Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 412591 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mask of +1 Disease Resistance Edition
« Reply #4320 on: September 26, 2020, 06:44:38 am »

On UK Test'N'Trace app news, it all seem to be going Ok.

Except that it won't work on all the devices that the old (cancelled) App worked on, it isn't as accurate at proximity-tagging  as the old one, there are still many issues with booking an appointment for testing and if you tell it you have symptoms but later get an official negative test result from outside the app there's no way to tell it that and abort the isolation period timer...

Still, four million downloads and counting!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mask of +1 Disease Resistance Edition
« Reply #4321 on: September 26, 2020, 08:10:21 am »

Researchers in Amsterdam have found that the coronavirus also hits the brain hard.This can explain why people lose their sense of smell and taste, 'forget' to breathe, and also why so many patients report long term concentration loss, palpitations and memory loss.

Swollen and deformed cells.  Sticky pellets and weblike structures of defense proteins.  Tissues full of activated immune cells that died fighting..
Amsterdam researchers "were completely baffled by what they saw", when studying the brains of 21 deceased corona patients under a microscope.
The virus appears to not only cause extensive damage to the lungs, but also to the brains.

Admittedly, all patients that Paul van de Valk and his fellow researchers at the Amsterdam UMC studied had died from the corona virus.
"We don't know if we would find the same damage in patients that became less ill from the virus", says van der Valk.
But what the study does show, is that corona is much more than just a respiratory disease.
"It can almost be called a systemic disease", says van der Valk. "Just about every organ in the body is affected".

The researcher did not find many virus particles in the deceased patients.  In fact, they found none at all in the brains.
They did, however, find extensive inflammation damage.  In the lungs, obviously.  But also in the liver, the kidneys, the heart and the brains.
In nearly all patients they found extensive damage to the olfactory nerve.  This would explain the remarkable loss of smell and taste in many patients.

Striking is also the damage to a part of the brain, high in the neck, that is responisble, amongst other things, for the automatic reflex of breathing.
"We know that many patients keep walking around with too little oxygen in the blood, until they acutely get very stuffy", says van der Valk.
"it is tempting to correlate this with a damaged respiratory center in the brain".

The damage is practically everywhere. "The cerebellum, the cerebrum, everywhere we looked we found inflammatory damages",  says the pathologist.
"We were baffled and impressed by the brainf deformations we found".  For example, the team found tight clusters of 'microglial cells'  everywhere, the team writes in an article in the Lancet Microbe.  Those are antennas that regulate the immune response.
"They are super-activated, almost out of control.  In all likelyhood they made a futile last effort to stop the immune response".

The brain has it's own private immune system, that usually is tuned to very low activity, to prevent the immune system in the brain to become agitated too fast and cause damage.
Yet apparently, corona virus manages to affect and deregulate even this delicate secluded part of the immune system.
"The immunological clinical picture we see here is very rare", the researchers say.  "Yet, with Covid, we see it in nearly all patients"
This could explain the so-called 'long Covid', the phenomenon where patients that often weren't even that ill from corona report that they suffer from amnesia, headaches, extreme fatigue, and 'brain mist' for months after having recovered from the disease.

"We don't have any conclusive evidence yet, but it is quite possible that 'long covid' is caused by this", says van der Valk.
Other studies already pointed at a striking correlation between long covid and a disturbed autonomic nervous system:  patients often suffer from heart rythm disturbance and breathing disorders.

"More and more, it is starting to look like that this coronavirus mostly targets the innate immune response system, the body's frontline defense system, and makes it go haywire", says internist-immunologist Pieter van Paassen (UMC Maastricht) when asked.
"That is an important new idea, and their study supports that".

Van Paassen recently conducted a studies of 228 corona patients  (https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.120.050656).
In the worst cases he observed immune cells called neutrophiles cast a web when viewed under a microscope, exactly the same as what van der Valk's team observed in their study.
"Those cells are trying to catch the virus in their webs, but while doing that they also activate the coagulation route, which likely is the reason for the extreme blood clotting we observe in patients", says van Paassen.
"The big question is, how long does this clinical picture last", says van der Valk.
He recounts horrible stories from people that are left disabled for months.
"This could imply that, once triggered, the immune response does not know how to stop".

On the other hand, the immunological clinical picture observed has many similarities with the paralysis disease Guillain-Barré."And that disease's clinical picture does end eventually.  So there is still good hope that these effects from corona are also not going to last forever", says van der Valk.

The researchers are very curious to see what effects dexamethason, which is now a standard medicine used on corona patients in hospitals to reduce inflammatory damages, will have.  Patients are now also always treated with anti-coagulents, to prevent blood clotting.

The new finds show that this new corona virus strikes surprisingly different than other respiratory virusses, like flu and the common cold."This is some kind of hit-and-run virus", says van der Valk.  "It visits briefly, causes major damage, and then leaves the body again, leaving some patients with many additional problems caused by hyperreaction of their immune system".

Translated from  https://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/coronavirus-veroorzaakt-chaos-in-de-hersenen~bac7630e/

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: September 26, 2020, 08:26:45 am »

Sadly, I already knew about this. (reports of these kinds of injuries were reported all the way back in May APRIL.)

Seriously, JUST WEAR YOUR GODDAMN MASKS, AND AVOID SOCIAL CONTACT.

That is, unless you just RELISH the notion of:

Brain damage
Permanent lung damage
Multiple organ damage from inflammation responses

all because you just could not fucking live without going to the goddamn club.

This is not a little flu. Stay the fuck home.

Somebody's financial statement is not worth the quality of the remainder of your goddamn life.  Neither is the few hours of pleasure such a risky undertaking gives you.

