Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 409795 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers wanted!)
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2020, 09:50:26 pm »

Speaking of which, the elves are dead and the harpy ghoul is killing off our dwarf-ghouls still outside the gates.

I'm loving these journals!

And RE: issues controlling dwarves, are they in a burrow? If you go into the military screen and check if any burrows are highlighted in the currently selected alert status.

As well, if you are still having issues I can look at the save if you upload it.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2020, 03:58:29 am »

Salmeuk just fell asleep on the floor; I realised that I blocked off the bedrooms for the labyrinth.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm piling up wood in a stockpile a bit closer to the carpenter's workshop. With the bottom layers reopened, Goden is running around crazily collecting stone from the lower levels. Turns out ghouls are both fast and strong, but no matter how much I yell at him, he won't collect wood like I need him to.
Guess I'll have to do it meself.

Salmeuk's awake and making doors; I'll need them to comparmentalise the labyrinth.
Forget to mention I finished a few slabs, vanishing the ghost. Made a few extra in case more show up.

...Some migrants have arrived. Crap.
I... I can't save them. The labyrinth is unfinished; I can't let the undead in or the few who remain will be slaughtered. We'll let them take their chances with the zombies outside the fort.

Skeletons are upon them within the moment.
They're winning at the moment, landing a few good blows. There's too many undead though, and I can hear their cries.
And their offhand comments, too, amidst the battle:

Ye gods. They brought a child. She is lost in rage; I can hear her screams.

Not a single one has died yet, but there are so many undead guarding the gate. All is lost.
They brought along animals too, and this one goose is trying to fly away; it's overcome by terror.

The cook has fallen, amid a pile of vile goo.

Seeing their (relative) success, I'm forming them up into several squads. They might actually have a chance at defeating those on the surface, and maybe even those in the stairwell.
Two squads: the Pure Wires and the First Stockades.

Also, a picture of all the migrants as they are now:

A giant capybara skeleton is getting beaten to death right now, mobbed by 18 dwarves and a child, but a dyer decided to take on an echidna skeleton by himself and is suffering the consequences.

The geese are still flying into the sky!

Second migrant death; the dreaded echidna skeletons are the worst of the undead.
...Ugh. Urvad, a newly installed wrestler, is also dead. The giant capybara skeletons are a menace.
My hopes are dead; the migrants will die en masse. Almost all are overwhelmed with horror, and they all have a fever, thanks to the vile goo.
Most are highly wounded, too. Our only hope is the labyrinth.

--OOC--
(even then I kinda lapsed back into it before this anyway but whatever)
Fixed the previous post! Sorry guys and thanks delphonso!
Also yes, 'twas a burrow restricting us. I haven't played DF in a while; my problem-diagnosing skills are rusty. Thanks Salmeuk!
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2020, 05:25:40 am »

Why are echidnas so deadly?!

It really seems like you're doing great, all things considered. Uh, about 47.04. Not sure if that'll 'fix' those forlorn ghouls who are friendly. It might...switch their loyalties.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2020, 05:44:59 am »

I see. Thing is, Goden the Ghoul is in the fort now. I’ll probably do another update staying in .03, and mess around with a few things, and try and see if I can burrow him somewhere and maybe wall him off before updating. The problem is, of course, that I can’t control him pretty much at all. However, I think he did respond to the burrow before, so I’ll see.
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2020, 06:29:05 am »

I...tried to test it for you. Results are unclear. The forlorn ghouls maintained their weird status (on the citizen list, but can't assign labors/military). They continued to battle the honestly staggering amount of undead camels in the fortress. I saw zero reports of them picking a fight with the dwarves - but they dropped pretty quickly, so I didn't get a good look at it. Walling up might be a good option, but probably isn't a priority.

Also, honestly? 210 dead?!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2020, 11:02:41 am »

I...tried to test it for you. Results are unclear. The forlorn ghouls maintained their weird status (on the citizen list, but can't assign labors/military). They continued to battle the honestly staggering amount of undead camels in the fortress. I saw zero reports of them picking a fight with the dwarves - but they dropped pretty quickly, so I didn't get a good look at it. Walling up might be a good option, but probably isn't a priority.

Also, honestly? 210 dead?!

That f*cking echinda skelton has been murdering every surface creature for almost two years now. .

Also I cannot believe I am one of two surviving dwarves. I'll have to write a journal entry about this. Also, I just caught this, but Smunstu the dancing goblin, the goblin that Salmeuk spent so much time admiring, returned to the fortress. Only to be destroyed by the undead. Poor Smuntsu.

Also, here's to version 47 bringing back that !!FUN!! we've missed for so long.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2020, 11:40:14 am »

Why are echidnas so deadly?!

