Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 412192 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers wanted!)
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2020, 10:03:28 pm »

I also vote cheat. The military is populated but still under-trained.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2020, 10:30:24 pm »

If it weren't for those ghouls, I'd say we could take them easily. But between Moldath being equipped with a weapon he's not trained in and my dwarf being too slow to stay with the group, we'd probably suffer some pretty severe losses among the recruits. Let's see what the Goo Hive can do.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2020, 06:44:03 am »

We shall defeat them with the power of TRAPS!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 06, 2020, 04:50:53 pm »

The Goo Labyrinth thirsts, feed it!
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2020, 07:47:11 pm »

Squish ‘em! Then kill the survivors at the end of the Labyrinth.

Also I’d like to officially sign on for a second turn.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 07, 2020, 11:16:56 am »

Siege Diary of Salmeuk

The vote was unanimous; the goblins would be routed through the Goo Hive. And smashed. Obliterated. Disappeared. And so on and so forth until there was nothing left but, well, goo.

By the time we opened the hive, the undisciplined attackers had scattered across the surface. Our first contestant was Limul, the first to discover the claustrophobic tunnel that was the entrance to the hive. "These dwarves and their strange ways," he thought, "always digging here and there for no good reason. Look here, an undefended tunnel leading directly into their fortress, no doubt dug and subsequently forgotten in a drunken haze."

As he strolled through the maze, our dwarves were readying the levers. And as he approached the first smasher, our dwarves were still readying the levers. And as he walked into, underneath, and past the first wave of bridges, our dwarves had forgotten about the levers and were busy "with other things, man, I don't want to do that right now, come on give me a break."

Luckily, a second wave of smashers was present, surely we couldn't fail a second time. . . ? Our dwarf smartly threw the lever down and stunned the goblin on the upswing. Limul came to his senses, horrified. "I've been a fool, haven't I? This is one of those dwarven death traps that my mom
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
used to scare us with when we wandered too far. Let's get out of here!"

And so Limul ran back the way he came, totally unsmashed, though there was a close call or two.

And our dwarves ate, drank, cleaned, hauled wood, forged bronze, did literally. everything. except pull the goddamn lever. And when they did, they left - off to some other very much optional task.

I would have pulled the lever myself, but I was busy in a very important meeting. You know how these things go. Also, I got hungry and just had to stop by the kitchens. And, well. . .

====================

Meanwhile, at the surface, the goblins seemed to have run into an old friend of ours: the incurable swamp fever, induced by the vile goo that fell from the sky. They also seemed content hunting Giant Red-Winged Blackbirds and weren't moving towards the hive at all. Great.

It was two days of lockdown before we gave up. Fine, if you won't come to us, we'll just have to sit here and wait. Most of our citizens were ok with this. "See, Salmeuk, you always make such a big deal out of these things! It's just a few gobbos, and they aren't even bothering to attack us since the maze is so long."

Uh huh.

=========
OOC: So I played around a bit after make a backup and something about the Goo Hive is seriously breaking the A.I., of both the gobbos and the dwarves. The gobbos will not attack (Limul notwithstanding, not sure what happened there) even if I shorten the maze or station military right at the entrance. When I order squads to attack, they do not comply, but when I give them a move order they are happy to run up the ramps and

So I'm just gonna play it safe, maybe try to open up the old trapped hallways from a while back. You know, the ones where a dwarf fought an undead echidna skeleton for like a whole year.

Also, our fortress is so efficiently run that no one is ever idle. Or maybe we have too much work. I dunno, look at this:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:09:18 am by Salmeuk »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 08, 2020, 11:43:05 am »

I wonder if the goblins are having the same issue I had with the zombies, where they never pathed down into the fortress. That will be annoying to deal with.

Since we're dealing with armoured and fleshy enemies, I think Moldath should get his sword back. As it's the only steel weapon we have, it's the only thing that will be able to reliably behead an armoured ghoul. Hammers are good for dealing with freshly raised corpses, but its pretty hard to fully pulp things through armour. Easier to dismember them if they're not supported by necromancers.

Also...
Spoiler: Snarling Famine (click to show/hide)
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 10, 2020, 04:18:38 am »

Nicely rendered!

I've taken my time and lumped the final seasons into a single post, which I will finish up tomorrow evening. Dwarves died! That's always fun! No one important, however.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 10, 2020, 04:29:41 am »

That is very nicely rendered, nogood!

And I’m looking forward to it, Salmeuk!
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 10, 2020, 04:47:01 am »

Very cool nogoodnames.

Hmm... Shame about the hive. When testing, did cutting some holes in the walls make it work? The entire left side could be ignored for a single squasher row.

Moldath's sword is in the library museum, always available. That's not a bad point, actually, zombies can be dealt with but it's really the special undead we should he worried about...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 10, 2020, 10:39:53 pm »

Diary of Salmeuk, Summer, Autumn, and Winter of year 157

And then, some of them left. The ghoul left. And we attacked, by positioning our squad just below the surface, lying in wait, while a lone 'volunteer' dashed out to make noise and draw the elves and goblins closer. When the time was right, we sallyed forth and slaughtered the remaining invaders. We only lost two of the newest recruits, and the dwarf who served as bait.

We also just happened to catch Limul, the adventurous goblin who braved the Goo Hive and lived to tell the tale. A plucky little fellow indeed!

