Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 413482 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, dunno. This whole thing has me pondering the question, "just what is an acceptable level of public health risk in the first place?" 

Zero is an infeasible answer, but other than that I'm still working through it all.  Education is a tender spot for me - having educators in my family, it makes me very sad that society is essentially sacrificing education for short-term changes in life expectancy. You will not be able to convince me that quality of education will be maintained with this mandatory remote learning.

Although to be fair, in the school board meeting they rightly pointed out that in-person learning would be impacted too due to the massive burden of just dealing with all the protections they would have to deal with like masks, cleaning, and the like.  My assertion is that is less an impact that forcing everyone home, but I suppose it may indeed be splitting hairs at that point.

Yeah, educators and retail/customer-service employees generally don't get treated like humans. At least educators get paid better than the others.

*shrug* DOACs are less of an issue than traditional AVKs. But of course experience of their in children is fairly limited because its not exactly common to have children with clotting disorders. Which is of course the point: if we are talking about how many children will need anticoagulation and how many teachers will end up in ICU, maybe we should rethink before reopening?

Especially when distance-learning technology is as good as it is. In elementary schools, where the children probably can't be home alone, you may need to consider in-person teaching, but not much need above that.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still pondering at one teacher for 15 students.  Back in my youth, classes tended to be 30+ (except for the less popular options, perhaps, where were choices).

Different age, different country, different educational culture, different political masters. And of course no problem with packing classes in as tight as you needed, in order to make the limited educational budget stretch across a whole catchment of kids.

For various reasons, that should not be the case these days.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still pondering at one teacher for 15 students.  Back in my youth, classes tended to be 30+ (except for the less popular options, perhaps, where were choices).

Different age, different country, different educational culture, different political masters. And of course no problem with packing classes in as tight as you needed, in order to make the limited educational budget stretch across a whole catchment of kids.

For various reasons, that should not be the case these days.

Think of it this way: the average class size may be 30 students. But how many different classes did you have? Only one teacher the whole week, or did you  have different teachers for different classes?

Teachers spend some proportion of the time directly teaching students, and some other proportion of the time in training on new material, lesson preparation, grading work.

So to work out how many teachers you need, you need to take average class size, then work out what percentage of a teacher's work time is spent directly teaching classes. Then you can do the math for the rough number of teachers you need to hire per enrolled student.

Hence "average class size" isn't the same thing as teacher-student ratio, they're measuring different things.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:37:32 pm by Reelya »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Especially when distance-learning technology is as good as it is. In elementary schools, where the children probably can't be home alone, you may need to consider in-person teaching, but not much need above that.

Actually, distance learning has been rather ineffective where it had been put in place...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My friend espoused a conspiracy theory that I didn't really have evidence to call bullshit on, but was plausible enough to understand why he believed it: that Trump and Republicans deliberately fubar'd the Coronavirus response and allowed it to spread unchecked in the States because they thought that it would only harm large major cities where most democratic voters are, and leave rural and suburban areas, where more republican voters are, mostly unscathed.

It's outrageous to me, but he's very pessimistic, and politicians have demonstrated poor judgment over and over and over again, so that's the only criterion that gave credence to its 'plausibility'.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile

I seem to recall a report that one of the officials in charge of the response explicitly said, in an internal communication, that was exactly the plan.

I don't remember the source, so take this with a grain of salt pour a few pounds of salt on this post.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My friend espoused a conspiracy theory that I didn't really have evidence to call bullshit on, but was plausible enough to understand why he believed it: that Trump and Republicans deliberately fubar'd the Coronavirus response and allowed it to spread unchecked in the States because they thought that it would only harm large major cities where most democratic voters are, and leave rural and suburban areas, where more republican voters are, mostly unscathed.

Actually he's not quite cynical enough. It's not an infected/not-infected scenario. The thing is, if a disease kills *marginally* more of the opposing supporters than it does of your supporters, then that's a net gain. So you push everyone under the bus, but the opposing supporters got pushed under two buses. They don't actually give a shit about the "Republican base" any more than they do about "Americans" in general. They'll happily bomb a neighboring country and kill 2 million people if that furthers some greed-related goals. Do we seriously think that they're all suddenly hearts on sleeves once you have a Green Card? Daddy Trump isn't in fact all adoring of his little party foot soldiers, he probably mostly despises them.

But to be honest I think they thought that they could just wing it until the election, they were assuming this was a winter disease and closing the border and warming weather would prevent it being a problem until Trump was re-elected, and in the meantime they could prop the stock market up with big talk from Trump. The real fact is they discounted exponential growth. Remember when there were 100+ infections and they were scoffing at that, since that's nothing. 1 in a million infected. It wasn't that long ago, really. They did actually assume this would peter out and not go the way it's going.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:09:19 pm by Reelya »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wouldn’t put it past people to allow fellow Americans to die in order for the ‘right team’ to win.  People have been feeding the ‘other team of murricans are traitors and commies’ line brazingly the last few years.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Trump's behavior during the pandemic has been a continuation of his standard behavior - take every position, deny everything, say crazy shit on TV, and then laugh at the libs. Because Democrats are just worthless at politics, this usually works. However, covid has proven less susceptible to bad faith arguments than your average Democrat...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Yeah, educators and retail/customer-service employees generally don't get treated like humans. At least educators get paid better than the others.
That's damning with extremely faint praise. Educators, especially front line public school ones, generally aren't paid worth shit in the US. Especially relative to the education requirements and general workload.

