Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423921 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Aren't we very likely going to have a second seasonal wave again in the winter anyway?  Or is the concern more about the severity of the wave?

I mean - I don't get worried about the annual waves of seasonal flu.  Is there a reason I need to be worried about the seasonal waves of Coronavirus?
god damn fucking hell this virus is like ten fucking times deadlier than our seasonal flu strains

That is your fucking reason to be worried about seasonal waves of the crow plague, holy shit.

Our seasonal flu strains also kill tens of thousands annually just in the goddamn US, that we don't treat it more seriously is a fucking condemnation for our nation, not a reason to try to downplay something significantly more deadly than them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

Sorry I wasn't clear - I meant "why would I be worried about the waves any more than the concern it already warrants".

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nothing viral (known, anyway) seemed to be going on when the UK had its pre-spring flooding emergencies. And we didn't have a Beast From The East cold-snap this year, but what winter we did get largely happened before any Covid issues arose.  Some might say the current heatwave (a very Britishly unBritish weather system that always surprises us, every time it arises, quite frequently as of late in fact) is a sort of willing partner to the pandemic, but imagine if the initial hidden rise in infections had occured during one of our other irregular national weirdnessesses? Ok, some of these would have us hunkering down, only huddling together in family units so doing part of the work in socially isolating, but the good folks of Fishlake who decamped from their sodden homes to emergency accomodation in their local church (frexample) would have found things more complicated if they had to think of infections as well as the other basic needs that were interupted.

Obviously, other parts of the world have other problems. Monsoons in the Indian Ocean (drifting over to die their vigirous last gasp in Western Australia) doubtless complicates the current precautions over there by a not insignificant amount. A major earthquake could cause some of the less-NZlike nations bordering the Pacific rim to have further issues (even if NZ seems to do well with both viral and geological threats, usually). The rioting in the US can be considered a socio-economical disaster to co-exist with the healthcare issues[1]. Locally, apart from a recent forest fire down in ?Devon?, likely started by sneakily non-licked-down visitors with a single-use BBQ tray left in an unsafe condition and a handful of households who cannot stay at home, right now there seems nothing unduly problematic over and above the virus.

But if it spikes later in the year with other treacherous conditions affecting the nation, whatever they might be, it could be awkward.

(Not really a direct reply to Mc, Frump or Mc again, but some thoughts I've been developing that Mc's initial post prompted me to set down.)

[1] Though it at least encourages mask-wearing. Remember that just a month or two before Wuhan, Hong Kong was being aggressively policed against mask-wearing, for public order 'reasons', then in life's great twist the exact opposite convention became supremely de rigour all across China for health reasons. Which was funny when I thought of it in those terms.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3258 on: June 01, 2020, 12:34:41 pm »

The US and Brazil released a joint statement saying that the US has sent 2 million doses of hydroxychloroquine to Brazil.

HCQ will be used as a prophylactic to help defend Brazil’s nurses, doctors and healthcare professionals against the virus. It will also be used as a therapeutic to treat Brazilians who become infected.
(Note that no one, not even the supporters of Hydroxychloroquine, recommends that it be used preventatively).

Almost casually they also mention they will send 1000 ventilators as well, so perhaps not entirely useless, but damn, real "blind leading the blind" stuff here.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: June 01, 2020, 01:32:26 pm »

Aint Trump been taking it "just in case"? I think prophylactic use is therefore the official line (if you deem Trump to be in any way official) even if not the expert/authoritative view (which we can safely say that need not and, based on his record, would not involve him).

The question is whether Brazil is believing the Trump line or is just consciously echoing him. (Whether or not Trump/Bolsonaro each believes it themselves, every which way.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: June 02, 2020, 05:16:19 am »

Because the lockdown rules are about to be loosened, and people will be allowed to have visitors again, the UK government has decided that people are no longer allowed to have sex with anyone else than their regular sex partner.
Getting caught having sex with someone else will be fined with 50 pounds.
It has also been decreed that sex out in the open air is not allowed as long as social distancing measures are in place.
It is not yet clear how the government is going to enforce this.  Perhaps now is a good time to invest in a Dick and Pussy-cam company.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: June 02, 2020, 05:42:50 am »

Because the lockdown rules are about to be loosened, and people will be allowed to have visitors again, the UK government has decided that people are no longer allowed to have sex with anyone else than their regular sex partner.
Getting caught having sex with someone else will be fined with 50 pounds.
It has also been decreed that sex out in the open air is not allowed as long as social distancing measures are in place.
It is not yet clear how the government is going to enforce this.  Perhaps now is a good time to invest in a Dick and Pussy-cam company.
This list is a glorious testament to the collective UK habits regarding normal sexual behavior.

Also, because of line one and three together, I guess the sheep farmers are gonna spend a lot of time in their barns.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: June 02, 2020, 06:36:48 am »

(Did they say "regular" rather than "frequent" or "usual"? It potentially makes a lot of difference.)

Meanwhile, the government says the "virtual parliament" isn't working so is looking towards a vote against that, which will not allow those who are justifisbly benefitting from it to make their own vote count.

Also sheanigans over "total tests available", rather than tests actually done or counting the people tested.

Worst news of all, the Royal Shakespeare Company has cancelled its entire 2020 season!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: June 02, 2020, 06:41:41 am »

What the UK really needs is a ministry of silly walks to aid social distancing.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: June 02, 2020, 09:10:43 am »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-patients-lose-senses-of-taste-smelland-havent-gotten-them-back-11591007522

Worrying thing here, the loss of taste and smell some people get from this virus apparently isn't going away for some people. Quote from the above article but from Slashdot since the original is paywalled:

Clinicians racing to understand the novel disease are starting to discern an unusual trend: one common symptom -- the loss of smell and taste -- can linger months after recovery. Doctors say it is possible some survivors may never taste or smell again. Out of 417 patients who suffered mild to moderate forms of Covid-19 in Europe, 88% and 86% reported taste and smell dysfunctions, respectively, according to a study published in April in the European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology. Most patients said they couldn't taste or smell even after other symptoms were gone. Preliminary data showed at least a quarter of people regained their ability to taste and smell within two weeks of other symptoms dissipating. The study said long-term data are needed to assess how long this can last in people who didn't report an improvement.

Anyone who has had the sniffles knows a stuffy nose impedes smell and taste; the novel coronavirus's ability to break down smell receptors is puzzling because it occurs without nasal congestion. One theory is that the "olfactory receptors that go to the brain -- that are essentially like a highway to the brain -- commit suicide so they can't carry the virus to the brain," said Danielle Reed, associate director of the Monell Chemical Senses Center. "It could be a healthy reaction to the virus. If that doesn't work, maybe people do get sicker," she said. "It might be a positive takeaway from what is obviously a devastating loss to people."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: June 02, 2020, 10:00:40 am »

It's fresh produce from the Eboli Fruit company, located in Eboli, Italy.

Probably.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: June 02, 2020, 11:05:20 am »

Why this name?

I have no idea. I saw them in the back of the store i work in yesterday (forgot to upload and post) and thought it was funny. The name is just what they're called.

Or maybe coop is part of a great conspiracy to spread ebola to the Swedish people

You'll know it by whether I'm suddenly lot less full of shit
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 459