Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402615 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers wanted!)
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2020, 03:27:47 am »

I'm a bit worried to even peek at the save and see how things are going... Laterigrade, hope you can pull this off!

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a fort free from the will to live (suicidal overseers wanted!)
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2020, 10:56:19 pm »

And then Granite came, and it ceased to be my problem.
Ye gods. I'll have a crack soon-ish.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2020, 12:38:56 am »

After several frustrating attempts at getting the world going, I realised I was trying to put it into my data/save folder for .02.

Now I've downloaded .03. Changing the d_init file. Let's go!

Holy crap. How did it get this bad? A dozen zombies in the fortress, and way more outside. Got the gate closed, forbid the doors to the lower levels.
Undead don't go through those right?

I've sealed off the lower levels leaves me with... two dwarves?
And somehow the forlorn ghouls upstairs are still my citizens? Ye gods.

Nish fell from a kick to the head from the camel skeleton 'Oburalis Ralfath' - 'Herokissed the Silvery Sack'.
Kogan and erith both just fell to the hooves of another pair of undead camels.

Dastot and Udil, Mechanic and Smelter respectively, are both chillin' with the cage traps. Both thirsty. Neither is going to go anywhere; the undead hold the staircase.

Sigun the smelter is going for a last charge against the undead in the staircase. It's too late to do anything about it. A few seconds and several dozens of scratches and kicks later, an artery is opened and he appears to have bled out.
The carpenter, already a ghoul, took a kick in the head from an undead camel. Apparently Cog Whipeven has now assumed the position of expedition leader. Long may he live!

Never mind. I pause-unpause and already, he's taken a camel-kick to the head too.

Worse yet, there don't appear to be any picks in the lower levels. Oh, no, wait, there's forges... but no fuel. And all of the food in the fortress seems to be on the other side of the middle staircase... that is to say, in the part of the fortress inacessible without mining or letting the undead in.
Damn it.
And all the ground accessible to me is stone... meaning not even farms.

Udil the Smelter has assumed the position of expedition leader. To celebrate this occasion, he's leading Dastot the Mechanic in a charge against our former diplomat and an echidna corpse that lead to all this.
I'm putting them in a squad to formalise the attack, hopefully for slightly better results.

I'm holding out hope that the undead will move a little away so that I can deconstruct one of the walls and quickly reconstruct it, having got to the food. You can do that without a pick right...?

Salmeuk and Zan the Potter are my last two dwarves on the lower levels. His friends are dying and he's recently been haunted by a dead lover, but Salmeuk is making mechanisms and cheerfully remarking that 'the amount of practice that goes into mastering a skill is so impressive'. I haven't been taking screenshots for a while, I'll start now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The diplomat and echidna corpses are still doing their best to beat the crap out of each other.

Our miner, Sibrek, is still lying in the hospital... basically unharmed. I looked around and it seems the undead near him are so completely destroyed they aren't attacking him.

Udil and Dastot are just about to reach the diplomat and the echidna.

Oh dear goodness. Udil just reached the corpses and he's aggro'd most of them.

...Ugh. He gave into pain and a dingo and a jaguar skeleton just latched onto his head.
Wow! Another camel-head-kick death!

Zan has assumed the position of expedition leader of the Little Pick! Long may he live!
...and Dastot takes a camel-kick to the head and dies.

The diplomat and the echidna have gone back to worrying at each other, ineffectually biting and scratching at each other, as if nothing happened.
The corpses are still leaving Sibrek alone.

And it's only the 5th of Granite. Far out. I'll update again soon-ish. I haven't used imgur for this before, so tell me if the pictures (which should be in the spoilers) aren't working and I'll find an alternate method.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:57:36 am by Laterigrade »
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2020, 04:11:40 am »

The pictures aren't showing for me, but I can use the link from them so I'm not sure whats going on with them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2020, 05:57:51 am »

Working now?
bool IsARealBoy = false

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2020, 06:02:12 am »

No, I hear people seem to have trouble with imgur but I'm not sure what you could use.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2020, 12:33:44 pm »

By the way, I noticed the citizen ghouls, it’s because intelligent undead (a feature added in .47) keep their original loyalty. Those guys were revived by the necromancer, and I guess have now been given a second chance to try and save things. Was going to go over the status of all the dwarves, but you beat me to it.

Edit: make sure the urls say i.imgur and there isn't a "/a" in there.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 12:49:45 pm by auzewasright »
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2020, 12:58:24 pm »

Working now?

You're using the album addresses, not the actual images. To get those addresses you need to use the "get share links" option or right click>copy image location.

