Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402611 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - slowly running out of ghouls
« Reply #1245 on: October 21, 2021, 08:35:47 pm »

Looks good to me. May the tavern keeper make all cups floweth over!

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: October 24, 2021, 07:35:12 pm »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 1st of Granite 179

Citizens of Smallhands! Welcome to an Adamantine age of prosperity!

We stand at the start of the 30th year in this fortress city. Your solidarity is my pride and your prosperity my strength. I gracefully accept your love just as much as your votes for Overseership. You are my hands in my pursuit of an age of dwarves! You are my Smallhands!

The Tavern Keeper knows your troubles- the complaints of no armour are second only to your cheers at my latest term! Well no more! Nobody will be able to complain over the ding of hammer on steel! You say there is not enough plants to grow for different booze? Fear not for I will let you raid the elves and put them out of their misery.

No true dwarf sits on their laurels. No true dwarf would fight alongside the goblins, their demonic overlord and the deity that dares to mess with me, with smallhands!
The ghastly rain that ravages our eastern territory is but one symptom of the collective blight they inflict upon the world. And so Smallhands, our soldiers will do what our doctors cannot and cleanse this taint with blade and magma both. While the fevered cover the sky, our soldiers and farmers can work below safe from the goo once the glass roof is complete.
The biome shall be reclaimed for smallhands and worked for the first time since the year our fortress home was founded, and from there our fighters can join me in putting the traitors to the axe and the goblins in the dirt, their blood shall nourish the fields they have tainted so they can sustain our descendents in generations to come!

Finally, I will see to yet another task my predecessors have failed in- moving our dead to the new internments I had dug years ago where they can rest peacefully and in glory rather than being in random coffins in one pile of insults amongst many. New slabs and coffins for all and the legendary halls shall be restored to those that deserve the honours.

This year will be another step to my dwarven age. It is another step to YOUR dwarven age. Now raise your tankards and down your drinks, Smallhands has work to do!

------------------
just intro for now and a speech from your favourite tavern keeper as she becomes dictator once more.

Goals
- get better military equipment and more smiths
-raid and hopefully wipe out the elves
-finish the glass roof, turn the lower part of the tower into an a marksdwarf station
-continue previous side project of moving all the graves into the new markers. Dispose of the unworthy ones (like goblins that got buried)
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: October 24, 2021, 08:16:10 pm »

Fatcat grumbles something under his breath about elves not being enemies, and dwarves who like their woodwork not being traitors, but it is lost in the general hubbub.

Ask me what I was doing if there are any seemingly nonsensical design choices with the glass roof. I might remember.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: October 25, 2021, 04:12:58 am »

Fatcat grumbles something under his breath about elves not being enemies, and dwarves who like their woodwork not being traitors, but it is lost in the general hubbub.
Ask me what I was doing if there are any seemingly nonsensical design choices with the glass roof. I might remember.

Recon has a hatred of elves in her personality x3

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: October 25, 2021, 04:14:54 am »

Some call it jealousy - the elves have a variety of fruit and flavors that any dwarf brewer would wish to have.

Others say it is merely professional distaste. Recon can brew a thousand flavors from the simple plump helmet. What the elves do is just lazy.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: October 30, 2021, 07:16:20 am »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 2nd of Granite 179

Smallhands is many things, but among this list is that its a perfect example of why the Overseer term limit of 1 year is both a good thing and a bad thing.
On one hand, it limits the damage and ambition that a bad overseer can do- see Malfoy's reign of necromancy experiments or Quasar's lichdom of hate

On the other...well you get unfinished  but useful projects like this tree farm
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or that unfortunate 5 year period where due to slacking dwarves and overseers I didn't have a Tavern to serve booze and the Tall Bar was unfinished.

One personal project of mine which sadly, successive and predecessor overseers failed to address was moving the dead to the new halls of memory and unifying the slabs. For example: Bim, Salmeuk's old wife who had the unfortunate honour of being the first to perish in Smallhands has no less than 3 slabs and a coffin marker for her in case we ever find the corpse. (Nobody found the body according to the records. Best guess is she either fled smallhands or had an accident with the atomsmasher)
So she's going to get reduced to one slab that we can replace with a coffin if her body does turn up.

