Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 407073 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers wanted!)
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2020, 06:00:25 am »

That sounds like traitor-speak, auzewasright...

So travellers back to China are bringing new cases of Covid19 with them. I've been advised to stay indoors by my fiance so I don't have to explain that I've been here for ages to every person I walk past or shop I go to. Basically: free ride to do fuck all for the next week. I'll probably finish this pretty quickly, but am also trying to get nice detailed reports for each play session.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:02:50 am by delphonso »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2020, 07:21:16 am »

Granite 156
+Journal of the Gravekeeper+

I walked confidently up the stairs in my new position: Overseer. It doesn't sound good. Graveseer? Keep thinking on it. I heard a creaking crash as the gate opened – instantly, Moldath swung the hatch open and shouted, “INTRUDER!”

Before I could ask what that meant or really what I should do, he dropped the hatch. I'm not one for violence, nor excitement, nor confrontation, argument, conflict... So I disappeared further into the fort and pretended to be busy. Later, in the tavern, Moldath told us what had happened:

"So me and this old son of a hog, we was sparring, as we do. The old rusty gate cranked open, we didn't know what was happening, but on the other side there were two ugly mugs looking at us. Abli and Ast – the necromancers who menace us every year – were there, just as surprised as us. I shouted down that we had intruders, I thought it was them what'd opened the gate."
He laughed at this and emptied a mug of dwarven wine, making eye contact with me at the end of his drink...Lesson noted...

"I ran after Abli, Nogood ran for Ast. We'd trained for this exactly. Abli raised a capybara to slow me down. Heh, it didn't. Abli ran for the hills, but I was already on him. I swung and took his left leg off in a single slice." He stood up, and started following the motions he'd done earlier - his hand lovingly on his steel short sword. He continued, "Nish's old sword still doing good work. He hit the ground and I started taking him apart. I'd been hoping to get my hands on this bastard since the undead hassled me on the way in here." The other dwarves nodded solemnly.

"Nogood let out a long, low moan. I thought he'd died...again – when I glanced over I saw two harpies and a sparrowman head moving toward me. Then, something snapped in me. I felt myself completely relax, my vision went out...I was the sword: the Dwarven Trance. I threw myself around the battlefield, every swing hitting and killing. Abli was first, stabbed him through the lungs. The harpies next, each a slash across the neck. The head was split in two." Moldath's eyes were wide as he talked about this. The famed Martial Trance, or Dwarven Trance...I always figured it was some sort of myth, but old soldiers swear by it. I'm still unconvinced.

"Nogood came back from around the north side of the fort, he swung his axe and it blew a weasel skeleton to bits, the pieces flying in an arc through the air, then rejoining before they hit the ground, and it charged again. Two unkillable beasts, running on the power of death, and one was on our side. I charged toward the gooey part and finished off some capybara. I saw Ast running off in the distance. Too far for us to catch him now. If only my brother in arms could have a cup of ale..." Nogood stood, starring blankly, as if the words couldn't pierce his skull. I'm glad he's on our side, a dwarf is a dwarf - dead or alive. Not sure what I should do with his grave, though...

"We met back up, Nogood having finished off his fair share of corpses. Our first real fight in a while, and it went perfectly. Then I heard the honking. The gate! Open, undefended! Nogood and I both realized it at the same time. We rushed back, I saw Edem being attacked by the swan – but Edem, you crazy son of a bitch, you were laughing as you dodged and weaved around it! I ran down the stairs instead, a ram was getting tackled by a capybara. Ast – this one, the good one - was there, punching it in the face. One swipe and it was done, Nogood sent the swan's bones scattering in the sand."

Quite a rousing tale, really. Even I, who disdain violence, must admit I was riveted. It also sent home how much we need a military. Necromancers are a serious threat. Our monument to death is surrounded by skeletons, too. I actually think these two got quite lucky. Nogood's speed puts him at a serious disadvantage... What we really want is to bring the fight to us – to fight it on our own terms...or not to fight it at all.

