Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421491 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:What Wave is it Now? Edition
« Reply #4515 on: November 14, 2020, 10:22:40 pm »

Nobody will tell me how much the vaccine will cost me

Trump claimed it would be free for US citizens. IDK what Biden's going to do going forward.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: November 14, 2020, 10:54:09 pm »

Biden's made comment/commitment to eliminate out of pocket expenses entirely for plague treatment, which would probably include the vaccine, but the exact form that takes or if it'll hold up to the pretty certain to continue GOP sabotage/intentional-mass-murder-of-american-citizens is something we just don't know yet.

Trump, well, he lost re-election so other than whatever problems his administration causes in the next few months on the subject, his previous probably-lies don't matter much.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: November 14, 2020, 11:00:01 pm »

Trump claimed it would be free for US citizens. IDK what Biden's going to do going forward.

I wouldn't ask Trump what the weather is like even if we were both standing outside.

The pandemic has shown me that even if our healthcare system literally fails we still won't consider universal healthcare for some goddamn reason.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: November 14, 2020, 11:43:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He's said what the far-right and the center-right wanted him to say, so it's hard to know what he'll actually try to do, and will have to face some adversity in congress if he doesn't do what the far-right wants, so...

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: November 14, 2020, 11:49:07 pm »

Realistically speaking it's going to be quite difficult to reduce/eliminate vaccine prices through executive authority alone. Considering that congress basically punted on test prices (the final bill merely had 'transparency' provisions), I unfortunately doubt that they'll take any meaningful action to make the vaccine itself affordable.

(That said, there might be a route through the Defense Production Act to do something similar to reducing the prices? Hrm.)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: November 15, 2020, 07:35:48 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He's said what the far-right and the center-right wanted him to say, so it's hard to know what he'll actually try to do, and will have to face some adversity in congress if he doesn't do what the far-right wants, so...
And for those that want something more than a screenshot of a clickbait title...*

Actual content of the article: Biden not actually saying bloody anything back in March, just not going out of their way to support a specific process involving something that's apparently never been successfully used before (something called march-in rights).

If you want to see what's actually been stated by Biden's campaign, rather than not-stated months ago, search this page for "ELIMINATING COST BARRIERS FOR PREVENTION OF AND CARE FOR COVID-19" and read downwards from there.

It's not as explicit a support for free vaccines as I'd like to see, but it's also not clickbait horseshit reading tea leaves from a lack of comment most of a year ago on supporting a legislative provision that's never been bloody used, either.

* Actually, that seems to be either paywalled or asking you to register, so have the source they're cribbing from.

E: Interesting note, though: While biden hasn't come out in support of trying to invoke the march-in clause, harris has. So despite the non-comment by biden directly, he was apparently willing to take on a VP that's in favor of it.

If you're trying to read tea leaves there it probably ends up something of a wash. Suggests it might get tried if republican sabotage ends up too intractable, though.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 08:12:23 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: November 15, 2020, 06:26:41 pm »

Wow, my state's governor is terrible at speeches.  She is reading it, and it sounds like it...

New lockdown restrictions, but in the first 10 minutes of the speech there have been no details.  Just a lot of "this virus us tough, we have to work together to beat it, etc."  A little blurb about "we will need help from the federal government to help with more stimulus."

Why can't they just say: "Here are the restrictions. Here is what we are going to do to help with the loss of income for those 3 weeks."

I don't need any of this token sentimental stuff. Just give us the details!

15 minutes now and no details.  She's passed it off to a health representative, and it's just "oh our states numbers are still bad, and what we're doing isn't enough" with lots of statistics, but nothing on the new orders...

20 minutes, now passed of to speaker number 3... ugh it's like these people are trying to write memorable speeches and it's terrible because the speeches are campy and they are just reading them.

Ok 23 minutes in, they are finally stating the details of the order.  Pretty minor - no indoor dining, closed entertainment venues like theaters, closing high schools for 3 weeks, only working from home, and no sports expect pro and college.  Dunno if it will do much to be honest...

edit: grammar
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 06:40:47 pm by McTraveller »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: November 15, 2020, 06:28:06 pm »

If you want to see what's actually been stated by Biden's campaign, rather than not-stated months ago, search this page for "ELIMINATING COST BARRIERS FOR PREVENTION OF AND CARE FOR COVID-19" and read downwards from there.

