Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402631 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers wanted!)
« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2020, 10:40:33 pm »

Glad to see the fort is still holding together. Looks like our warriors are now both legendary. Once they get fully armoured they'll be unstoppable. The ghouls should be immune to any FB syndromes, so Enthep might be able to handle the poison gas one if you shove her down there.

Speaking of Enthep, I've been looking more into her history. Oma Empiresbright, her former lover, is quite a character in his own right.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2020, 10:50:06 pm »

As for other things, once we get a decent militia going and are reconnected to the surface, I recommend sending out the squad to destroy Cactushexes because A: it is a goblin fortress that was somehow founded separately from all the other civilizations and that confuses me B: It seems to serve as a harvesting ground for necromancers, and C: The war to destroy it has been going for almost 100 years, and has killed more than every other war combined.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2020, 11:03:34 pm »

I'd rather keep Cactushexes going since it's drawing heat from us. My priority would be to destroy this tower...

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2020, 11:12:42 pm »

Try to capture one of the necromancers first! I don't think they wrote any life and death books.

Also, I got into the habit of drawing everyday during my turn. I wouldn't mind keeping that up, so if you have something you want illustrated (portraits, monsters, artifacts, etc.), just ask and I'll see what I can do.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2020, 11:23:11 pm »

Awesome. I spent an hour naming stuff, testing levers, and setting all graves to allow burials. I'll be sure to send any interesting imagery your way.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2020, 11:29:04 pm »

I'd rather keep Cactushexes going since it's drawing heat from us. My priority would be to destroy this tower...
Looking at world history, it seems it is actually the opposite: we're drawing heat from Cactushexes. The necromancer group is focusing their attacks on us, the rest of our dwarven civilization is holding off attacks from the goblin civilization, and the Humans have ended up at war with the Elves. All of this combined means nobody has attacked Cactushexes since 149.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2020, 11:43:18 pm »

You're right. Weirdly, the civ screen shows we're at peace with the tower. I almost always pick a fight with them first in my games, so that might be normal.

We'll see what happens. I'm aiming at safe growth and building defenses. I'm also going to dorf everyone who wasn't - which none of us did and didn't matter since everyone would have died by now anyway. Interested in a Laterigrade II, and Auze2?
Superdorf and King Zultan, I'm chucking some dorfing to you two.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:55:35 pm by delphonso »

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2020, 11:49:09 pm »

I spent an hour naming stuff, testing levers, and setting all graves to allow burials.
Great to see that maintenance continues!

I worry a bit about using missions due to http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10426 http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10545 http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10891 (and this bug reports have saves already anyway)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2020, 12:02:37 am »

Most of those shouldn't be a problem for us. Pocket size worlds seem to help a lot with raid bugs. But there are still plenty. In my own game, I had two dwarves who returned with the squad but had very weird menu issues. End result being they couldn't train or be removed from the military, wouldn't reset after raids, and couldn't be replaced in the military until they were captured in a raid.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2020, 01:30:07 am »

Wow, fast turn mko. Nice work on security and hauling, those things are super important when community fortress start to age. I feel for you since you spent most of your turn picking up bodies. That makes two years of large-scale corpse cleanup - holy cow!

Looking at world history, it seems it is actually the opposite: we're drawing heat from Cactushexes. The necromancer group is focusing their attacks on us, the rest of our dwarven civilization is holding off attacks from the goblin civilization, and the Humans have ended up at war with the Elves. All of this combined means nobody has attacked Cactushexes since 149.

Interesting. So our fort is working! We're drawing heat from those poor folks, as intended by the queen. I remember thinking my original writeup about Cactushexes was too morbid and over the top. Of course, that was before the necros broke in!

Is it very difficult to destroy towers? What's our military look like, equipment and skills and such?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2020, 01:51:09 am »

+Journal of the Gravekeeper+
Cilob “Phonso” Armorcleaned – Beekeeper Gravekeeper

I arrived in Smallhands in 155. You know, back in Staffhoisted it has a good reputation. Small, quiet, peaceful. When the other migrants and I arrived, I understood why. It looked like a battlefield. Animals, men, elves, dwarves – there were hundreds dead on the surface. No one had made it back, and dwarven ignorance had assumed the best. A square grey box stood out above the corpses – Smallhands – four beehives sticking out the top. Someone poked their head out of a hole in the ground and waved us in.