With access to the bees, I'll set about my clever plan to prevent this sort of thing from happening. The elves are likely to arrive soon, anyway, so I'll just leave the gate open for some time. We could use the fresh air, despite what most of these people think. There are still some dead out there to bury, as well. I saw them when I arrived... The dwarves are grumbling about not wanting to go out there, but giving those hard orders is just the job of an overseer. Over-bee-r? No, don't force it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 07:25:31 am by delphonso »

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2020, 10:15:20 am »

Interested in a Laterigrade II, and Auze2?
Sound good. One thing though, I forgot to dwarf myself during my turn, so there never was an Auze1.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2020, 01:49:48 pm »

I'm glad the bees are getting some love - I remember those four hives were the first thing I noticed when I loaded up the save. "Who put these here, and what were they smoking?!"

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2020, 04:32:18 pm »

Good to see all that training wasn't put to waste! Assuming mko didn't cancel my orders, there should be a set of boots and gauntlets for our militia somewhere. They might not put them on automatically unless you force their uniform to replace their clothes.

Spoiler: Necromancers (click to show/hide)

P.S. I've heard that tavern keepers will shove alcohol down anyone's throat whether they need to drink or not. It might be hard to get Nogood to stay in a tavern though, considering he doesn't even have needs anymore.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 05:37:23 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2020, 05:17:57 pm »

There was no deliberate cancellation of any orders (except suspending smoothing by disabling labors)/objects/structures. And I don't remember any cancellation messages.

I also produced some extra armor (boots + something else) when I noticed that guards are missing this part of equipment.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2020, 06:16:19 pm »

Stockpiles are frankly a mess - which is probably true of every succession fort. When we have more dwarves for hauling, they might need to be completely redone.

I'm glad the bees are getting some love - I remember those four hives were the first thing I noticed when I loaded up the save. "Who put these here, and what were they smoking?!"

Honestly, I put them there thinking some trolls would knock them over immediately. I saw Cilob the Beekeeper had no labors turned on and hadn't done anything but pray for a couple months, and it all just clicked. I WILL have a successful bee industry.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2020, 09:56:09 pm »

Spring 156
+Journal of  the Gravekeeper+

-=~-=-~=-

I installed a hive directly outside the gate. The purpose of this clever installation is two-fold... First, the hive will provide valuable honey and wax for drinks, crafts, and cooking. Secondly, the common honeybee is known to sting anyone who comes near it. This would undoubtedly distract any sneaking necromancers and give us the advantage of knowing that they'd come! Hah!

My gravekeeping duties take priority over the further installation of beehives, unfortunately. There are a few dwarves who lie dead on the surface. Memorialized or not, for a dwarves bones to be sun-bleached is a great dishonor. I've been warned by some of the others to avoid the vile goo in the southeast. I wasn't planning to go there, but thanks guys. I'll watch out. I should see if there are any books on psychology in the library. I think the smallness of this fort has ruined the minds of a few of these dwarves.

-=~-=-~=-

The library is a square room with 3 bookshelves and no books. Mateusz gave me a big grin and a thumbs up when I inquired about books. He showed me the neighboring room – which is another large square filled with...a gem stockpile and two querns. “We're working on it!” he said, all too proudly. I supposed I don't need a book. I think this confirms my hypothesis...

-=~-=-~=-

The elves arrived today. Now's my first chance to act as a real overseer...Underseer? Overtaker?
I order several finished goods and all types of clothing to the depot. Kib “auze” straightens their clothes in an attempt to look like a real professional broker. We sell off all of our torn and rotten clothing and get fresh clothes, some fruit, and a wolf in exchange.

The elves brought very little this season. I'm told that several of their ilk had died here years past. Auze made sure to give them a large profit, so they might have better wares next year. While carrying some items to the depot, I noticed some piles of valuable goods on the surface. Weapons, armor, thread, gems, bars. I made a short list of items to recover and sent the dwarves topside to get them.

Meanwhile, the gravekeeping wasn't going fast enough, and a spirit arose to bother the living. Memorial slabs to the three unrecovered we made and the spirit was quickly put to rest. A few more coffins were installed and the bodies were recovered.

As I stood in the stairwell, waiting for someone to help me carry a hive to the surface, I noticed a bunch of clean and happy dwarves running down the stairs. Migrants!

By The Helpful Saint... That's a lot of migrants.

