Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 409476 times)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!
« Reply #1590 on: September 19, 2022, 01:32:04 am »

I'm looking forward to your turn, however long it takes. Interesting things always happen when you are in charge.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: September 19, 2022, 08:07:57 am »

Just thought to pop in and say that I absolutely love this fort!

Finally read it all through (just read bits and pieces from here and there before) and enjoyed every moment.

Are dorfings still accepted? If so, I'd like to be dorfed as the least intelligent dwarf around.

Also, if latecomers are accepted as overseers, I'd like to sign up for a turn.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: September 19, 2022, 10:56:40 am »

dorfings are indeed still accepted. The stupidest dwarf in the fort...whistles are we counting those that are losing their brains to the fever? apparently side effects include the brain melting
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: September 21, 2022, 07:48:31 am »

I think that puts you after recon, bob. She's a beauty of a fort, that's for sure.

Love that it's hard to find the dumbest dwarf - pretty sure at least one of the overseer dorfs didn't have a brain.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: September 21, 2022, 11:13:39 am »

I'll gladly be a brainless overseer once it's my turn. Won't be too difficult to RP one.  8)

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: September 22, 2022, 07:31:02 am »

I think that puts you after recon, bob.

Last I heard, I was next on the chopping block. I'm perfectly willing to let bob go go between me and recon, though— more space between me and whatever's going on now :P

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: September 22, 2022, 08:03:31 am »

Ah my mistake, that's what I get for not updating the main page...

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: November 02, 2022, 03:04:51 am »

huge apologies folks, rl decided to deck me with the twin pains of exams and extended work hours

the good news is, the former is at an end next week so I can finally get on and finish this.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: November 02, 2022, 08:21:58 pm »

nice, looking forward to it
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: November 07, 2022, 11:26:18 pm »

Good luck recon. I've been dead busy the last few days. It'd be good to get an update or two on this before the Steam release!

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: November 24, 2022, 04:46:48 pm »

after a few weeks of dithering, getting used to dwarf fortress again, designing a dungeon in dnd by making a fort and digging too deep then recording the result and testing some methods of getting the magma flows working again I thought I'd post an update

We have a Tame War snail. Im not sure how you train a snail for war but thats par for the course at this point
There are 25 war bears, some gelded. There are also 24 cubs. Weirdly the bears almost to a...bear are all peach coloured.

Stones and seeds and most importantly, prepared meals are the big drains on fps at the present.
Ammunition is another big one. We have almost 4000 silver bolts. I know we've had werecreatures but that seems excessive.
Unprepared food is also incredibly high. I'm talking 1000+ plump helmets, longland grass, quarry bushes etc, also pig tails

Our population is sitting at 35 (36 counting the babbling corpse empress) while that's hardly low for this fort's standards, about half the fort has some kind of long term injury. only 8 are in the military which as proven on numerous occasions, is insufficient in this fortress if we don't have magma. Nobody has any knowledge on weaponsmithing since Recon's death.

The tall bar requires serious repairs again. At some point I'm going to look into making it a little less...flammable if possible. Someone also knocked down the stone barrier protecting the staircase from goblin access and consequently teh bar became a security weakspot.

I hope the fort likes hauling, there's a lot of it that needs to be done

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: November 25, 2022, 04:24:45 am »

Glad to see this fort continuing, and from the sound of things everything is going as well as it usually is.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: November 25, 2022, 01:06:50 pm »

I'm surprised it's still going at all after almost 40 years of clashing overseers on such a tiny map.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: December 04, 2022, 07:20:39 am »

After having several of the bear cubs turned into stuffed toys, I'm pleased to say fps is slightly better. I then spent 30m just analysing the tall bar.

It genuinely looks like its been sabotaged at some point. A tunnel was made into the magma pump assembly, and then a second to allow the water to flow into the pipe when the first didnt work due to how I set up the pump stack.
The windmills have been destroyed, a staircase removed and the "hand" on the mug that housed the machinery has had parts of the floor dismantled. Obsidian has been made in the storage basin, the pipe and the bottom pump stack. Not to mention all the debris preventing fixing.
floodgates are missing from the outer walls, the access door behind the bar has been turned into a wall. The ground level staircase has been revealed to invaders.

Oh and to top it all off, it looks like a goblin got eviscerated in the tall bar's drinking room and nobody's cleaned it up.

We need the Tall bar operational to fend off sieges. I'm still in delphonso's turn atm so I'm spending it on fort maintainence and preparing the ground work for the Tall bar's repairs, then when Recon returns at last, have all the grandiose stuff done.

I am still planning on my grand entrance hall of smallhands. It wouldn't be one of my turns without some obscenely oversized, overdetailed monument of some kind.
Look forward to another update in about 12 hours give or take

Edit: definately sabotage. someone boarded up the magma pump at the top to prevent it filling
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 11:00:10 am by recon1o6 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: December 04, 2022, 01:10:13 pm »

After having several of the bear cubs turned into stuffed toys, I'm pleased to say fps is slightly better. I then spent 30m just analysing the tall bar.

Edit: definately sabotage. someone boarded up the magma pump at the top to prevent it filling

sabotage by . . who ? ?

never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

note: not calling anyone stupid, just think it's a relevant in such a chaotic, painful fort as Smallhands.

. . .

I have this theory, that there is like a large village or something right next to Smallhands, so every time we flood the map with lava, a little bit trickles over onto their farms or something, and they become rightly pissed off at our "Dwarven Ingenuity" aka "Pumping Magma where it does not belong" aka "FUCK EVERYONE 'CEPT OURSELVES"

So, basically, we have some NIMBY's complaining about our choice of self-defense. And they sent spies to board up the tall bar. Not elves because they would never waste the wood like that . . . goblins? traitorous dwarves? or the plain-clothed humans that lord over us with their long legs?
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109