The inside was a maze of corridors, rooms, and locked doors. Sigun introduced himself as manager and began showing us around. He pointed to several doors and said that there were undead behind them. Then pointed to others and said those were safe. I admit...I lost track over time. Our tour continued. Sigun's office was next to one of those doors – the bad kind – and regularly the scraping of bones could be heard from the other side. Sigun was clearly disturbed, but his office was here, and there wasn't a better place for it, apparently. We all walked through someones bedroom and into a hallway to the other bedrooms. "A workaround, you see," Sigun explained, "undead have claimed the original hallway so we had to make a path for the rest of us to get to our rooms. Mateusz doesn't mind, but please be quiet if he's sleeping when you pass through his room."

I made mention of the beehives. You see, I'm a beekeeper by trade. I saw the four of them on the roof. I'd be happy to tend them. Sigun merely laughed. “Outside?” he said, “You won't be going out there any time soon.” Then he started dolling out tasks to all of us. I was...less than enthused about mine.

Cilob the Gravedigger, they call me. They're not very good at nicknames here. Without any skills of “value”, they've tasked me with managing the dead. I was insulted at the insinuation that beekeeping wasn't a task of value. But when I looked to the graves, of which Smallhands has plenty, I realized they really did need someone to help with this. I don't mind it, though. I get to work alone, in quiet. And at least these dead are still dead. Wouldn't want to even think about them getting up...

Salmeuk wandered the halls – clothes rotting off of him. He'd been here the whole time. Years at this point. I can't really imagine what he's seen. He seemed happy enough. Perhaps The Helpful Saint has really blessed this place. For now, I'll just tend to the dead and pray.

-=~-=-~=-

+Granite – Journal of the Gravekeeper+

I had a strange dream. The first overseer came to me – Del. He showed me a giant sperm whale – it was undead and thrashing around. Then he showed me an ant colored to look like a bee, the ant was striking down the undead giant sperm whale. The ant was laughing. He handed me a small document, but I couldn't read it – the writing was too small.

When I woke up, Sigun informed me that I'd been voted to be overseer. Sigun chuckled as he walked away - presumably to his hellhole of an office. Was it some sort of joke? Or did they give me total power guessing I wouldn't do anything with it? Had they figured out that all the dead had been buried and that I'd just been pretending to work for the last month?

Well.

First things first. I'm going to go tend those fucking bees.

-=~-=-~=-

OOC:
I'm going to tone down some of your orders, mko - they're good, but I think ten extra beds/crutches/wheelbarrows is overkill on the wood supply. Thanks for setting these, up, though - I usually never play with them. I'm also limiting the number of wheelbarrows on the stone and wood stockpiles (that I can find...) to 1 each to free up some labor.

Stress levels are impeccable here. What the hell? Everyone is in the negatives (good) except Sigun - and that's because his wife haunted him or something. WHY ARE THEY SO HAPPY HERE?

Military is...tiny. Two melee and a ranger - the ranger hasn't trained, so he's rusty, and isn't very useful so I might just put him in the melee. Several dwarves are a bit bored without fighting, but are also weak/flimsy/clumsy... I'll set up some sparring time or something for those who want melee practice (one month a year or so.) Moldath and Nogood are both legendary, though. They could train up a squad each pretty quickly, I think - should our numbers provide for it.

Equipment...we have some bronze lying around - about 50 bars. Lots of Cassiterite around, but not much tetrahedrite left exposed... No iron to speak of, nor coal, but we do have limestone. Steel will be tough, but bronze outfits are certainly possible now that mko has hit magma. I'll request iron and coal stones from the liaison. That assumes they make it this time and next time, though...
Ast has a crossbow, quiver, no bolts, and a bronze helm.
Nogood has a bronze axe, mail shirt, helm, and wooden shield.
Moldath has bronze mail shirt, iron shield and leggings, steel helm and sword. The sword used to be Nish's and has 5 kills.
Definitely lacking.