16, all told. Doubling our population to 32. I ordered some digging to be done – a stairwell was put into Sigun's miserable office. That'll connect to another 25 bedrooms or so below the originals.

They gathered in the temples and I took a headcount. A valuable force, no doubt. I have grouped them as follows:

Skilled workers:
Nish, a beekeeper. Alath, a waxworker. Rakust, another beekeeper.

Military recruits:
Tosid, Minkot, Deler and Dumed – a married couple, Ducim, Zuntir, Messthos (unskilled but dreams of being a warrior) and Olon, who is an expert marksdwarf. So many military skills in this batch! Surely a sign from the Saint – a military is what we need!

Notable others:
Stinthid and Zuglar: two doctors that are greatly needed.

Useless peasants:
Sibrek and Sodel – smiths. Dumed (another one) has no skills, is weak, clumsy, and quick to tire and when I asked about his dreams he couldn't tell me anything. Truly an unexceptional dwarf.

-~=-=~-

With the new labor, work has been going splendidly. It's nearly the end of Spring, and I'd like to finish recovering items from the surface soon. Another hive has been installed, but we'll have to wait on the rest.

I have begun working on the labyrinth directly under the bunker. I have a plan for disrupting any more sieges. I should mention that Lokum has taken a sour disposition. I asked him to clear out the corpse stockpile by placing them in that garbage compressor. I guess the piles of troglodytes was too much for him. He seems quite upset, so I asked him to take it easy. The corpse stockpile is done, though! So that's great! Pray to the saint, Lokum. Everything will be forgotten in time.

I heard some roaring from the caverns, but it quickly returned to silence. I'd guess that legendary Bugui has killed another beast.

Finally, the two doctors set about removing the old hospital. I've ordered some beds to be placed in the new one, and outfitted it with all the furniture we could need. We are lacking in plaster, still... And I have no idea about soap...

The hot summer sun comes bearing down on the Desert of Furs. Now with ample labor, we have made the first steps to preparing for whatever the world throws at us next.

-=~-=-~=-

OOC:
Sorry for the lack of screenshots. It wasn't a particularly exciting visual mess this time.
I had an idea to trap and use Bugui as an anti-invader flame-thrower. It'd be very risky, but very useful... Bugui in Chinese means "against the rules/discipline". Not sure if that's a warning or not...
Oh, and the FB was a web-spitting feathered gigantic mite named Oxut. The combat log had only one line... Bugui killed it instantly.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2020, 08:53:03 pm »

Summer 156

-=~-=-~=-

The black sand shimmered under the summer sun. Nobly, the beekeepers erected the last few hives we had. 5 in total. The bees will need some time to recover their numbers, but I hope to install another 3 by the end of the season. The collection of goods from outside went well enough. I dedicated a large “everything” stockpile in the...paper making room? It's just the biggest empty space we have. It...is a mess, but items are moved and that's what's important. I tell Sigun to close the gate but right as the gates close, Moldath yells down that something is coming.

Sakzul will fit right in! She's good with wood, of which we've run out. Luckily there are a few trees that have grown in the cavern layer, so I asked her to cut them all down. Deep below the fort, the first steps of our military operation is underway. First, I covered a potential whole in our defenses on the first cavern layer, then ended a staircase into the magma. Then, I ordered the digging out of reasonable space for some magma forges. This will do for now, as we currently are low on fuel, wood, and magma-safe material.

I heard some noises from the caverns again. This was a long battle for sure. I almost want to take a peek out there and see what was happening, but...no, let's not. Bugui oddly has become some sort of guardian for the fortress.

Dumed, Deler's husband, dropped his drink mid-quaff. He stumbled off toward the workshops. We all stood aside, not wanting to interfere – he was charmed by the fey, some powerful message would surely come from this.

Salmeuk looked on in wonder. Only one other artifact existed in the fort. Sal would see both brought into the world. Dumed stumbled between stockpiles, leather, bone, bronze...What would he create?

Meanwhile, my masterful trap was underway. The bridges, doors, and walls were constructed and the levers were being hooked up. I ordered a few more mechanisms to be made. Foolishly, one of my first actions was reducing the number of mechanisms to have on standby. I'm looking forward to explaining it to the other dwarves when it's finally done.

