya »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: May 01, 2020, 05:25:36 pm »

COVID has resulted in so much excess bodies that funeral homes can't processes them fast enough
So now you have ghastly things like this funeral home storing piles of bodies in bog standard Uhaul trucks

"Urist was forced to endure the decay of a friend "
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: May 01, 2020, 06:17:29 pm »

It appears to be an amalgamation of half of Disney's movies, because they're all quite similar.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 459