Somebody needs to horse-whip DeSantis and Co with a motherfucking clue bat.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:35:15 am by wierd »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: September 26, 2020, 08:45:59 am »

Swollen and deformed cells.  Sticky pellets and weblike structures of defense proteins.  Tissues full of activated immune cells that died fighting..
Amsterdam researchers "were completely baffled by what they saw", when studying the brains of 21 deceased corona patients under a microscope.
The virus appears to not only cause extensive damage to the lungs, but also to the brains.

The obvious counterpoint is that it's far from clear this is extrapolable to milder cases, let alone asymptomatic. I'd add that it'd be interesting to compare those brains they autopsied with people who died in icu of other causes (in particular infectious causes). It might be that they're seeing the consequences of DIC in serious infections rather than covid in particular. There's been a lot of that with these case reports. A few months ago I saw some haem guy on twitter become enthusiastic about "covidcytes" in peripheral blood... which to me looked remarkably like reactive lymphocytes of the sort you see in pretty much all viral infections.

Though tbh I think noone should want to gamble with getting covid given how significant the risk is for something nasty long term  happening.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:49:54 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: September 26, 2020, 08:51:39 am »

I would say the missing feature is the lack of concern for OTHER people.

People (By and large) have a hard time accepting what a risk to their own personage entails-- In the US at least, the popular culture tends to be "He-man" like about such things. "Oh, I can handle getting a little flu!" et al.

The issue is that they do not consider how their he-man bullshit is exposing hundreds or thousands of people to social contact exposure, and killing people.

You save other people's lives, by staying away from the goddamn clubs, and avoiding social gatherings.

You don't do it for yourself; If you were doing things for yourself, you would go to the goddamn parties, clubs, and bars-- and get lit off your ass, because "Fuck those other people."  No, you stay home to protect *other people*.  You wear the mask to protect *OTHER PEOPLE*.

And of course, QED--- Americans are out whooping it up at bars like there isn't a major disease epidemic.  SMDH

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: September 26, 2020, 03:06:19 pm »

*confetti falls from the sky*

It was done, and in bombastic style. 2800 positive tests in one day, a new record, pushes the average number of daily positives from the last week to over 2k, and with another record 23% of tests recording positives too!

Fantastico.

I also found out the store I work at is doing Black Friday, though with the vague “not as we normally do” proviso. Hopefully that doesn’t mean BF but now with social distancing because that is not going to work.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: September 29, 2020, 01:20:36 pm »

I would say the missing feature is the lack of concern for OTHER people.

People (By and large) have a hard time accepting what a risk to their own personage entails-- In the US at least, the popular culture tends to be "He-man" like about such things. "Oh, I can handle getting a little flu!" et al.

The issue is that they do not consider how their he-man bullshit is exposing hundreds or thousands of people to social contact exposure, and killing people.

You save other people's lives, by staying away from the goddamn clubs, and avoiding social gatherings.

You don't do it for yourself; If you were doing things for yourself, you would go to the goddamn parties, clubs, and bars-- and get lit off your ass, because "Fuck those other people."  No, you stay home to protect *other people*.  You wear the mask to protect *OTHER PEOPLE*.

And of course, QED--- Americans are out whooping it up at bars like there isn't a major disease epidemic.  SMDH

"Screw you, I've got mine"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: September 29, 2020, 02:16:50 pm »

It's as American as Apple Pie and AR15s.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

Wisconsin, after the protests, is now the worst state in the US for the virus.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Things are interesting here in the UK. Total current infections are going way up (but much of that will be finally a half[1]-decent mass testing, but there's also a visible uptick in associated deaths (very minor, but going the wrong direction all the same).

Then there's the small matter of thousands of positive tests not passed properly through our v2.0 contact-tracing app to initiate suitably prefautionary testing in everyone thus secondarily affected. But what quantities and stats and future cases that affects I couldn't hegin to say (just that it inevatably will).

Other than that, life seems to be 'normal' everywhere near me, apart from standard new-normal precautions. Though cinemas seem to have been made entirely unviable, as the only thing I might normally be expected to partake of that I will notably miss.

[1] Possibly. Arguably. Also arguable-against.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

The WHO now estimates that 10% of the world's population has, or had the corona virus.

If accurate, this means that 760 million people have been infected with the virus, a number much higher than reported by official statistics of the WHO and the John Hopkins institute (USA), which put the confirmed number of cases at 35 million.
The WHO bases it's new estimate on the average of studies in various countries measuring anti-bodies.

The new estimate was announced today in a special session of the board of the WHO, in which leading figure of the WHO Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus was first seen wearing a face-mask.
The WHO warns that the virus is gaining more and more ground, now that large parts of Europe and Eastern Asia are confronted with a second wave.

Meanwhile in the UK, nearly 16000 cases of Covid were 'missed'.
The UK government announced an investigation into the matter.
It is blamed on an Excel spreadsheet used in contact tracement.

Because the program couldn't handle the large numbers, the positive test results of 15841 infected Brits were lost.
The patients themselves did get notified they tested positive, however, due to loss of data, their 50000 contacts were not informed, possibly aiding the spread of the virus.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 05:29:30 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... what the hell does it mean when it says excel couldn't handle the large numbers? Excel trivially handles digits larger than the world's population, much less the UK's.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They’re not going to say they fucked up, and only idiots vote for the Tories, so they don’t need to be particularly creative with their excuses.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

From what I hear (unless this was a different incident altogether) the spreadsheet was not in Excel but in some older file format that can "only" handle about 65k rows of data. Apparently no one realized this until recently, which means that anything beyond the first 65k entries or so basically didn't get saved.

ETA: source
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 08:37:53 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Austerity ftw!

Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 458