Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 411879 times)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #480 on: July 21, 2020, 09:09:59 am »

I will look into this when I get the save. I have experimented with a few shall we say !!Fun!! syndromes in a personal game since 47 added more tokens to mess with. I haven't come across any syndromes yet that can't be cured through time and no exposure outside of vampirism/therianthropy. It sucks dwarves have terrible recuperation and disease resistance on average :/

a previous succession fort I was in took one dwarf 4 years before ONE disease was recovered from. The poor dwarf had 2 diseases
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 21, 2020, 09:17:27 am »

The fever has some amount of time before it takes effect, I believe. But when I opened up the aquifer as a place to rinse off, it didn't stop everyone from still getting the fever. That was the starting 7 - only one (Rovod, maybe?) avoided it by never touching it.

Could be rain causes it instantly, walking through it takes time and is preventable with a rinse.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 21, 2020, 09:22:29 am »

Lets hope it is preventable with a rinse. Last I heard the fortress was filthy because one dwarf decided to go clean a random corner of the fort
plus dwarves are notorious for not having baths even when available

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 21, 2020, 09:36:55 am »

I will look into this when I get the save. I have experimented with a few shall we say !!Fun!! syndromes in a personal game since 47 added more tokens to mess with. I haven't come across any syndromes yet that can't be cured through time and no exposure outside of vampirism/therianthropy.
Salmeuk's had it since the very beginning and he's described as "incredibly quick to heal and rarely sick." So if there is an end to the fever, it's more than 12 years out. Most of the current infections are from just over a year ago as a result of constructing Spriggan's tower in the middle of the swamp. Even if Salmeuk's fever clears up now, it's going to be a long time before any of them get over it.

The inside of the fort is clean, but that doesn't help the infected at all. Like others have said, the only cure seems to be death. Of course, forlorn ghouls are immune to it...
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 21, 2020, 02:03:50 pm »

So I decided to look at the syndrome with DFhack...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 21, 2020, 03:25:54 pm »

Urist McRecon has slipped into depression!

That sucks. In addition breeding for larger dwarves...kinda doesn't work because genetics don't work very well. Plus larger dwarves goes against the nature of smallhands! not large hands!

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 21, 2020, 03:43:30 pm »

Urist McRecon has slipped into depression!

That sucks. In addition breeding for larger dwarves...kinda doesn't work because genetics don't work very well. Plus larger dwarves goes against the nature of smallhands! not large hands!
Yeah, it wasn't a serious suggestion
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 22, 2020, 03:54:31 am »

So your saying we need to replace the dwarves with humans?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 22, 2020, 11:28:12 am »

So your saying we need to replace the dwarves with humans?
Dragons! Central heating 4 lyfe etc.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 22, 2020, 09:41:59 pm »

So we have a bit of a problem here. With a couple days left until Spring, Auze murdered someone and I think we have a loyalty cascade going on in the background right now.

The fight started with him throwing a mug, so it bypassed the usual tantrum fistfight rules and went straight to lethal combat.

DFHack's fix/loyaltycascade command doesn't detect anything, but the dwarves are constantly getting interrupted by each other and complaining about being in combat.

I have a backup save from the start of winter. We can go back to that if necessary. Opinions?
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 22, 2020, 09:46:00 pm »

I'd say ride it out. You can post this save and I can just let the combat run to see what happens. If it ends with total annihilation, reverting or just DFHack removing the problem dwarves might be a better solution...

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 22, 2020, 09:50:34 pm »

They're not actually fighting right now, just scaring each other. We can also retire and unretire which is supposed to fix loyalties.
                        - Random human lord

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 22, 2020, 10:32:44 pm »

===+ Journal of the Undying Overseer – Autumn 162 +===

1st Moonstone

A frigid wind sweeping in through the keep’s skylight signals the beginning of winter. Things are slowing down for the season. Now is the time for reflection and preparation for the next year.

Rising stress levels continue to be a serious problem and the dwarf who decided to drag a dead cave ogre from the bottommost cavern up through the entire fortress to put it in our refuse pile certainly didn't help. I’ve put a stop to that, but the damage is done. Auze is still the worst off, but Sigun and Dastot the miller are both doing badly as well. Those two now both have chronic breathing problems from lung injuries. They periodically go into fits of despair over that and I don’t know if there’s anything to be done for them.

At this point, it seems like the best thing we can do is to separate them from the general populace and make them as comfortable as possible. To that end, I’ve ordered some new rooms to be dug out where they can live in isolation.

11th Moonstone

Sigun threw a tantrum, gave Iteb, one of our miners, a light bruise, then got winded and crawled away. Worrying, if hilariously ineffectual. Let’s get the asylum up and running soon.

8th Opal

Sigun attacked Iteb again, this time with some more serious results. What did he ever do to you, Sigun? Well the asylum is almost done and soon we’ll be able to lock these lunatics away and forget all about them get them the care they need.

13th Opal

There was a loud crash from the construction area. We rushed in and found Nomal and baby Dakost at the bottom of the drain to the asylum’s waterfall, covered in rock dust.

They were both fine, but a little shaken. She’s got to be more careful with that kid. He already got swept down the drain once a few days ago. Might be a good idea to avoid sending her into active combat until he’s grown a bit.

21st Opal

The next set of giant blackbirds have hatched, bringing the total up to eight. The parents are mostly still wild, but the hatchlings should grow up to be fully tame.

28th Opal

The asylum has been opened to accept its new patients. It’s a bit sparsely decorated right now but should have everything they need to relax and destress.

All visitors are allowed for now, as long as everyone behaves.

6th Obsidian

A round of beak dog pups have hatched, and there are a lot of them.

Sadly, most of them will need to be culled, but the rest should provide all the meat and eggs we need.

26th Obsidian

I should have known allowing visitors to the asylum would be a bad idea. Auze attacked Sodel, a decently skilled weaponsmith. Something prompted Auze to throw his mug at Sodel, and then he pounced. They’re both on the ground but still fighting more ferociously than any other brawl I’ve seen. Auze seems intent on murder, and Sodel is doing whatever he can to fight back!

Sodel’s just biting at whatever exposed body part he can now. He can’t seem to move the rest of his body, but Auze still isn’t letting up! I don’t like his chances…

27th Obsidian

Sodel is dead. KingZultan was so horrified that she almost let the murderous bastard get away. He’s in custody now though, getting dragged down for interrogation. Mere days left in my term and I get hit with this nightmare.

1st Granite

These past few days have been nearly as trying as the entire previous year. News of the murder has rippled through the fort and caused mass panic, mistrust and chaos. Once friendly faces now cringe in terror at my approach. I barely even noticed when Rakust barricaded himself in a jewler’s shop.

There’s a tension here that hangs on Smallhands almost as thick as it did in the bad years. Except now I don’t have the luxury of being an unfeeling ghoul.

Unfortunately, I can no longer attempt to fix this as overseer, even if I felt up to the task. The rules are clear in this matter, and I have already overstayed the normal term limits. I wish luck to my successor. You will need to restore the fragile civility we had here.

I leave the judgement of Auze’s crimes to you as well.

And of course, the decision

…of what to do

…with the body.

===================================================================================

SAVE
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 11:34:44 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 22, 2020, 10:50:48 pm »

Good luck, Recon!
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 22, 2020, 11:05:21 pm »

Chriiiiist...

Well, we've made it through worse. God speed, recon.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 11:07:06 pm by delphonso »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 109