It really seems like you're doing great, all things considered. Uh, about 47.04. Not sure if that'll 'fix' those forlorn ghouls who are friendly. It might...switch their loyalties.
Forlorn ghouls being citizens  is a feature, not a bug.
Quoth the wiki:
Unlike zombies, intelligent undead retain much of their original personality once revived. This includes loyalty, so do not attempt to raise an enemy you have slain in adventure mode as an intelligent undead - they will remember they're your foe and will attack you.
To answer your first question, the proportions of an echidna mean that the only part dwarfs ever hit appears to be the upper body. As most of the things in the upper body are not necessary for undead, they can take a ton of hits there and so long as the upper body isn’t missing the undead’ll keep going. So you have dwarfs attacking constantly in the upper body and having to dodge or take attacks by the fast echidna until they finally collapse from exhaustion and are mauled or bleed to death.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2020, 12:39:06 am »

Salmeuk mutters softly in the corner of what was once the grand entrance hall, a gigantic, echoing room that was now split into a chaotic maze of crudely shaped building stones.

"I must build. I must build. I must return the pick. I must go on."

The stink of death has long flushed away any clean air in these foul passageways, where two dwarves persist amidst the terror of a ghoulish siege. A sort-of-routine has settled in, with one making stones and the other stacking them into walls. The plan is a simple one: lure the ghouls into the hastily-constructed labyrinth while the other is busy stealing away the pick from the bloodied corpse that dropped it. Not foolproof by any means, but it was the only plan they had. Without that pick, they were trapped like a pair of drowning moles.

Salmeuk stacked another stone onto the pile.

"I must build. I must build."

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2020, 02:40:53 am »

I hear the buzzings of swarms of blood gnats rising above the screams and cries of dwarves.

I hear their sudden hiss as they descend upon another victim, accompanied by the groans of death. A symphony of sorts.

I'm worn out; I think I'll just rest here. Just for a moment.

I toss and turn in sleep, and screams feature prominently in my dreams.

I wake with a start; Goden stands over me, a crazed look in his eye. Something tells me he wants my help, but I'm too thirsty; I brush past him, moving to the drinks stockpile.
He runs after me, scrambling, and as I quench my thirst he stands there, waiting.

Another scream rends the air outside, and I realise that the screams were not inventions of a fevered brain - they were real.
Sighing, I take Goden to the temple, and calm him down.

As I finish talking to him, I realise that the screams have stopped - the migrants must be dead. We are once again alone.
The only sounds that remain are the grunting of the diplomat and the harsh wails of the undead echidna, still taking chunks out of each other.

The labyrinth is almost ready; all that remains is to bring some beds over to our little pocket we're sealing off, and place the last brick down.
Actually, we're also bringing some stone and wood up from the lower levels, in case we need to stay sealed off for a good long while, or need to build walls.

It is slow work, but necessary.

We pasture the animals in the temple; I fear it may be disrespectful, but we can't have them getting in our way. The animals shudder at Goden's touch, but they come with him eventually.

He lugs stone, too, like it's nothing but pebbles.

We have enough in our stockpiles; the last stones are laid in the labyrinth.

Let the hordes come through!
...Well, that was an anti-climax. I made the door passable... but either they can't path to the dwarves, or they can't be bothered. Crap.

Oh, no, the first ones are coming. Just slowly; I expected more of a mad scramble than this orderly conga line.

Me and Salmeuk begin a tune of dwarven bravery, and courage in the face of despair, to bolster our spirits. We hear the undead grunt and whine as they stumble onwards, but do not break our tune.

It... it worked perfectly. Almost. I say almost because not all of the undead are trapped, and there is one that will not be moved: the echidna. But hopefully it stays pre-occupied by the diplomat. Meanwhile, Salmeuk (who I graciously volunteered for the task, being too important to attend to it myself) will dash through and grab the pick and mine his way around to us.
Holding my breath... and he made it through!

The echidna didn't even bat an eyelid!

And the fortress is connected once again!

We will, of course, stay unconnected with the top part; the only things there are corpses, and of course the echidna and the diplomat.

...But, of course, there is yet another snag. It seems that all of the soil layers, which we desperately need for farming, are aquifer layers. Hm.
And it is now summer!

...And, of course, that means another undead invasion! They'll join the ranks of those who wait for us to come out, I guess.

--OOC--
yet again I kinda lapsed into it before the alloted time, but whatever
@Any previous overseer: is the aquifer light aquifer or heavy? If it's light I can use it, but if it's heavy... there be no hope for the dwarves of Smallhands.

bool IsARealBoy = false

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2020, 04:08:29 am »

It's a light aquifer - it's two or three layers? Check the notes layer, I labeled all the aquifer layers. Really great job, Laterigrade! The fortress lives on thanks to you! Let's just see what can happen next. You may want to dig a farm area under the evil biome in the SE, since auze's trap hallway might take up a lot of the farming space. Reclaiming it would be great, though.