With the siege temporarily lifted, we set about building a kind of battle arena on the surface. An enclosed structure, with terrain designed to favor our troops. Traps would litter the floor. But it would take time to build, and we were vulnerable during the entire process.

Buqui, the forgotten beast crocodile, fights a newcomer, in the first cavern, which has become some kind of forgotten beast colliseum. Nunui, a towering nematode that blasted flame, arrived and the two engaged at the dwarven-carved tunnel that bridged the gap between the east and west sides of the cavern. The fight was quick, and while Buqui's fat and skin melted and sloughed away in the inferno, it managed to crunch the brain of the nematode and emerge victorious. Buqui reigns triumphant and skinless.

Meanwhile, a plan was suggested by our smiths. Lava could be held in an iron container for a fair amount of time. However, this contained was always too hot to lift or move. But if we put that first container into a second container, also lava proof, the magma could be hauled large distances. Up to the surface, even.

It would require investing our remaining iron resources, but the payoff would be great. All these stray bolts we've recovered, and the armor too large for us dwarves, could be easily melted down into even more iron. An investment indeed!

As if they waited until they were most needed, the mountainhome caravan arrived today. We traded worn clothing and soft-metal weapons for raw iron ores, food, livestock, weapons, wood, you name it. Our stocks are somewhat deprived of variety and this trade was a huge relief.

However, we quickly ran low on trade goods, and the caravan had plenty more in the way of weapons and food. My mind jumped to the room full of captured skeletons. "Why not?" I thought. "Maybe we'll get a price on them. Or at least, raise a few eyebrows."

Sure enough, the caravan master had a few questions about the specimens. "A local species of cat, you say? With "translucent skin, organs,  and veins"? Why are the jawbones stained red, then?"

Eventually, they agreed to a much higher price than I expected. About 3200 dwarfbucks worth, enough for a couple more steel weapons. Of course, the real cost could be found in our crypt, as more than half of these traded skeletons carried titles.

Many migrants arrived. Half were drafted, the rest assigned to engraving and hauling. One individual stood out as extremely well-learned - a high-master siege engineer.

Such a dwarf was trained to craft delicately balanced wooden mechanisms that could launch massive steel-tipped bolts, tearing foes in half. We should ask him to make us one of those things.

We were petitioned to build a temple for The Righteous Doctrines, a religious sect that worships The Helpful saint, whose sphere is that of everything kind and friendly. Our existing temple to The Helpful Sain is kind of shabby, only worth 700, and includes a statue of The Saint that I myself carved before the cataclysm.

An update is required before we can hire the priest. I'll leave that to the next overseer.

As the year came to a close, we finished the new magma smelters. Five of them, to be exact, found 76 z-levels higher than our previous forges. This should let our smiths spend less time walking back and forth needlessly.

We also finished the topside battle arena, take a look:

And there you have it, another year has passed and I don't feel much wiser but I certainly feel safer. The next overseer will have a few tasks to complete:

1. Finish organizing the new magma forges however you see fit. There is a simple ore and bar stockpile right now.

2. Recreate most of the stockpiles in the fortress because, um, I was having trouble getting the minecarts up to the surface and had to get rid of everything. It's not so bad because we really don't have a stockpile room or anything, so perhaps it's for the best.

3. Upgrade our temple of The Helpful Saint and assign a priest.

4. Keep an eye on the horizon. We need to shut the gate as soon as trouble arrives!

The rest is up to you, my friends!

Save here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15007

----
OOC tips:

f5 will take you to the new forges. The zoom keys are kinda all over the place, could use an organization.
Food is OK, but not great.
Military equip is OK, but not great. The new forges will help with that. We have enough iron to make steel now, with the limestone and wood from the caravan.
We have no trade goods.
Defense is A++, but make sure you test the levers. They are labeled accordingly, with the front gate lever in the dining room, and the new arena gate lever in the topside bunker, near the trade depot. The controls for the goo hive are in a small room to the south of the dining room, and there are misc. levers all over the place.

Less narrative was OK this time but I have more fun when I'm writing in character. Sadly, this magma thing was a real PITA so I just finished that, for the sake of future overseers.

Thanks for reading!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 10, 2020, 10:58:50 pm »

Dammit sal, I JUST updated the front page.

Cool battle arena! Hope those traps don't kill our dwarves too often. Also I appreciate the choice of building it facing the usual invasion direction.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:06:16 pm by delphonso »

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 11, 2020, 05:09:45 am »

Thanks for the update! What was the a bait brave dwarf?

I hope that at least food stockpiles survived.

I JUST updated the front page.
On this topic: who is the next overseer?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=175473.msg8118085#msg8118085 - auzewasright 2nd April
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=175473.msg8118190#msg8118190 - mko 3rd April
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=175473.msg8120530#msg8120530 - Laterigrade 6th April

Anyone misssed?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:29:26 am by mko »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 11, 2020, 05:24:35 am »

That's a good question. I assumed we'd follow the same order, but if people want to shake it up a bit, that's fine with me. Thoughts?

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 11, 2020, 05:30:28 am »

That's a good question. I assumed we'd follow the same order, but if people want to shake it up a bit, that's fine with me. Thoughts?

I am 100% fine with that order, I just want "Overseers:" section in the first post to be updated.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 109