I will also, henceforth, give the order to remove Kubruk's coffin from its resting place. That room is for fortress legends like myself and Nogood, the crafting legends are elsewhere. Speaking of, which sober buffoon nicked the pedestal I put in Nogood's room? That was for quicknesshawk! I took it specifically to Wardpuppets to give him some vengeance and peace.
I also noted there was a surprising amount of engravings of the same image of our late KingZultan being appointed to office. Not sure why, I'll have to ask Fatcat the engraver.

Looking about, there are 3 unfilled rooms for legends of the fortress. I wonder who should I give the other rooms to. I drew up a shortlist of 4 though. So one of them has to go.

1. Kingzultan for services to policing and saving the fortress from Spriggan's dark powers.
2. Auze for services to brokerage and for breaking the drinking record
3. Radiofort for cleaning and military strategy when it came to fighting off a goblin siege.
4. Phonso the Gravekeeper whose contraptions paved the way to save this fort from many a doom at the hands of the goblins and undead.

In other news, I have assigned myself, Sakzul (a legendary furnace operator and metalcrafter and surprisingly good all round smith and we have him on mining?) Vabok and Auze to the anvils.
myself and Vabok will be on armoursmithing, Auze and Sakzul will be on weaponsmithing.

The fort had nobody assigned to any form of metal work. on that note, we have no less than 6 members of the fort legendary at metalcrafting. Its a pity that its such a niche skill. Anyway we are now all down training on some of the mountains of copper.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 8th of Granite 179

I'm barely a week into my reign and suddenly Vabok has been struck with some sort of inspiration not long after he dabbled with metal once more.

OOC sorry for delay. I've come down with something from work and its causing me to sleep an awful lot and barely concentrate. Not done much so far, mainly looking around the fort and planning grave and statue allotments

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: October 30, 2021, 07:43:02 am »

No worries, recon.

Damn this intro made me so nostalgic. Insane all the things this little fort has been through. Can't wait to read more!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: November 01, 2021, 01:54:08 am »

I want my dead body in the legendary section.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: November 01, 2021, 07:08:05 pm »

I want my dead body in the legendary section.
I want my dead body in the legends section!
Oh wait, no, it was eaten by a helmet snake. Nevermind.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: November 01, 2021, 07:20:53 pm »

Phonso can take the hit - I think I've had enough characters. Plus...Phonso is in the zoo, right?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: November 03, 2021, 12:45:21 pm »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 13th of Granite 179

A giant redwing blackbird of ours has finally died...of old age! What a way to go in a fortress!

I have decided to get some use out of the arena and dispose of the annoying goblins, traitors, filthy elves and various animals near the emergency stockpiles. To do that I have ordered a room dug out above the arena for us to toss the lot through.

Initial measurements proved slightly troublesome by virtue of that giant corpse wandering around that everyone had forgotten about. Arm up swamp hunters! we've some moving target practice!

A shame I'm going to have to put this shield down. I have been asked by a previous overseer to lead the swamp hunters and so I led them.

At least I got to keep my steel armour.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 23rd of Granite 179

We've been rotating in who gets to shoot at the giant. There's bolts sticking out of every part of it now.

More bad news: there's still elven corruption in these halls

A brief trip to Salmeuk and Auze's offices respectively along with orders to dump any elven rubbish about into the lava chute occured while I went to fetch more bolts. While I can count on Auze to get round to it after he's drunk enough Salmeuk seems to be very distracted recently, I wonder why that is...

The sounds of a broken Mead bottle echo throughout the fortress

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 11th of Slate 179

Damn pointy eared wretch! She got inside the fort before I could pull the lever and dump the frothy fire on her! Salmeuk kept her occupied for a little while, then Auze poked his head into the shooting gallery, squirmed uncomfortably and drank another pint from the barrel he was hauling (I don't get Auze. Complaining about not getting any martial training yet abhors violence in any manner) then called me out because the "diplomat" had brought traders with her.

