Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 410717 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers wanted!)
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2020, 12:59:25 am »

Glad I came by to check things out. I like to think my haunting was just checking in on the few survivors and making sure everything carried on okay.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2020, 03:21:06 am »

Things looked pretty dire for a bit, good to see things are turning around for the fort.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2020, 11:07:22 am »

Things looked pretty dire for a bit, good to see things are turning around for the fort.

I have no idea how the last two dwarves haven't lost their minds. My dwarf was either stronger than I thought, or had fewer friends than I remember. Dwarves make more friends in the new versions, and I've noticed this plays into the stress system. They have more and more opportunities for pleasant interactions, though also more chances they will lose a loved one. I see more families, too.

Glad I came by to check things out. I like to think my haunting was just checking in on the few survivors and making sure everything carried on okay.

I wish ghosts could generate a positive thought or two for the less fearful dwarves.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2020, 06:29:21 am »

We might see these two go babbling mad. Maybe they've been hardened by some experiences already. Or Sal is just a sociopath.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2020, 04:20:28 am »

The save is here.
I basically blitzed through the last half of the year, mindful of the upcoming two-week deadline-thing. I, uh... kind of forgot to take notes during that time, but very little happened; it'll be okay. The next major goal for the fort is, I think, to cut down some trees in the cavern so as to make cages for traps in the entrance.  Good luck, nogoodnames!

Thank you all you readers for dealing with my bad writing and numerous changes in style, and thank you for your kind words.

NB: I never updated to 47.04, so be mindful of that. Not sure if ghoul mechanics will change if you update; be wary and open the save in .03 before you update it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 04:25:46 am by Laterigrade »
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2020, 06:14:54 am »

I want to subscribe for being overseer.

FPS friendly fort sounds interesting to me, hopefully it will survive till my turn!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2020, 10:10:07 am »

Great work saving the fort, Laterigrade, honestly. Looking forward to nogoodnames's turn!

I'll update the front page and add mko to the list soon.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2020, 02:28:48 pm »

Alright then, I'll get started either later today or tomorrow.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2020, 09:43:01 pm »

I basically blitzed through the last half of the year, mindful of the upcoming two-week deadline-thing. I, uh... kind of forgot to take notes during that time, but very little happened; it'll be okay. The next major goal for the fort is, I think, to cut down some trees in the cavern so as to make cages for traps in the entrance.  Good luck, nogoodnames!

Thank you all you readers for dealing with my bad writing and numerous changes in style, and thank you for your kind words.

You did an awesome job, especially considering how wild your turn got. . no one talks ever about this, but succession forts can be VERY time consuming, especially if you are trying to wrap in-game events with some kind of narrative. Simply documenting events as they occur can take a long f*cking time. You kept the story going and it was entertaining - nicely done!!

And good luck nogoodnames! Hopefully your turn brings an end to ghoulish siege.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2020, 09:32:07 pm »

===+ Journal of the Undying Overseer +===

1st of Granite, 154

Through the same dark magics which ended my life, I once again walk these halls. My body is scarred beyond belief. My mind, while still my own, is changed. I no longer feel the sways of emotion as I once did. I am of Thunennökor, the living dead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My living comrades were initially distrustful, but by now they have realized that I retain my old loyalties. With only four of us left, they have no choice but to accept my help.

Communication is still difficult, owing to my unfortunate inability to speak. We get by well enough with writing and hand gestures. While they maintain an admirable level of discipline, the stress of our situation is no-doubt mounting on the living. Laterigrade in particular has complained about the isolation he must endure for safety. Perhaps this is why he agreed to pass the position of overseer on to me. Death stilled my heart and left me with only cold logic and steely determination. I can endure any test of will and make the decisions necessary for our survival. I will see us through this crisis, one way or the other.

Initial assessment of Smallhands and goals for its long-term survival.

This place is a maze, and memories of my past life are often too foggy to be of help. Nevertheless, I believe I have a general idea of our situation here.

Our food and drink stocks could last the two dwarves who still need them for years, and our farms are still safe to use. Our position is secure for now.

However, without a flow of new blood, it is inevitable that our fortress will become nought but a home of death. We must ensure the safety of new migrants. To that end, our first goal must be to deal with the zombie hordes above and break this accursed siege.

I would like to reclaim our main stairwell and rescue my undead sister, but she is still locked in eternal combat with that infernal echidna.

Her fighting and dodging abilities have become legendary while dealing with that thing. It can barely touch her now, and she is brutalizing it in ways I have a hard time understanding.

Unfortunately, the echidna stays rolled up in a ball, not exposing any vulnerable parts. Coupled with its undead durability, she can’t get a killing blow on it. Proper weapons are needed to end its reign of terror, but I’m reluctant to send our two living dwarves to assist. The numerous corpses of previous contenders are proof enough of the danger. I won’t try until I can provide them with at least basic armour.

The cage trap halls my predecessor has laid out are strangely designed, but the intention is clear enough. Once completed, they should serve to capture the zombies on the surface.

The undead animals inside are another problem, but they’re contained for now. Once the main stairway is cleared, we can complete the labyrinth and lead them through there. The traps already present will hopefully be enough to deal with them.

Our first priorities are clear. We must gather wood, both for cages and for charcoal. The caverns seem safe at the moment and we should take immediate advantage of that.

Next, at the very least we must forge two helmets for our living dwarves. With them and some weapons from our stockpile, they should be able to deal with the echidna and free our poor undead diplomat. I imagine she will also be unable to speak or perform complex new labors, but an extra set of hands will be appreciated. More importantly, she will be a great boon when dealing with our numerous corpses. The living put on a brave face, but I suspect they will be strongly affected by seeing the brutalized remains of their loved ones. That unfortunate reality should be hidden from them as quickly and quietly as possible.

Finally, we must end the zombie occupation of our surface. No more death will come of our complacency. By the time the caravans come, this nightmare will be over.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 01:30:11 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2020, 11:12:04 pm »

Awesome drawing! You've got your work cut out for you. Best of luck, nogoodnames!

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2020, 04:42:22 am »

Using two last living dwarves seems a bit risky, but...

rostbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2020, 04:47:26 am »

In a 0.44 fortress, I once had an undead elf bashing a living echidna 24500 times with an iron bow over the course of 10 months before the echidna was finally dead. With an undead echidna and fist punches only, this might as well take decades.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2020, 04:53:02 am »

Would it be possible to set up a smashing chamber and mine those two out, in the hopes their battle moves into smashland?

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2020, 05:06:27 am »

Love the drawing and writing, nogoodnames!

Would it be possible to set up a smashing chamber and mine those two out, in the hopes their battle moves into smashland?
In the time I was overseeing the fortress, they didn’t move from their tile once; they’re completely occupied with hitting each other.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 109