Spoiler: Fixed Version (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 01:07:16 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2020, 01:14:53 pm »

Belated info:

I'm a bit worried to even peek at the save and see how things are going... Laterigrade, hope you can pull this off!
Here's hoping...

In the mean time, here is:
The First* Census of Smallhands
The status of our 23 19 17 14 proud citizens**! Sorted by layer and where they are.***

1: Sigun ùsterib, Looking out for number one
Spoiler: status (click to show/hide)
Sigun has shown something extremely rare: a display of competence in survival. He has decided to flee into the (incomplete) Labyrinth, where traps should slow down the horde of undead, and maybe even eliminate at least a few of them should they choose to pursue. His limitation is the fact that he will eventually have to drink, meaning he can only last as long as he is thirsty, or until zombies reach him.

2&3: Udil Konosèzum & Dastot Litastteskon, unaware workers
Spoiler: status(es) (click to show/hide)
I think these two may have been working on the Labyrinth, as looking into their thoughts show them blissfully unaware of the immanent doom that is right outside of the site they work. They are now thirsty, and will probably successfully bait zombies into the Labyrinth when they realize just how screwed they are.

4&5: Kogan Zonabod & èrith Ceroltenshed, In their last stand
These two dwarfs are busy preparing and defending the hospital from a skeleton. They are surrounded by undead, and are looking to be going to fight desperately for their lives, as well of the lives of those in the hospital.

6, 7, &8: Cog Bomrekdèg, Sibrek Eralthrob, & Rigòth Onolmishthem, Medical Negligence or Undead, whichever comes first
These guys are probably going to either die of thirst, or zombie camel. Whichever comes first.

9, 10, 11, & 12: Olon, Unib, Goden, Lorbam
Spoiler: I’ll do images later (click to show/hide)
These guys are forlorn ghouls, and have retained their memories of their past lives, as well as their loyalty to Smallhands. Relevant song.

13 & 14: Salmeuk & Zan, These guys are safe, just forbid all doors to the stairway.
Spoiler: valuable data (click to show/hide)

*while inaugural is the correct term, I doubt the fortress will live to need a second one.
**Give or take a few undead.
***As of the end of my turn, read the update for more recent info.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 09:44:17 am by auzewasright »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 29, 2020, 07:32:08 pm »

A grand effort from Laterigrade! Perhaps some migrants will arrive and...probably make things worse. Thanks for the fixed image version, nogoodnames.

This is great auze - Udil: 'Everything's good!'
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 08:48:19 pm by delphonso »

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 29, 2020, 08:44:45 pm »

Holy crap. How did it get this bad? A dozen zombies in the fortress, and way more outside. Got the gate closed, forbid the doors to the lower levels.
A certain human weaponsmith necromancer came for about 2 ticks, during which he decided to revive all of the corpses that were laying around thanks to the soldier zombies from earlier. There were a lot of animal corpses. Fortunately, some of the dwarves that had died earlier (thanks to the echinda corpse that beat up the militia) came back as intelligent with all of their loyalty intact. The reason the gate was open was to get some migrants in, and the zombie echidna tied down the militia until they were all injured. In hindsight, I should've opened up the labyrinth instead, which would at least have slowed down the zombies enough that I could forbid the door into the fortress.
Worse yet, there don't appear to be any picks in the lower levels. Oh, no, wait, there's forges... but no fuel. And all of the food in the fortress seems to be on the other side of the middle staircase... that is to say, in the part of the fortress inaccessible without mining or letting the undead in.
Look again, there's a wood stockpile further down in the fortress. The food should be easily accessible, provided I know what you're talking about.

Also:
Sigun did show me a echidna having an existential crisis this week. I really enjoyed that.

That echidna went from having an existential crisis to being an existential threat to the (what one may generously call a) fortress. For bonus irony, you were actually killed by that echidna.
I like this Abli necro though, he's got some history. I'm worried that he might res all those camels. . .
I would say you were right to worry, considering those camels are kicking open dwarfs' heads left and right, but your dwarf is one of the few to be completely fine and safe, thanks to him being in bed while all of this is going on.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 09:07:58 pm by auzewasright »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2020, 01:06:07 am »

Damn that echidna...

Hey, Laterigrade, wanna update to 47.04? That is...if the fort survives.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2020, 02:04:27 am »

To those who may read this, this is the last will and testament of Laterigrade Monomduthal, formerly of the name Zan, for those who come after us.
Laterigrade seems a better name than Zan; with the death of Nish, Udil and then Cog and me taking the position of expedition leader, it seems fitting to separate the old Zan, who did not know this horror, from the new Laterigrade.