I trecked upstairs with him to see what they had. It would have been insulting were it not so exasperating. There was so little in the manifest despite 4 wagons, and the majority was tainted irrevocably with that "grown" nonsense.
I told Auze to get it over with and he came back that evening having sold a single pair of worn out masterwork bronze greaves in return for a supply of nuts and fruit that I'll make into new drinks after I have cleansed them of the taint made by those filthy elves. Idiot elf was ecstatic over a pair of worn out leggings.

I took a heavy drink from Auze's barrel and told Salmeuk the last Maize Beer was up for grabs pending the outcome of the tree quota.
Salmeuk started out well negotiating a quota of 146 logs. I came back around later with Salmeuk having kicked her out the office and left the diplomat over a barrel, literally. She was in the drinks stockpile and Reg confirmed it was full when hauling it away.

Salmeuk must have gotten cross and dumped her there. That maize beer is being drunk tonight.

In other news our new armourer has celebrated the craft with the heaviest pair of leggins I have ever seen

Made of lead, and encircled with tunnel tube wood.

Oh well, back to training.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 18th of Slate 179

A beer stain covers the parchment
I've sadly had to call off the archery practice.

We've shot so many pieces off the giant they have started to rot. Its a bit hard to shoot in miasma, so its break time. I headed down to the forge and picked up some new masterwork steel armour curtesy of Vabok and chatted away to some of the other soldiers.

I've assigned Bluarian to weaponsmithing. Did nobody in the fortress notice that this knight is a MASTER WEAPONSMITH? The incompetence of my fellow Overseers knows no bounds at times I swear.
The smithies are getting an expansion too. There is Adamantine, the most powerful of metals in our depths. When the day comes when I lead the charge to end Weevilmessiah's reign of terror over the world, I will have great need of it. Adamantine is a metal that the so called gods fear, a metal that is perfect for slaying demons and goblins alike.
My age of dwarves is on the horizon and to craft it requires dwarves skilled in the art of extracting strands of adamantine into wafers.

Ral Uzolitem, an axe lord, once worked with but a mere nodule back at the mountainhomes and assures me of his skilled hands with wafers. He shall be the first to extract it for use. Vabok shall make the first cloak, and I shall be the one to wear it. From there, an army full of adamantine.

In the meantime, we will crush our enemies with steel. from master to student do our weapons fight on through countless battles. The legend of Recon's dwarven age will be filled with stories just like the one of the Diamond Butterfly

A wine stain sits on the parchment

Clearly I'm not drinking enough. I usually had more done by the end of the first 6 weeks in my previous reigns. Or maybe the relentless grind of shooting bolts has worn me down

--------------------

OOC: I think at some point there's going to need to be a year of organisation. We have workshops all over the fortress in no coherent pattern. Great for if we get a forgotten beast running through the fort. Bad for fort productivity.
I've mainly been looking and going through military equipment, reassigning labours etc. The stuff you do when paused

Does anyone know what that hatch above the cavern is there for?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 03:44:01 pm by recon1o6 »

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: November 07, 2021, 10:11:33 pm »

Wasn't that for dropping gifts down to Buqui?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: November 07, 2021, 10:36:04 pm »

Wasn't that for dropping gifts down to Buqui?

Yeah, I spent some time looking for that thing - the artifact hatch can't be broken by even flying megabeasts, so it's perfect for the sole in/out to the caverns.

Originally my idea was to toss undead down there until Buqui kicked the bucket, but nothing came of it.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: November 08, 2021, 01:09:44 pm »

hey, long time no post, I cannot believe we're still rolling with this place. Love to see... that we still exist in one form or another. Surprised the Mystery of Bim is still being talked about, and that my dwarf hasn't been murdered or killed.

being a self-proclaimed master of "community fortress re-organization", I think I should sign up for a turn!

Smallhands is approaching the age where every nook, cranny, and passage has some story associated with it. such a DENSITY when the map is this small. nice

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: November 08, 2021, 02:57:38 pm »

Yup, smallhand's tale of small epics is still rolling

Despite rl trying to fuck me over every moment I can, things are progressing. Either tonight or tomorrow I'll have another update

edit: holy shit, human traders have arrived with STRAY ELEPHANTS AND BREEDING PAIR OF GRIZZLY BEARS
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 03:12:26 pm by recon1o6 »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 109