EDIT: Found a weapon bin - we have some bronze swords and a silver hammer. We are rich in silver, and are in need of mangling - so I might prioritize this. We have a lot of bolts, but I think those are surface bolts that aren't worth retrieving... If we can reclaim the surface, there's a lot up there we could melt and use. A ton of stuff is forbidden in different places... Probably from the many different emergencies. I'm going to look around and unforbid a bunch of stuff.

mko seems to have made the living arrangements good enough to keep everyone happy and has set up wood and reached magma. I'm going to do a little building, defense, and hopefully make some equipment for everyone. I'll look into magma pumping - I've never done it before...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:00:07 am by delphonso »

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2020, 03:56:28 am »

I really like your storytelling.

giant sperm whale – it was undead and thrashing around.
Wait, how whales appeared in the story? Is their first appearance on the magnificent image? Thread search is not finding anything.

First things first. I'm going to go tend those fucking bees.

Welp.

I'm going to tone down some of your orders, mko - they're good, but I think ten extra beds/crutches/wheelbarrows is overkill on the wood supply.
Good idea given state of our wood supply.

I'm also limiting the number of wheelbarrows on the stone and wood stockpiles (that I can find...) to 1 each to free up some labor.
Is it going to free labor? I thought that it results in dwarves carrying stones by hand and therefore turning into snails.

Stress levels are impeccable here. What the hell? Everyone is in the negatives (good) except Sigun - and that's because his wife haunted him or something. WHY ARE THEY SO HAPPY HERE? (...) mko seems to have made the living arrangements good enough to keep everyone happy
There was one stressed dwarf. His mood improved during my year. No idea why.

And sole deliberate happiness boosting was to make library and assign two dwarves there. I did nothing else to improve mood.

We have a lot of bolts, but I think those are surface bolts that aren't worth retrieving...
We should have some bone bolts, some skeletons were processed to reduce impact of potential necromancers.

I'll look into magma pumping - I've never done it before...
I also never did this, but the obvious tricky part may be making magma-safe parts of pumps, especially corkscrews. Do we have nickel? Or nether-caps? Because all other materials are unlikely to be available. Pipes and blocks are less problematic.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2020, 04:34:04 am »

Wait, how whales appeared in the story? Is their first appearance on the magnificent image? Thread search is not finding anything.
I designed the fort symbol - which is the largest animal being defeated by the smallest animal (giant sperm whale + ant-though most insects are the same size). nogoodnames also noticed, and included it in the banner of the Smallhands side view.

I'm also limiting the number of wheelbarrows on the stone and wood stockpiles (that I can find...) to 1 each to free up some labor.
Is it going to free labor? I thought that it results in dwarves carrying stones by hand and therefore turning into snails.
So wheelbarrows max at 3 - which limits 3 hauling tasks per stockpile. Which is usually good, but with 3 stone stockpiles and each limited at 3, then that's 9 jobs for hauling and over half our dwarves. I set them all to 1 wheelbarrow - so there's much less hauling jobs. It's slower, technically, than just letting everyone rush out and gather, but I want them to work on other stuff. And I'd rather that than turning hauling off on everyone. Wood, also, is about as fast with a wheelbarrow as without one, so it doesn't do much except limit the number of haulers.

I also never did this, but the obvious tricky part may be making magma-safe parts of pumps, especially corkscrews. Do we have nickel? Or nether-caps? Because all other materials are unlikely to be available. Pipes and blocks are less problematic.
Glass is also an option, I think. I might set the groundwork for this and make some glass screws and leave the rest to whoever is willing to attempt the task. I'm not confident in my ability to not flood the fort with magma...

Nothing to report so far. I've maybe run the game for 2 in-game days. I've just been cleaning things up, double checking settings, setting orders and making notes clearer. Dorfed Imic, Quarque, Superdorf, and King Zultan - not sure if anyone who isn't an overseer is even reading.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2020, 05:09:37 am »

Fire is (according to bug report notes) one of few things that will destroy bugged zombie echidnas.

BTW, Laterigrade's labyrinth was unbelievably confusing. Big part seemed to be a dead end without entrance from outside.
Are you talking about my labyrinth in the fort from the main staircase, or the labyrinth I constructed leading to the surface?

Also thanks for the updates mko and delphonso! I think the main reason the dwarves are so happy is because they haven’t been in the rain for years :D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 05:11:39 am by Laterigrade »
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2020, 05:33:58 am »

Interesting. So our fort is working! We're drawing heat from those poor folks, as intended by the queen. I remember thinking my original writeup about Cactushexes was too morbid and over the top. Of course, that was before the necros broke in!
Cactushexes is an independent fortress founded by and made up of Goblins that our civ is at war with, I doubt we want to draw heat from them.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 109