Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 413173 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

US deaths from COVID-19 have just now (by the official count, at least) passed 100,000. 

*Toots party horn*

*Confetti falls*

*The confetti is anthrax*

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What y'all need to do is buy expensive 5G-blocking USB sticks....

(And I've got a bridge to sell you, too. It... stops gayness. Or keeps you gay. That's how clever the bridge is. Very cheap, love you long time!)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

What y'all need to do is buy expensive 5G-blocking USB sticks....

(And I've got a bridge to sell you, too. It... stops gayness. Or keeps you gay. That's how clever the bridge is. Very cheap, love you long time!)
It makes sense folks. I mean, a bridge that stops gayness from getting in should also stop it from getting out. 
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Holographic nano-layer catalyser" that uses "quantum oscillation?" Definitely sounds legit.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

quantum oscillation you say?  What kind of quantum oscillation? 

If you mean, "Vacuum energy oscillations", I want to see the Nobel prize they are hiding.  If you mean "quantum state tipping due to random thermal excitation states", then that totally is doable, and resulted in the "Over-Unity" (ahem) semiconductor junction results from some years back. (basically, a warm LED, held at JUUUUUUUUST under the bandgap energy, will have that bandgap energy tipped by thermal oscillations, converting the thermal energy into the needed potential to push an electron over the bandgap, which is an inherently quantum process. In the process, the diode becomes cooler, and a photon is emitted. It is "over unity" in terms of electrical energy inputted, and photons emitted. The extra energy is not magical, it comes from conversion of heat in the environment.)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They must have used the star trek technobabble generator or something similar to come up with that crap.
https://www.technobabble.biz/

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

Back in COVID-19 news:  We usually go to the pool at my mother-in-law's condo in the summer.  The county in which that pool is located has just issued a decree that all public pools, including at condos, are to remain closed "indefinitely."  I'd rather they had done something like they did down at my parents house (but that is 700 miles away) where the pool is open, but by appointment only to limit. Also, the county health commissioner has given no criteria for when they might open.

Incidentally this the main cause of the complaints about the leadership here in MI: they just say "This is what we are doing, and we are monitoring and may change our minds" but there is no transparency so nobody knows what to expect and it all feels arbitrary.

Personally though this sucks - now I have to maintain a portable pool at my house.  We had an above-ground when I was a kid and I hated it.  I really don't want the maintenance hassle, even though the one my wife bought is only 8 foot diameter and 2 feet deep. 750 gallons.... *sigh*

EDIT dang I can't even do math today...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 09:48:33 am by McTraveller »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... like, man, "have to" is a hell of a turn of phrase unless someone involved actually requires water based therapy for health reasons or somethin', and it doesn't sound like it with a two foot deep pool. My mostly deprived poor ass can't really wrap my head around that mentality, not gon' lie.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Lots of people stocking up on backyard pools in anticipation of a social distance summer. Reports saying demand is through the roof
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

... like, man, "have to" is a hell of a turn of phrase
When you are married and have kids, your perspective on "have to" changes dramatically...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

When you are married and have kids, your perspective on "have to" changes dramatically...
I imagine that the realization of the fact that we're in a crippling and even lethal pandemic also changes one's perception of "have to".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

I mean, the number of folks in my area that meet those conditions without having a pool or trying to maintain one is... not small. 'Cause, y'know, lotta' folks 'round here are frikkin' poor. Little kiddy pool might be a thing (though even that's fairly rare), but it doesn't sound like you're talking the cheap-ish inflatable shit.

Your perspective does change, but not towards the direction of a pool being a necessity, from what I've noticed, basically. Rather the opposite, even.

Any case, the statement that it's a necessity is a pretty damn alien mindset to me stands, heh. Back when I was a kid I think we tried the inflatable thing like... one summer, and then just kinda' went without most years.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh I don't think it's necessary at all.  I am struggling to espouse an environment of contentment in a world that is always about "more".

I could say "no" but then I'd be reminded even more than I already am by my wife and kids that "all I do is say 'no'".  In a world that has gone mad (sorry, I do think that closing pools for this is mad. It is way beyond sensible precaution and into the "we're so scared we don't even want to come within a mile of something that maybe could get us into liability trouble" territory.  Basically "we don't have in place the real things we need to help public health like good tests and contact tracing, so we have to force everyone to stay isolated and separated")...

Anyway, in a world that has gone mad, "having to" set up a (yes it is an inflatable) pool to give my kids something to do outside is an inconvenience, but one that I'm able to do, thankfully.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lots of people stocking up on backyard pools in anticipation of a social distance summer. Reports saying demand is through the roof
If you put a portable pool up on your roof, it'll probably be through it, yes, because that confined water will be heavy and you probably normally don't have more than a few simultaneous inches of rain at the absolute worst of times.

Just sayin'.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

The US will be pulling out of WHO, says Trump.

I broke the other link, use that one.

Edit: fixed nytimes link: fixed
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 04:19:44 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 458