Though re: the urban/rural impact thing, the crow plague is hitting rural areas plenty hard and largely continuing to get worse, too. We're not immune out here and the lifestyles of most rural folks don't, at all, actually meaningfully inhibit spread. It's just taking longer to get to people, because there's fewer of us out here and we're somewhat more spread out.

It's possible the shitgibbon in chief and the GOP in general thought that was something worth trying, but if it was it was a self-own of historic proportions. It'd be hard to tell that sort of malice from their actual staggering incompetence and shithattery, tho', so the world may never know.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

In Sweden for example they went for the herd immunity response however their economy is still faltering because how many people knowingly expose themselves to a widespread plague. Just ignore the plague and keep working and shopping and partying and playing like normal. It didn't work.

This is straight up wrong, Reelya. Herd immunity was never part of Sweden's strategy, the idea that it was was completely invented by media. Sweden's authorities have been explicitely clear from the start, and repeated over and over again, that the only goal of the Swedish strategy is to keep the amount of patients needing hospital care below the hospital limits, and that herd immunity would at most be coincidental to this and not something they aimed for or counted on.

The idea that we just went on as normal is also wrong. We just didn't close the country down. We are still doing social distancing and aren't allowed to meet at all in groups larger than... I believe it is at 50.
Love, scriver~

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

To be honest barring a few hurricanes (none of which were major; in spite of my northeastern origins I feel qualified to discuss what a major hurricane is), the coronavirus was the very first crisis the administration faced that was not of its own making. That it treated it essentially like everything else is not surprising. It's not surprising they didn't take it seriously; they didn't take it seriously when they crossed other lines that people said "ok hang on this is serious you can't do that." And until this, they hadn't envisioned a scenario where this would not occur.

And so they ended up in the scenario of playing Chicken with a cliff and, convinced the other side would swerve first, confidently strode directly off the edge.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Think of it this way: the average class size may be 30 students. But how many different classes did you have? Only one teacher the whole week, or did you  have different teachers for different classes?
Spoiler: In Long (click to show/hide)

In Short: I'm mostly interested in how many teachers each pupil has class time with (or, rather, how many pupils demand the time of one teacher, simultaneously). Coming from a time well before 'teaching assistants' (so "1½ teachers per class", maybe, you might argue) it seemed fairly constant throughout statutory education years (most of my time in education) to have 30:1-ish direct experience and, even if it's hard to nail down the specifics at other times, certainly during Primary years there were no 'hidden' teachers working/idling away while their colleagues were keeping us busy learning our 12-times-table/whatever. I'm fairly sure there wasn't an entire mirror-universe that at least half our teachers inhabited whilst the other at-most-half held our classes.

(My mother was a Temporary Supply teacher, also, and by far not the only one (apart from the Permanent Supply teacher mentioned in the spoiler, we had a good half-dozen 'regularly irregular' supply-teachers at my school, with my mother working elsewhere only but often on the same site as several of them when they were similarly elsewhere) and though the not-so-good Geography teacher kept his class barely ticking over while being mostly not at his desk, you'd imagine that if there was sufficient 'shadow staff' already on the payroll then they'd be able to kludge an 'internal supply' situation, like the French-but-really-Maths teacher I also mentioned.)

What's my point? Not sure it's relevent any more. But I was just very much surprised to see 15:1 (or was it 1:15?) mentioned as a working figure, based on pre-Covid times that I coukd relate to. Though in continuing-Covid times, I would expect this, ideally (at least by taking half the 30 pupils and arranging a 'self-directed learning' group whilst the other half is attending their own class-bubble), if only as a reactionary/precautionary measure.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not half, because the average class size in American schools is about 23. So if you assume that 2/3rds of each teacher's time is spent teaching face to face classes then 1:15 would be right.

To put rounder figures on it, say that the av. class size was 24, 6 classes per day, and each teacher teaches 4 classes per day. This is a fairly normal workload we expect from a teacher, they're not expected to do a full 6 hours of class instruction per day. So, you need an average of 1.5 teachers per class worth of students, which works out as a 1:16 ratio.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 05:18:40 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

To be honest barring a few hurricanes (none of which were major; in spite of my northeastern origins I feel qualified to discuss what a major hurricane is), the coronavirus was the very first crisis the administration faced that was not of its own making.
Man, I say this with as much respect as I can, but fuck off with that. A cat five fucking bumrushed the florida panhandle in 2018, and we're still picking shit up from it two years later. The scale literally doesn't get more major than that. Pretty sure Harvey hard fucked texas a year or two earlier than that, and I think I'm forgetting at least one more serious hurricane for this administration. The crow plague isn't even remotely the first crisis not of their own making the shitgibbon's faced and been found hella' wanting in relation to.

... any case, so far as the teacher thing goes, so far as I'm aware most teachers were/still are handling 50-60 students per day at a minimum. 20-ish classroom, 2-3 classes per day. Whatever the actual ratio is to employed teachers vs. students, that means roughly fuck-all for how many students any particularly teacher works with. Least from what I've seen about the only time you'd actually have one teacher handling 15-ish students is with very small areas and their special ed students. Everywhere else you'd have a teacher teaching, testing, and grading for several dozen as a baseline. The hours or some statistical asshattery might come out to 1:15, but that is not even remotely representative of what a teacher deals with in reality. Most I know would borderline kill to only be dealing with 15 students. It's literally many a teacher's dream, and damn sure not their reality.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 05:22:37 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 458