It's not as explicit a support for free vaccines as I'd like to see, but it's also not clickbait horseshit reading tea leaves from a lack of comment most of a year ago on supporting a legislative provision that's never been bloody used, either.

Worth noting that many of the major points in this Biden plan involve amending laws / authorizing spending / etc., which are all policies that would require a new law from congress.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: November 15, 2020, 07:28:09 pm »

Yeah, which is a problem if (as is pretty much goddamn certain) the GOP continues to actively fuck with relief efforts. There doesn't seem to be many other options, though :-\

The thing that article Iduno referenced was harping on is an utterly untested provision in a law that's been around since the 80s, which isn't exactly a better alternative, especially given the state of the judiciary.

If the Georgia runoffs don't break blue shit's probably going to have trouble getting better, for all taking some of the actively malicious folks out of the equation'll at least make it a bit harder to get worse.
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: November 15, 2020, 07:49:15 pm »

Someone here was telling me how the Pfizer vaccine was basically endgame, but I told him that I'd heard that it has some problems. Mind you, this guy also loves Trump, and was also spouting the election conspiracies in the same conversation. This guy is also Jewish, so I told him that a lot of Nazis are supporting Trump and he didn't want to hear it. The same guy was saying the pandemic is fake earlier on. He was also saying masks don't do anything since a virus could get through the mask. I tried to point out that the amount of virus that gets through the mask makes a big difference, but he seemingly had a hard time grasping how that works. If you get infected with 1 virus particle then it might breed up to the point that you have a problem, but your immune system gets a huge head start on fighting it off, in that situation, compared to someone coughing a cloud of virus right in your face and millions of viruses getting into your lungs and breeding like crazy. The difference really isn't that hard to comprehend, is it?

This guy was also pushing hydroxychloroquine a few months back, and the really telling part is that when I told him I heard that there were real problems with that vaccine he countered with "but on Facebook I heard ..." and that was the actual last straw and I fucking cut him off and yelled at him that what you read on Facebook shouldn't be considered verified information. "but on Facebook I heard ..." pretty much explains where this guy is getting all the stupid shit he comes up with, since this guy isn't savvy enough to have gone on any right-leaning forums etc. It's like a leaky dam and you're wondering where the water is getting in, and I think I found it.

Anyway, on the Pfizer vaccine, I'm reading right now that it requires storage at -70 degrees celsius, apart from the other problems I was aware of already. That's -94 Fahrenheit. This seems like an obvious flaw for something that we want to roll out to everyone.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 07:54:13 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: November 15, 2020, 08:02:13 pm »

-70°C is  255°D, though. ;)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: November 15, 2020, 08:12:04 pm »

I had to look that up. Delise scale is it? Points for obscurity, but we can go higher numbers with Rankine; 365.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: November 16, 2020, 12:16:30 am »

I had to look that up. Delise scale is it? Points for obscurity, but we can go higher numbers with Rankine; 365.
I didn’t know either of those scales existed, what, if any, are they used for?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: November 16, 2020, 04:05:24 am »

Yeah, but by measuring in degrees Delisle you're also above freezing point @150°D, solving all our problems. ;)

I didn’t know either of those scales existed, what, if any, are they used for?
Well, Rankine degrees == Fahrenheit degrees just as Kelvin degrees == (modern[1]) Celsius/Centigrade degrees (though degrees Rankine and degrees Kelvin are offset to °F and °C, or rather no longer offset to absolute zero), give or take more modern Boltzman redefinitions.

...arguments about relative usefulness of C° and F° for everyday use in 3, 2, 1...

[1] The original being reversed, the modern just renamed in honour,. And goes some small way to avoid confusion with a semi-obscure rationalist angular measure.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 04:28:15 am by Starver »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: November 16, 2020, 05:25:57 am »

On a more relevent note...

Boris Johnson, who was hospitalised with Covid earlier in the year, is now officially isolating in 10 Downing Street(ish) after meeting an MP who has subsequently tested positive and thus triggered an alert to him through the UK's much vaunted/derided Covid App.

Personally, I find that this has so many intetesting aspects (without going into the fact that Dominic "Barnard's Castle" Cunmings had only just stepped out of his 'advisor' role...), but I doubt it'll be as important an event as his original actual illness. (No, I don't think it was deliberately staged, either.)
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 459