Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 458

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 412842 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Big Pharma Shenanigans Edition
« Reply #5265 on: March 01, 2021, 01:02:59 pm »

You two are so mean!

Oh lol I was just going to say that half are below the median not the mean in general in quantified measurements. Not about this specific case... I'm not sure where the median is relative to the mean here and there are huge problems with trying to quantify intelligence anyway.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: March 01, 2021, 04:15:40 pm »

The Mode never gets any love  :'(

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: March 01, 2021, 05:01:17 pm »

I think the diversion is a fatigue coping mechanism....

I'm thinking my age group and career cohort won the lottery though? We can potentially get the single-dose vaccine, instead of two-dose.  I've been lazy and haven't been following the data closely.  Is this a legit bonus, or is it "meh"?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: March 01, 2021, 06:03:22 pm »

Oh, trust me, some school age students are pretty boneheaded, often willfully so for the sake of it. As a yardstick, consider one of average intelligence. Half of them are below that.
Half of them are below the median - the smartest of them pull the average up above that - so more than half are below the average.

Was going to say this.

Unless there are a few really stupid ones, pulling in the other direction...

Yay semantics! Never change, B12LB.
Except there is a floor to intelligence but no real ceiling. Unless there are people with negative intelligence.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: March 01, 2021, 06:05:03 pm »

*dumps a copy of that one book by Steven Jay Gould into the thread*

Can we switch topics, y'all? I don't have a good one but the entire field of IQ testing was formed by American eugenicists who wanted excuses to enact regressive immigration law.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: March 01, 2021, 09:40:18 pm »

I think the diversion is a fatigue coping mechanism....

I'm thinking my age group and career cohort won the lottery though? We can potentially get the single-dose vaccine, instead of two-dose.  I've been lazy and haven't been following the data closely.  Is this a legit bonus, or is it "meh"?

Meh, at best.  In fact I'd probably extend that to shortchanged. Still that's assuming an ideal world, and if the question is between no coverage and the single dose vaccine then it's definitely a windfall.
(Assuming its america and the two shot is moderna and the one shot is johnson.)
Worth checking Wikipedia as a starting point for information.  And noting that we have no information about long-term health effects of any of the vaccines (hopefully there are none) or how each vaccine might or might not cover future strains.

In my own case the choice (in a few months) looks to be between astrazeneca or nothing, so az is the clear winner here.  ;)
(In that ideal world I'd probably be opting for sputnik, with pfizer at the top of the alternative short list.  Although I'd be doing more research before making a final decision.)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:44:29 pm by feelotraveller »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: March 02, 2021, 06:03:13 pm »

Welp, reason N+1 to stay the hell away from Texas.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: March 03, 2021, 02:25:09 am »

Already been ranting in the discord about this.  If Tx wants to be Plague Capitol of the USA, then let them.

Just remind them, when they have 30% of their population suffering from systemic lung health problems for decades later, with profound numbers of people needing extensive medical assistance to live "normal" lives, that they don't get to ask for federal aid until they come clean and fix their shit, because of how much of bitch fit and virtue signalling shitshow they put on about being "Hard working" and "Not needing any aid!" while they gleefully discarded their masks, and that the end consequences for that set of choices coming home to roost with compound interest later, is not our responsibility, but theirs, and that in return for that aid they will need later, they **WILL** improve their healthcare, **WILL** improve their infrastructure, and **WILL** improve their social infrastructure for people with disabilities, before they can be eligible for it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: March 03, 2021, 06:12:47 am »

Most democratic governments define 'long term' as 'next election cycle' so good luck with getting any actionable results over public policy decisions with consequences measured in the span of decades.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: March 03, 2021, 08:19:36 am »

Someone threw a pipe bomb at one of our corona testing locations. Luckily no one was injured, but the windows of the building are blown out.

Fucking retarded fuck conspiracy fucktards.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: March 03, 2021, 10:18:24 am »

Hasn't that happened already? Goddamn 2020s time fugue...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: March 03, 2021, 06:57:13 pm »

Just remind them, when they have 30% of their population suffering from systemic lung health problems for decades later, with profound numbers of people needing extensive medical assistance to live "normal" lives, that they don't get to ask for federal aid until they come clean and fix their shit, because of how much of bitch fit and virtue signalling shitshow they put on about being "Hard working" and "Not needing any aid!" while they gleefully discarded their masks, and that the end consequences for that set of choices coming home to roost with compound interest later, is not our responsibility, but theirs, and that in return for that aid they will need later, they **WILL** improve their healthcare, **WILL** improve their infrastructure, and **WILL** improve their social infrastructure for people with disabilities, before they can be eligible for it.

Problem is, you have 2 different groups of people you're conflating. Politicians have been enacting these laws, and the citizens are the only ones who are punished.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: March 03, 2021, 07:05:24 pm »

Problem is, you have 2 different groups of people you're conflating. Politicians have been enacting these laws, and the citizens are the only ones who are punished.

IF you believe the democratic process is working (throws salt over shoulder), then the politicians are representative of the will of the people, who would be suffering the brunt of the consequences of the people they elected.

The kind of separation you imply, implies a systemic breakdown in democratic representation.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: March 04, 2021, 03:28:01 am »

Oh, weird, you seem very confused about how this all works. Republican “personal responsibility” is very simple: you’re personally responsible for dealing with the consequences of whatever shit they throw at you.

Privilege flows up, responsibility flows down.

Simple.
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 458