Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 409710 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - from cowering to echidnas to training grizzlies
« Reply #1320 on: December 06, 2021, 02:11:30 am »

I'll chuck you in the queue, Bombyx - you're more than welcome. I'll try to update the OP in the next couple days.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: December 06, 2021, 05:18:26 am »

Welcome Bombyx! Smallhands earned its way into the hall of legends for proving you don't need size to produce greatness or to advance the cause of !!dwarven science!!
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: December 07, 2021, 11:23:32 pm »

Actually, Bombyx, if you'd like, you can take a turn now. Both fatcat and I are in the eternal "take the turn if no one else is in the queue" position.

I lost the file I was working on to back up the Smallhands thread in PDF format (I swear I uploaded it, but seem to have messed that up...) when I installed a new OS. I'm starting from scratch and - apparently, with a fully up to date Libreoffice, I can more-or-less just copy and paste the thread directly into a document.

This includes gifs - which surprised the heck out of me. I'll likely send it out in .doc and .odt format for that reason. I'd previously been writing somewhat sarcastic gif descriptions in character as Elpho - but maybe I'll do that if I feel like a pdf version is also necessary.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 11:41:10 pm by delphonso »

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: December 08, 2021, 02:24:22 am »

Thanks, I'll  probably get started in about 2 days, unless I decide to start sooner.
Don't expect anything too fancy, as I need to figure out how to post images and the like.

As for goals, I might try to set up an obsidian farm down near the magma sea for infinite stone. For the most part I'll probably just be getting used to a succession fortress.
I'll remember to look out for the gobbos  :)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: December 08, 2021, 02:37:57 am »

Good luck! If you quote another user's post, you can see all the BBCode they used, which can help to learn how to insert images and such.

[img ]http://[/img] is used for images, but be sure to link directly to the image's url (right click on most devices and "copy image link" or "view image")

Small hand for example:

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: December 08, 2021, 08:11:21 am »

This includes gifs - which surprised the heck out of me. I'll likely send it out in .doc and .odt format for that reason. I'd previously been writing somewhat sarcastic gif descriptions in character as Elpho - but maybe I'll do that if I feel like a pdf version is also necessary.

send me this! sounds awesome. I recall one of the most memorable experiences of my DF experience was reading through the boatmurdered .pdf, so I would love the same treatment put down for Smallhands.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: December 09, 2021, 11:54:58 pm »

If anyone else wants a sneak peek, let me know. 10 years are done. Already 38,000 words and 235 pages... We honestly made such a monstrosity.

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: December 10, 2021, 12:20:55 am »

1st of Granite, 181

Today I decided to run for the annual overseer election which we hold at the start of every year. While the legends of the fortress spoke of the glory that they would lead the fortress to if they were elected, of how they would raze Dimplesteal itself to the ground. I simply offered to smooth this hallway at the heart of the fortress in the interest of aesthetics.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I won by a landslide. I guess the dwarves of Smallhands care more about interior decoration than ridding the world of the goblin menace.
The first order of business was to set the record straight concerning my name. It appears that when I first migrated here several years ago they forgot to ask me my name. Thus, they simply took to calling me 'Urist'.

Much better.
A few moments later, I receive some news that makes me regret accepting this postion.

I immediately order the front gate closed and ready the militia. Smallhands will not fall to the servants of Ikud, especially not on the very first day of my overseership!

Unfortunately the Tall Bar stands empty, and thus we must resort to using the newly refurbished GooHive.

3rd of Granite, 181

I had stationed the Swamp Hunters on the battlements in the hopes that they could use the invading goblins as target practice. This proved to be a grave error, as  Urist the forlorn ghoul jumps off the battlements into the midst of the goblin horde.

He is able to fight them for a while, but is eventually overwhelmed by the sheer number of invading goblins.

Thus passes one of the few remaining undead citizens of Smallhands. He will surely be given an honoured place in the catacombs of the fortress.
He then immediately returns as a ghost and begins harassing the living.

Oh well, back to the siege.

4th of Granite, 181

Another dwarf gets too close to the goblin invaders. It seems that the alarm hasn't yet been sounded. I quickly rectify that, but alas too late for Fikod.

5th of Granite, 181

Slowly but surely the goblins head towards their doom.

6th of Granite, 181

Id, a legendary axedwarf, decides this is a good time to retrieve provisions from the surface. He ended up running into the attacking goblins inside the GooHive tunnel. I suppose there are worse places to fight. I order in reinforcements, and soon our dwarves are running down the tunnel, slaughtering all goblins that cross their path.

All in all, the invasion force looks far less intimidating than it did a few moments ago.

9th of Granite, 181

There were very few wounds. Id did take a fracture to his leg, athough it's nothing we can't fix.
Not wanting to be outdone by his comrades, another dwarf charges up to the surface alone to take on the remaining goblins. Unfortunately he falls afoul of a goblin arrow.

12th of Granite, 181

Two other dwarves went missing during the fighting, presumed dead.

20th of Granite, 181

To prevent any more loss of dwarven lives, I decide to play it safe and send the remaining swamp hunters to get some extra target practice, this time from a safer set of fortifications. And thus the siege was ended.

28th of Granite, 181

Well, that certainly wasn't how I had hoped my first month would turn out, with 5 dwarves dead. The goblins could not have picked their moment to strike better, attacking during the confusion that comes with the dawning of the year. We shall have to be careful in the future. For myself, I shall remain far more vigilant as we clean up the dead goblins littering the entrance.

-=-= OOC =-=-
That was certainly an interesting and !!fun!! event to happen on literally the first of Granite.
Thankfully we were able to defeat the goblins, although it is unfortunate that I will have to clean up their corpses by hand.
As for the casualties, most of them were fevered, and I don't think they were particularly skilled. Fikod didn't have many skills either. It's a shame about Urist, but he did go out in a pretty legendary way.
I might be able to try the resurrection chamber for some of them, but I'll probably just end up giving them a proper burial.

Let's hope I can avoid any more accidents for the rest of my turn :)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: December 10, 2021, 01:03:53 am »

If Urist is having thoughts out loud, he might be revivable the way Nogood was. I'm not sure, because I don't remember all the details with that, but I think so.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: December 10, 2021, 01:14:58 am »

I'm pretty sure Nogood was revivable because he only became a ghost due to a bug. Urist died outright on the map, and I don't think he still counts as being in the military.
Also I don't think we can reanimate his corpse again either, his upper body was cloven asunder.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: December 10, 2021, 01:25:56 am »

If you have the save, I can try to revive him just for science's sake - yeah, nogood "came back" while off map.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: December 10, 2021, 03:31:13 am »

LET THE CHRISTENING BEGIN, BLOOD FLOWS ON THE LIMESTONE FLOORS, BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!

Our military is small but OP

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: December 10, 2021, 05:49:13 am »

That was an intense first day.
Never had I seen a speaking ghost before... But that's SmallHands we are speaking of, so it doesn't shock me anymore...
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: December 10, 2021, 08:26:02 am »

haha, that was a great start to the year, massacring a siege of goblins. Good to see the training efforts of the smallhands military is paying off...dodging through battlements aside. We might need to add another layer to stop that.

Fikod might be the only important loss since we are lacking in metalworkers constantly when its not my turn.

We're really gonna need to find some of that heat resistant wood at some point to stop having to repair the tall bar every time we need to refill it.
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: December 11, 2021, 04:17:07 am »

Why do you need fire safe wood ?
Unless its for a wooden axle (which should never be in contact woth magma btw  !), I think you can make anything out of green glass for machinery, right ?
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 109