Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 412703 times)

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #945 on: March 09, 2021, 12:09:12 pm »

Finally remembered to update the front page... Radiofort, you're on the list!

auze, how's the schoolwork treating you?
I kinda intended for that message to be a go-ahead for Spriggans to start his turn, and I've been mostly offline to focus since. However, most of my schoolwork is now behind me, so here's a quick introductory update:
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 09, 2021, 12:14:51 pm »

Ascension of Auze

The crowd read out who was to be their new overseer first with apprehension, and then confusion.
auze... huh, guess that makes sense, sort of.

Auze was a choice that simultaneously made sense and yet was a bit of a weird choice. The dwarf himself was a bit of an Enigma. Of the major dwarves, he was without a doubt the one with the most militaristic previous rule, but simultaneously the one who was perhaps the least xenophobic against elves. He had ruled capably back in 158, but that was about 15 years ago and in between auze had suffered a mental breakdown, gotten nearly-executed for murder, and drank so much the dwarves considered him an alcoholic.

...And that's without going into the mental changes he had experienced as a result.
Spoiler: mental issues (click to show/hide)
I didn't even know it was possible to get alcoholism above "needs to get through the working day".

Auze doesn't really have any family or friends, so I'm not sure if those parts matter.

In any case, if there was one thing auze could do, it was business. With his sharp memory and wit, auze could use the resources of Smallhands to achieve something great. With his military experience, he could do even greater.

The only question is: would he?

Radiofort

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 09, 2021, 09:00:36 pm »

Wow, that years was weathering for your dorf indeed. What a complex personality.

By the way, AFAIK, "really wants a drink" means not improved alcoholism but lack of booze in a fortress. Looks like this will be a first problem for him to deal with.
There is never enough of green glass.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 09, 2021, 10:26:59 pm »

Wow, that years was weathering for your dorf indeed. What a complex personality.

By the way, AFAIK, "really wants a drink" means not improved alcoholism but lack of booze in a fortress. Looks like this will be a first problem for him to deal with.
Yeah, now I see. Aaand looking at our stockpile: I'm starting to suspect nobody's been brewing for a couple of years now and it's finally caught up to us.

Edit: i would also like to note that he has the "doesn't care about anything anymore" trait, so even without the alcohol dependence token he's an alcoholic.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:30:00 pm by auzewasright »

Radiofort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 09, 2021, 10:38:23 pm »

Yeah, now I see. Aaand looking at our stockpile: I'm starting to suspect nobody's been brewing for a couple of years now and it's finally caught up to us.

Edit: i would also like to note that he has the "doesn't care about anything anymore" trait, so even without the alcohol dependence token he's an alcoholic.
I think "doesn't care" is related to witnessing deaths (at least it was that in old versions). That means auze now can haul corpses with thoughts like "bruh, that shit again" instead of "omigoshomigoshomigosh". Really valuable trait, in fact, especially for him.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 09, 2021, 11:41:35 pm »

I think "doesn't care" is related to witnessing deaths (at least it was that in old versions). That means auze now can haul corpses with thoughts like "bruh, that shit again" instead of "omigoshomigoshomigosh". Really valuable trait, in fact, especially for him.
It is, but it will also lead to any non-dwarf basically drinking alcohol like a dwarf.

Radiofort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 10, 2021, 03:55:26 am »

It is, but it will also lead to any non-dwarf basically drinking alcohol like a dwarf.
Huh, well, then it's something new. Thanks for explaining.
(I have a premonition that my turn will be awfully !!FUN!!ny as there's probably much more traits that I'm reading in old way, lol)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 10, 2021, 04:28:23 am »

I know I ceased the common brewing orders midway through my term as we were literally overflowing with booze. I only kept the ones we were below 50 in stock of (so we kept getting drink variety)

I also know that Auze actually did drink a lot for a dwarf. As in multiple barrels during the summer caravan. 5 years its took to get through the supply!
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 10, 2021, 09:52:38 am »

Requesting to be dorfed as an animal trainer as I read my way through the thread.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 10, 2021, 05:16:08 pm »

Appraisals of Auze

So I began my reign with a simple look at the slip that Salmeuk left tallying the total stockpile of our fortress. The first issue became quickly obvious.

Eight units of booze left in the entire fortress. E I G H T  UNITS! That's enough to last maybe a single dwarf a season, or me about a month at most just to quiet down the voices. This must be resolved immediately.

Also, it appears that we are completely out of seeds for any underground crop that isn't Quarry bushes. I hope you guys like rock nut oil/leaves, because that's the one plant product I have growable seeds for that can't be turned into alcohol.

Taking a look at our food stockpile, it gives a different horror story. With nobody brewing or eating Plump Helmets (among others), we just have a massive stockpile of unprocessed PHs stored and no seeds whatsoever.

My first actions are immediate: I unsuspend the orders to produce booze at the still. I also unsuspend the orders to press honey at that one screw press and set the still to make mead.

On that note, we have a ton of honeycomb

With our desperate measures in place, we have managed to begin a turnaround in fortune.

Soon I will banish sobriety and the voices once more!

Aaaand the elves have arrived.

Time to see what my predecessors have left me to trade. Maybe I can get come useful plants/animals.
They don't have much useful: a badger sow, a few barrels, some fruits (none from useful plants), and a diorite pedestal?!

Now, I may not be an expert in elven studies, but I am a expert in good appraisal, and I don't believe the elves are known for their skills in stone-anything.
Anyways, I trade for a few of the more useful goods and decide to let him have a profit, to try and encourage better goods next time around (assuming one of my successors doesn't decide to kill them).

I decided while trading, to begin the first mission. I sent Recon out to free a dwarf form Dimplesteal [strike]and definitely didn't pre-emptively prepare to savescum if it didn't work out[/strike].

It was a success.

I consider getting some new reading material. Maybe I could at least take my mind off of the Rainbow Raptors...

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 10, 2021, 05:19:03 pm »

Requesting to be dorfed as an animal trainer as I read my way through the thread.
Will do, there is exactly one non-dorfed dwarf with animal caretaking skills, and I'm not sure how many with training.

Anyways, other than the getting used to there being more than 2 squads, as well as all of the other additions to the fort (I'm scared to even touch the water reactor), I'm starting to get into the game once again.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 11, 2021, 06:28:52 am »

Look at me sneaking into the biggest goblin fortress by myself and rescuing the idiot I sent to be disposed of poor soul trapped within. Its not for nothing my dwarfette has a high opinion of herself. Its completely justified and to make sure everyone knows it, she had a statue of herself in every bedroom  ;D

10 years Dastot was captured. Hopefully that was sufficient time to destress a bit from my first term as Overseer

Also...no meat, and 8 units of booze? Armok above that was a close call.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 06:32:46 am by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 11, 2021, 06:48:24 am »

How many of our dwarves are out there for us to rescue at this point?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 11, 2021, 12:26:04 pm »

Can I be Dorfed? Me want to drink alcohol and kill undead. Waaaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Wait, God dammit, Wrong race. Dwarf, Not orc.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 11, 2021, 12:55:33 pm »

How many of our dwarves are out there for us to rescue at this point?
That was the only one, I believe. The Rainbow Raptors are no longer considered citizens and as such do not show up.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 109