Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421477 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Plague begets War Edition
« Reply #6600 on: April 13, 2022, 03:55:14 am »

I've been puzzling what your job is. With your frequency of posting I was thinking, submarine crew, oil rig crew.. Off the grid for a week, then back to posting.
Well at this rate I've been changing industry every two years so you never know. Right now I'm respiratory health research technician, and I can't tell whether I was fortunate or unfortunate to work in lung health during Covid, but it seems to have worked out all right. Maybe next year I'll try to be a sea captain

But I think I got it now! You are a coal mine overseer! No internets 1 mile below the earth xD
Now if I could work in a salt mine or something I'd definitely see if I could carve a giant urist into the wall. Don't mess with coal though. Coal dust is dangerous stuff

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: April 13, 2022, 06:48:59 am »

Coal dust is dangerous stuff
Ah, black lung disease (ironically, often paired with 'vibration white finger'), but at least it isn't pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: April 13, 2022, 12:45:23 pm »

I'm the only person in my family not to get it, hah. They're all unvaccinated and got it at various points over the last few years. No issues with any of them, including the 70 year olds thankfully.
My friends and I are having a contest to see who can make it the longest without ever catching it. We're now down to just two people, after my doctor friend caught it last week. Despite my job being to get people to cough up their lungs for a living, I'm still in the running! Precautions seem to work well when you're diligent, whereas all but one of my family managed to come down with Covid over Christmas because they didn't wash their hands. Now kids are wonderful, but if they give you anything - a truffle, a sweet or a tangerine, doesn't matter what it is, they're giving you a flu. That was wisdom I learned way before Covid but it bears repeating

I'm not sure which came first - your message, or me saying in the WTF thread that I've got covid  :P

Either way, yea, I'm out of the running now.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6603 on: April 13, 2022, 05:50:05 pm »

You should get a blue peter badge and a stipend from the government for making it this far, but alas, this is not a good and fair world, and the gov is run by people who break the law on covid parties anyways ;[

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: April 13, 2022, 06:33:44 pm »

So far I appear to be covid-free despite working in an industry that seems determined to ignore covid regulations as much as possible (and consequently is getting wrecked by it to the point where there are debates about lowering the minimum age in order to bring in fresh blood). However, shortly before the disease really got going in the US (the days when we could count the number of known cases on two hands) I came down with...something, that put me out of work for a few days with fevers and general illness.

This was long before home tests and vaccines and everything else became available, even before folks had a solid idea on which symptoms to look for, so I have no idea what made me sick. Might have been covid, but considering the lack of long-term effects and the fact that no one else in my family became ill I sorta doubt it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: April 21, 2022, 11:25:15 am »

The thing is on the rise again, anecdotally from where I'm standing. They wheeled my neighbor across the hall out on a stretcher Tuesday night. Another friend's family has it, again, 2nd time now. My boss' son got it again, even triple vacc'd, along with 3/4 of the wait staff at the restaurant he works at. All this within the last week.

More people are getting sick, although it's sore throats and allergies and other things in addition to covid.

I feel like we're going to have another resurgence very soon, or early summer.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: April 21, 2022, 01:02:13 pm »

Nah, the resurgence is NOW.

EDIT: Tried to find out about the newer variants by looking at the CDC website.  What a waste of time.  The CDC remains completely useless in promulgating accurate information in a timely fashion.  The CDC has only ever been useful in understanding legal responsibilities of businesses (basically, lots of state regulations refer to the CDC, thus if you follow CDC guidelines, the State is less concerned with you).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: April 21, 2022, 07:34:15 pm »

The thing is on the rise again, anecdotally from where I'm standing. They wheeled my neighbor across the hall out on a stretcher Tuesday night. Another friend's family has it, again, 2nd time now. My boss' son got it again, even triple vacc'd, along with 3/4 of the wait staff at the restaurant he works at. All this within the last week.

More people are getting sick, although it's sore throats and allergies and other things in addition to covid.

I feel like we're going to have another resurgence very soon, or early summer.

Nah, we've changed the definition of a resurgence so it isn't counted. That way we can keep killing off elderly, disabled, poor, etc. people with the disease without affecting profits too much.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: April 21, 2022, 07:51:03 pm »

i can hear doctor fauci personally cackling as he changes the definition of the very word 'anecdotally' in nenjin's mind from his 5g transmitter

Less nonsensically, and just as anecdotally- jesus everyone is sick right now. Sister's family, half my work team, leadership from development teams. Covid? My coworkers, yes.

So glad I get to work from home.

My small town is about to have its big spring drinking binge this weekend, so I'm going to do my very best not to rub elbows with anyone for the next two weeks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 11:06:54 am by None »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: May 13, 2022, 03:33:50 am »

Yesterday, North Korea reported it's first case of corona.
Today, North Korea reported it's first corona death, and 187000 infected.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: May 13, 2022, 04:13:16 am »

That's a bad variant. It's a good job they are selflessly isolating themselves from the rest of the world and refusing to let its people leave...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: May 14, 2022, 10:00:52 pm »

The odds of this actually being their first case are really, really low. Much more likely that they're just losing the ability to suppress information. The exact same way China's now coming unglued.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: May 15, 2022, 03:54:36 am »

(Did I forget the /s? Or possibly I thought it wouldn't need making any more obvious at all. However, what with Poe...)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: May 15, 2022, 04:58:01 am »

Nah no s necessary, it came across
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: May 15, 2022, 05:10:12 am »

So, I can tell you why the newest form of COVID is more infectious from personal experience.

See, new COVID causes mucus to shoot out of your eyes.  Thus, masking the nose and mouth is ineffective.
(Thankfully, I wear glasses and have been isolating since that newest symptom)
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 459