Forlorn ghouls being citizens  is a feature, not a bug.
[snip~]
To answer your first question, the proportions of an echidna mean that the only part dwarfs ever hit appears to be the upper body. As most of the things in the upper body are not necessary for undead, they can take a ton of hits there and so long as the upper body isn’t missing the undead’ll keep going. So you have dwarfs attacking constantly in the upper body and having to dodge or take attacks by the fast echidna until they finally collapse from exhaustion and are mauled or bleed to death.

I mix up undead lieutenants, experiments, and special undead pretty often - but I think this is on the bugtracker somewhere, though an interesting one. They're supposed to be opposed to life - including previous friends. Could be mixing it up with one of the other necromancer features added recently, though.

I ran into the same echidna issue with an undead rabbit in adventure mode. I tried to test some other things such as hitting it so hard it exploded or throwing it off a necromancer tower, but it seems that nothing would destroy it... But a simple wrestle-grab head-pinch could kill it instantly. Maybe a wrestler squad would be useful?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2020, 04:07:57 pm »

Me and Salmeuk begin a tune of dwarven bravery, and courage in the face of despair, to bolster our spirits. We hear the undead grunt and whine as they stumble onwards, but do not break our tune.

that is the coolest thing and its why I still love DF after all these years - that such a small detail can be interpreted into something so relevant to the narrative is simply amazing.

Whoevers turn is next might think about digging a safe passage for migrants. Also, I feel like I missed something, is Goden actually alive? Or is he a ghoul now?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2020, 07:09:36 pm »

Goden's a ghoul, doing some labor it seems, but otherwise uncontrollable. Sort of like sentient pets.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2020, 10:12:52 pm »

Another spirit has risen! A previous overseer of the fortress, it seems.

I'm going down into the newly re-connected lower levels to build and engrave a slab for him, while Salmeuk digs through to reconnect the bedrooms to us.

Goden goes over to stare at the spirit, his dead eyes gazing at it without interest.

Speaking of which, a necro arrived with the siege! And, I just realised, our dead/missing count is at 250.

Were this fortress fine, I'd suggest that now was the time to capture him, and begin our own necro-bacon industry... but two dwarves is about 50 too few for that.

Goden wanders aimlessly, and though he wanders through our temples, he seems unable to pray, like the human king in the ancient tale, Umac Bethás - Botheredgrief, translated out of the human tongue - who slew his liege, and suffered for it.

I begin to construct the slab, and set Salmeuk a place to mine. Studying the fortress maps, I see that the old farms are, surprisingly, clear of even corpses, and separated from the echidna and diplomat by a closed door, so I've decided that we'll mine through the aquifer up to there.

Del has been put to rest, and Salmeuk begins to hew the rock.

Salmeuk mines up towards the farms... but it seems that this part of the layers isn't aquifer. All the better.

And we're reconnected to the farms! Salmeuk begins planting seeds, and I begin constructing a small office for him, so we can actually get an accurate count of what we have and what we don't.

I've set Salmeuk to begin making a labyrinth that goes most of the way to the surface, near the edge of the map. We might turn this into a trap corridor and see if we can siphon off the undead outside to the point where we could, one day, get migrants through.

I myself am planting seeds, and I'll build a still and brew up some good ol' dwarven beer soon; our stocks are getting low.

I aim to use as many doors and all sorts of roundabout tricks to get the migrants on different paths to the undead.

Of course, it's not connected to the surface yet, but at some point it will be.

I'm making some pots to hold the beer, Salmeuk's making mechanisms at a furious rate.
Things begin to settle into a slow rhythm. Before now I haven't been dating entries because noteworthy things have been happening all the time, but with the fortress restored to a modicum of sanity and normalcy, I don't see a need to put down every last thing that happens.

15th Malachite
I have brewed the first barrel of beer since The Incident! Praise the farmer, hardworking and steadfast: me! Praise the brewer, maker of the dwarven drink: me again!

18th Malachite
We have, at long last, an accurate count as to our food.

3rd Galena
The necro left, but his troops are still wandering around, killing wildlife, such as a bunch of Giant Flies.

24th Galena
For example:

1st Limestone
Autumn has come.
We're making cages; progress goes slowly.
I'll lay down my pen here.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 05:00:46 pm by Laterigrade »
bool IsARealBoy = false

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2020, 06:51:47 am »

Speaking of which, a necro arrived with the siege! And, I just realised, our dead/missing count is at 250.

Were this fortress fine, I'd suggest that now was the time to capture him, and begin our own necro-bacon industry... but two dwarves is about 50 too few for that.
You accidentally left out the [ img ] tags in this image. Here's it fixed.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2020, 12:58:09 am »

You accidentally left out the [ img ] tags in this image. Here's it fixed.
Fixed it, sorry.
bool IsARealBoy = false
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 109