Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423749 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mutating into COVID-21 Edition
« Reply #4860 on: January 14, 2021, 07:40:50 am »

Come clear: you delliberatedly name-dropped landthing several times because you were *eager* to give us a full etymological explanation on the damn things.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: January 14, 2021, 07:42:35 am »

A DDR state with concentration camps. Like Taiwan. Or South Korea. Or Australia. Or New Zealand. Right.

You dont have a leg to stand on and you know it.

You might ridicule my absurdism, but if you are argueing for state control to reach within people's homes, a DDR-like police state is exactly what you are argueing for.

Just like Sweden, as Scriver pointed out, that is not how our western democracies work.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: January 14, 2021, 08:24:33 am »

Come clear: you delliberatedly name-dropped landthing several times because you were *eager* to give us a full etymological explanation on the damn things.

You are 100% correct and I have no shame :P
Love, scriver~

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: January 14, 2021, 08:51:20 am »

...and obviously I have no sense of boundaries (county or otherwise).  :P

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: January 14, 2021, 09:34:51 am »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/nyregion/new-york-vaccine-guidelines.html

Looks like I'm a few days behind, but the stupid idea that everyone said was stupid, surprisingly, turned out to be stupid. Prior to this set of restrictions, NY was on course to get everyone vaccinated in about 1,000 work days (none on holidays and weekends), or about 4 years. The new lack of confidence in the system should extend that quite a bit, but Cuomo's goal the entire time has seemed to be getting as many people killed by COVID as possible.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: January 14, 2021, 10:19:28 am »

Cuomo's also saying it's time to reopen the economy:
We simply cannot stay closed until the vaccine hits critical mass. The cost is too high. We will have nothing left to open. We must reopen the economy, but we must do it smartly and safely.

As if New York's just suddenly reached a critical point where it can't bear to lockdown for a little while longer to distribute the vaccines.

I guess with the orange man leaving office, Cuomo can follow the Republican policy of reopening without seeming like he agrees with them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: January 14, 2021, 10:59:12 am »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/nyregion/new-york-vaccine-guidelines.html

Looks like I'm a few days behind, but the stupid idea that everyone said was stupid, surprisingly, turned out to be stupid. Prior to this set of restrictions, NY was on course to get everyone vaccinated in about 1,000 work days (none on holidays and weekends), or about 4 years. The new lack of confidence in the system should extend that quite a bit, but Cuomo's goal the entire time has seemed to be getting as many people killed by COVID as possible.

Wow, 1000 days!?  My state government just issued their goals, which is 70% of the over-16 population in our state to be vaccinated within about four months (5.6M people, 50k/day). Apparently we are at about 30k/day right now, constrained by supply.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: January 14, 2021, 08:03:21 pm »

1000 days would be about 19k per day for new york, yeah, though the work day thing extends that. For what that's worth. Still pretty shit.

Just one of those reminders new york has a population of about 20 million, so... yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: January 14, 2021, 08:11:06 pm »

1000 days would be about 19k per day for new york, yeah, though the work day thing extends that. For what that's worth. Still pretty shit.

Just one of those reminders new york has a population of about 20 million, so... yeah.

Oh, I thought the population was lower. They were averaging 4-5k per day, until Cuomo got involved.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: January 15, 2021, 07:35:40 am »

Shit. The EU started an investigation, after 13 elderly people died in Norway after being vaccinated with the Moderna vaccin.
Norway doesn't want to wait for the results, and has already added a warning to the prescription that the vaccin is not suitable for vulnerable elderly.

Shit. The moderna vaccin is what our government intends to use exclusively for the vulnerable elderly.

On behalf of the Norse medicine agency, Steinar Madsen issued a statement: "The deaths are likely caused by the usually mild side effects of the vaccin. If you are very vulnerable, it is likely not a good idea to be vaccinated."

There goes the plan to vaccinate everyone, down the drain. Worrisome, since most countries' vaccination strategy involves vaccinating the vulnerable groups (and those working with them) first.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 07:43:48 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: January 15, 2021, 03:45:28 pm »

EU is complaining to Pfizer that the supply rate is too low. (I'm still worried that the UK is maximising first-doses by minimising second doses, but at least we have three products to try. And nothing said locally about the problems with innoculating the inherently fragile, I suppose we could just have the MHRA ignore any EMEA rulings.)

UK has determined the Brazil strain isn't as bad feared, but is also closing all international travel corridors for a month (not sure how tightly[1]). Also, we no longer think therapeutic plasma is actually as useful as we thought.

[1] Especially not sure how that works with the Scottish fishermen who are actually going to Denmark to directly sell their catches, due to the simultaneous but largely unrelated total mess over UK/EU trade.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: January 16, 2021, 04:48:01 am »

Shit. The EU started an investigation, after 13 elderly people died in Norway after being vaccinated with the Moderna vaccin.
Norway doesn't want to wait for the results, and has already added a warning to the prescription that the vaccin is not suitable for vulnerable elderly.

Shit. The moderna vaccin is what our government intends to use exclusively for the vulnerable elderly.

On behalf of the Norse medicine agency, Steinar Madsen issued a statement: "The deaths are likely caused by the usually mild side effects of the vaccin. If you are very vulnerable, it is likely not a good idea to be vaccinated."

There goes the plan to vaccinate everyone, down the drain. Worrisome, since most countries' vaccination strategy involves vaccinating the vulnerable groups (and those working with them) first.
29 actually. Out of 33000 norwelgians vaccinated, mostly in elderly and at-risk groups. And that's an investigation for potential side effects,  it doesnt actually mean any of the 29 died from the vaccine.

Care to guess the covid IFR in at-risk and elderly population? (Hint: significatively higher than 1 per 1000). Well, dont worry, the way the pandemic is going you wont have to guess.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4872 on: January 16, 2021, 05:41:45 am »

Apparently the moderna vaccines pose a risk for high frailty patients but are still safely usable for most ppl

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: January 16, 2021, 05:51:07 am »

Yes, that's what I said.
Just very unfortunate that our government intended the Moderna for use on vulnerable elderly, in january/february.  Because most elderly care homes do not have super-fridges to keep the Pfizer cool. We might have to go back to the drawing table and re-think our vaccination logistics because of it. Which will inevitably delay things. Which is bad. 
We have enough 'normal vehicles' to quickly distribute Moderna to all our elderly care homes in about 1 month.  However, if we are going to have to rely on our limited fleet of special medical vehicles with super cooling, it will take months, if not years before we have vaccinated all elderly care homes. 
The other option is to have them come to a central location, lke the rest of the population, but that has it's own problems. We're going to need a lot of volunteers to accompany immobile elderly to the vaccination location, and a lot of medically schooled security to keep demented patients and mentally retarded from stomping, kicking, biting, scratching, spitting and throwing poop at the medical staff, whereas if they are vaccinated in their own institutions, the local staff can manage.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 06:13:10 am by martinuzz »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: January 16, 2021, 06:42:02 am »

Apparently the moderna vaccines pose a risk for high frailty patients but are still safely usable for most ppl
We´ll see what comes from the analysis. For what I´ve seen they have been reported because it might have been a contributing factor. But it wouldn´t be the first time that after review it turned out not to be a contributing factor at all.

Even if it was: it´s still probably safer than risking getting covid for those people. I would think any high frailty patient is likely to be at high risk of severe covid. A friend of mine told me that in her former nursing home (which I think might represent a good selection of frail patients of various ages) in Madrid covid killed 60 out of 180 inpatients.
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 459