The undead have taken over the upper halls, and I have heard the dying screams of our brothers-in-arms, and their shudderings as they rose back to life.
I wish to go up and store their corpses in our refuse pile, but they're inaccessible. I eventually realised that they were forbidden.

Salmeuk is going for a drink, but I'm going to pile up some stones near the stairwell. I can hear the undead killing the roosters and chickens still upstairs.
I don't know what to do. I'm going to bed.

An elven caravan has arrived. Armok save them; we can't. The killer echidnas and camels are slaughtering them. Speaking of which, I think Sibrek took a camel kick to the head while in hospital too.

Dear Armok. We unforbade the stair-well door and the undead rushed it! We're going to die!
...Oh. Whew. I mistook Goden for a skeletal echidna; I just saw his bones and freaked out; I forgot that the friendly undead's bones are a slightly lighter blue than those who are opposed to us.
 He is a ghoul, but a dwarf still; one of our brethren.
He's come over and cried on my shoulder; I'm so sad for him. He has lost so many friends.

Salmeuk was going to go get the pick from the stockpile, but I realised just in time that the undead were about to *actually* bum-rush the stairway, and closed the doors.
Funny how they can't open doors we've closed.

Speaking of which, the elves are dead and the harpy ghoul is killing off our dwarf-ghouls still outside the gates.

Mmkay. Figured out what I'm going to do. Going to build a labyrinth *in* the fortress and let 'em in to give us time to run across the stairway and grab the pick.
Plans have been laid out. They're pretty crummy because I don't have much space to work in, but they'll do.
I'm taking up carpentry to build some doors. Huh, never mind, the logs are behind a closed bridge. Not sure which lever would activate it because none of them are labelled, so I'm not risking any of them.

I'll make my own and link them. Actually, a ghost, once our farmer Bim, has appeared so before I do that I'm making a slab and I'll engrave it.

A miasma has arisen from the bodies in the hospital; I can smell it through the doors downstairs.

The echidna and the diplomat's ghoul are still punching each other.
I've mostly finished the measly labyrinth; I don't have enough space to make it good.
Ye gods. Goden the ghoul got back through. I must have accidentally opened one of the doors. Gee. I can't understand how that happened, because there are a dozen undead in the stairwell; if it was opened they should have burst through.
Anyway, right now he's just running around in a panic.

Oh, wait, no; I found the lever one of the previous overseers named Front Gate, and I'll assume the other two are connected to the bridges closest to them. I'm pulling the one next to the bridge to the underground.

--Accidental lapse back into OOC, realised only after the event--

Wait, no, it closed the bridge up. Repulling it now. Why are we getting a no-wood when trying to build doors, then?

...And what are the dwarves cancelling placing in a stockpile because it's inacessible? I have everything on the surface forbidden, and they should be able to access pretty much everything below the surface, right?
I forbade everything in the caverns, just in case... but now they're just telling stories although I have walls set to be made.
And Wall/Floor Construction is on for them! Ugh.

Salmeuk just cancelled collecting silver nuggets, even though all of them that are inacessible should be forbidden. AAAGH!
Sometimes this game is painfully frustrating.

Hopefully the images work now? I added an i. at the start of the links and deleted the a/... hopefully that works?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 01:59:00 am by Laterigrade »
bool IsARealBoy = false

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2020, 07:23:34 am »

--Accidental lapse back into OOC, realised only after the event--

Wait, no, it closed the bridge up. Repulling it now. Why are we getting a no-wood when trying to build doors, then?

...And what are the dwarves cancelling placing in a stockpile because it's inacessible? I have everything on the surface forbidden, and they should be able to access pretty much everything below the surface, right?
I forbade everything in the caverns, just in case... but now they're just telling stories although I have walls set to be made.
And Wall/Floor Construction is on for them! Ugh.

Salmeuk just cancelled collecting silver nuggets, even though all of them that are inacessible should be forbidden. AAAGH!
Sometimes this game is painfully frustrating.

Hopefully the images work now? I added an i. at the start of the links and deleted the a/... hopefully that works?
They all say that the image has been removed (maybe you uploaded them incorrectly, how did you get the url?). Maybe you accidentally forbid a door somewhere? Also, crap, forgot to mention that you should probably forbid the door to the chicken coop.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2020, 08:29:47 am »

Laterigrade, right click and either 'copy image location' or 'open/view image' and that'll get you the right URL.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 109