Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421453 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Somehow STILL a thing Edition
« Reply #6780 on: September 26, 2022, 03:37:18 pm »

So, I will most likely be coming back to my university tomorrow. The official policy is that you can come back 24 hours after your symptoms disappear, but when I talked with the university healthcare staff on the phone today, they were eager to release me. It seems like the only symptoms they cared about was the fever that's now gone. My throat is still sore and I've got a cough, but they just said that some symptoms take longer to disappear than others. I am still testing positive on the take-home kits.

Anyway, the question I ask now is whether my swift return is backed by recent developments in the science or is it just a politically motivated "Make quarantines as short as possible, damned be the public" kind of thing?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: September 26, 2022, 06:51:10 pm »

Economically motivated "get the fuck back to work until you die you useless scum" and nothing more.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: September 26, 2022, 06:59:36 pm »

The cough+positive (even if you don't feel the fever, which is what the "blood response" is and does suggest that the wider effects are no longer seen as urgently important by your immune system) makes me wary about whether you should be wandering about. Could be non-(Covid-)infective coughing and mere traces of the remains of the battle your body just had but that's hard to judge remotely, or even necessarily in person.

Their response could just be part of that being "it's just a cold", now, in many eyes. But even "just a cold" isn't an excuse that society should really accept. There's a lot of middleground between ultra-healthconsciousness and blasé, and I think we've swung further towards the latter than I'm personally comfortable with, even a couple of years on... And nowhere near making "just a cold" a legitmate victim of the collateral damage too. So I'd be mystified, if it weren't for knowing how interest in such things wane.

(For your part, I leave it to you, but I'd certainl expect healthcare staff to still want to err to caution, without any other influences upon their advice. Effective false-positives being more permissable, and recoverable from, than letting false-negatives ruin all the hard work done for much of the time...)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: December 14, 2022, 10:46:32 pm »

Looks like this hasn't been a popular topic for a while, but cases are skyrocketing and it looks like Vec is skipping Christmas yet again !!

What about you all? Have you been thinking about risk mitigation plans?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: December 14, 2022, 11:13:05 pm »

Caught it a couple of months ago, and may have caught it again back at the start of the month. Can't get a booster unless I'm clean for 3 months, yet can't get clean without a booster. An endless catch 22.

At least I'm thoroughly vaccinated now.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: December 15, 2022, 03:29:57 am »

My way to reduce the risk of catching Covid is to do what I normal do and not go out much if at all, I might go out once a week.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: December 15, 2022, 05:27:24 am »

My way is to wear a mask insofar as I can and remember. Its not 100% of the time but it helps
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: December 15, 2022, 09:30:19 am »

Seems like flu is going around more than Covid in my area, but that’s just anecdotal.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #6788 on: December 15, 2022, 11:52:58 am »

So what's going on in China?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: December 15, 2022, 12:11:49 pm »

As far as I've heard, China's trying American Solutions and getting American Results. Really stupid move honestly.

Meanwhile over here, it seems likes we're seeing the natural results of letting covid go unchecked: another covid wave, on top of very bad flu and RSV surges. Weird how we've got all 3 right? Til you remember part of covid's effects include wiping out parts of your immune system's memory. Suddenly, the entire population is immunocompromised to some degree or another.

To manage this, our polycule has switched entirely to remote work, with those who can supporting those who can't. Avoiding all unnecessary indoor spaces around other people, and N95s any time we're around other people, indoors or out. No big gatherings or events, indoors or out. My household has been, and with any luck will continue to remain, covid free through the entire pandemic. We don't see a viable alternative, given how many others in and out of the polycule have been severely impacted by long covid. If we lived in a communist system, where our needs would be guaranteed to be met regardless, sure, maybe we could gamble with our lives. But as is, long covid chronic fatigue preventing us from working, as it has several people I know, is utterly non-viable in an economic system that will kill you if you can't work.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: December 15, 2022, 12:41:30 pm »

So what's going on in China?

All restrictions immediately lifted. No preparations were made.

Everyone's got covid in probably the world's biggest wave. Me, my wife, and presumably our kid, all have it and most friends I know have picked it up in the last few days. My boss, my coworker, my daughter's teacher, heck the lady next door has it.

I'm praying it remains not severe for everyone I know because hospitals have no ability to help you at this point. I'm very worried that very many people are going to die.

N95 masks and at-home tests have all been bought out by scalpers and are absurdly priced. The official tests are so fucked now they don't send you a result if you are positive (and test ten people at a time, so are just not sending results at all, because one of you certainly has it.)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6791 on: December 15, 2022, 01:16:22 pm »

Anyone want to play with my pathogen and demographics simulator? It's really accurate if you give it the right parameters. I want to normalize simulating things since people are trying to come up with opinions about really complicated statistical data by essentially counting on their fingers, and having a calculator that can actually handle this sort of thing should be useful.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: December 15, 2022, 02:50:51 pm »

I need to figure out how to sell my blood for analyses - my wife has tested positive twice for COVID-19, and I (to my knowledge) have not had it yet.

(I have, though, had the original 2-course Pfizer, plus a single booster - but that boost was over 6 months ago.)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: December 15, 2022, 02:54:46 pm »

You might just be oner the people that are asymptomatic.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: December 15, 2022, 05:02:57 pm »

All restrictions immediately lifted. No preparations were made.

Everyone's got covid in probably the world's biggest wave. Me, my wife, and presumably our kid, all have it and most friends I know have picked it up in the last few days. My boss, my coworker, my daughter's teacher, heck the lady next door has it.

I'm praying it remains not severe for everyone I know because hospitals have no ability to help you at this point. I'm very worried that very many people are going to die.

N95 masks and at-home tests have all been bought out by scalpers and are absurdly priced. The official tests are so fucked now they don't send you a result if you are positive (and test ten people at a time, so are just not sending results at all, because one of you certainly has it.)

Huh, I would have expected China to keep being strict about keeping a lid on things. Wonder what tipped them over to just opening up completely and getting an infection surge.

Regardless, good luck to you and yours with regards to coming out of it healthy.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 459