Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423739 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:New Year, New Variant Edition
« Reply #6300 on: January 12, 2022, 07:11:41 am »

To be fair he asked the FWP to deliver him, in public a program on how that money would solve world hunger for everyone to see first. They never backed up their words with the numbers, or at least not yet. It would be awesome if they did.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: January 12, 2022, 07:28:23 am »

The WFP never said that they could solve world hunger with that money. They said they could prevent 42 million deaths from starvation with it, iirc, and subsequently set out a plan for that. That's £142 per death prevented, which is pretty astounding when compared to realistic estimates of charitable donation, but possibly hunger deaths are low hanging fruit somehow and it's actually true, I don't know.

Naturally, Elon managed to manipulate people's perceptions there so it looks like the humanitarian NGO is the one that's all talk. It's kinda what he's good at, after all.
One wheel short of a wagon

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: January 12, 2022, 07:42:44 am »

Yeah, the WFP came with a pretty complete plan, including numbers.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: January 12, 2022, 09:33:28 am »

Then Elon must have lost a lot of face over this.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: January 12, 2022, 11:16:19 am »

Then Elon must have lost a lot of face over this.

I doubt it. He's basically convinced himself he's Tony Stark, and his businesses are solid. So no, I doubt this meaningfully hurt him. Although I will say that among tech entrepreneurs, he's gone from the golden boy to a shitheel for some.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: January 12, 2022, 11:36:02 am »

As it seemed odd to me than "only" 6 billions would be required to end world hunger, i googled a bit, and indeed according to this :
https://ceres2030.org/shorthand_story/donors-must-double-aid-to-end-hunger-and-spend-it-wisely/

It's unfortunately a lot more than a single 6 billions $ check from Musk to end world hunger and make sure it does not come back by sustaining local farms and avoid more climatic damage on areas.

And that without taking in account how much of that donated money would disappear in local corruptions, local wars, local terrorism and various kind of thefts :/

But still  6 billions $ would certainly helps a very lot of people that suffer from hunger.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: January 12, 2022, 11:45:31 am »

To the hungry masses, politicians' only merit is their nutritional value. Hence most poor countries keep getting stuck with corrupt and gluttonous rulers.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: January 12, 2022, 05:34:45 pm »

You are preaching to the choir here pal.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 06:48:02 am by LordBaal »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: January 13, 2022, 09:25:49 am »

Would Maduro taste better with red wine or with white wine?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: January 13, 2022, 09:50:36 am »

White wine obviously, he's kinda fishy
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: January 13, 2022, 01:23:25 pm »

Ummm deep fried mustache.... did you guys saw his cartoon? Google SuperBigote Mano the Hierro. Is fucking hilarious.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: January 14, 2022, 02:54:28 am »

Deep fried mustache sounds like strange fair food, you buy from a dirty van next to the dumpsters.

Also I've always thought that Elon guy sounded like an ass.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: January 14, 2022, 03:24:45 am »

He was the first African to become the "richest" person in the world.  A pity it's mostly due to leveraging capital from his parents, promising impossible projects, and trolling Twitter while (allegedly) trading off the resulting stock swings.

How ironic that SMAC's Nwabudike Morgan would end up being a white south african.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: January 14, 2022, 04:33:52 am »

He was the first African to become the "richest" person in the world.

*cough*?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: January 18, 2022, 09:22:59 pm »

Feels like my brain is melting.

I'm personally asking people who are unvaccinated and can become vaccinated and are reading this, or have relatives in that condition, either get vaxxed or pick those fights if you haven't yet. I can't fucking take any more isolation. We're at almost two years now.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 459