You know, I haven't seen Stinthad lately. Eh. Probably nothing.

I was given a list of all the animals which are considered tame in our fortress. I scoffed at the missing number of 145000 bees. I ordered all the unimportant animals to be placed near a kitchen, butchery, and tannery. Oddly, two dwarves walked into the gooey part of the map. What? Why? They brought back two animals – that must mean there's a pile of goods over there! Of course! I missed it under the goo! I started searching and eventually discovered a pile of elven goods, dropped by some work animal, probably killed by an echidna years past. There are some clothes and a lot of wooden armor in the pile. Nothing we need right now.

The dwarves who collected the animals are running a fever. The animals seem happy to be out of their cages, though. They'll soon be made into meals.

Dumed's artifact is a success! Neverweathered, like Smallhands herself, beaten and bloodied, but never weathered down. Could have used more bees, but it's alright.

Now that the hospital has been put all in one place, I've deconstructed the walls of the old one and made it the new training grounds for our now...two military squads. Moldath really objected to this, but I separated him and Nogood. They're both Legendary fighters and should be able to spread their knowledge more effectively to two different teams. Introducing, the GraveWardens.

GraveWardens: Nogood, Tosid and Ducim (axedwarves) and Deler and Dumed, the couple.
Rainbow Raptors: Moldath, Solon, Olon, Mestthos and Zuntir. This force is a bit weaker, especially as I asked Moldath to drop his sword and pick up the hammer. He scoffed but did it. To repay the kindness, I've placed Nish's sword on a pedestal in the Library/Museum. Should the need arise, hammers and axes should take down undead better than swords would. Hopefully, they'll never have to use them.

Spoiler: Nish's Sword (click to show/hide)

The forges and smeltry are in place. We've harnessed the power of the earth itself. It'll be slow-going, since it's far from the real fortress, but I've assigned 12 suits of bronze to be made. That'll cover the next few migrants we get.

The box on the sand's roof is cooling down at night. That can only mean Autumn is nearly on us. There is much to do in the next few seasons. Ideally, I can finish my trap, and then – there's nothing that can stop us.

-=~-=-~=-

OOC:
Bugui and Omsos did actually fight it out for a while, I was worried that Bugui would actually die, but the fight was mostly both of them dodging fireballs and poisonous globs.
When the trap is finished, I'll post screenshots and explain it in detail. It's simple, but should be quite effective. It'll also be useful against trolls/goblins.
I killed almost all the livestock hoping to free up some FPS (I think the absurd amount of items of the surface are slowing this down a bit.) It turned out the actual cause of slow down was 15 bugbats pathing through the 3rd cavern layer. Oh well.
Currently, Orthoclase is our only magma-safe material. I found some and started digging some out. We should be alright for future mechanisms and blocks. I'll also make some corkscrews from glass - which can be used in weapon traps if nothing else.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:26:21 am by delphonso »

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2020, 09:25:57 pm »

Where Neverweathered will be placed?

I wonder how door made from a bones of a single goose looks like.

What happened with Stinthad? Drawbridge smashing? Is Orthoclase marked as an economic stone?

And thanks for a great update!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2020, 11:07:30 pm »

I wonder how door made from a bones of a single goose looks like.

Maybe it was a really big goose? And you can't forget the horse and camel bones mixed in.

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2020, 12:54:04 am »

Autumn 156

-=~-=-~=-

As I walked the rough limestone halls of Smallhands' residential quarters, passing clusters of gems, bauxite and jet, I stopped and stared intently into a rose quartz cluster. The echoes of activity found their way down the halls to me. More than 30 dwarves worked their crafts and practiced their arts under a mountain of sand and bones.

Truly, the fortress of Smallhands had prospered under my stewardship. I have been a fine overseer – Overkeeper? I'll do my best to make sure this place prospers before my year is done. Perhaps Sigun was joking when the responsibility was given to me, or perhaps not, but either way, he looks at me with respect now. And, in some way, I him. The dwarves here are of a unique stock. Tempered by the horror of the outside, and warmed by the beauty of the interior. Here, below the bones of a hundred animals and near the graves of a hundred dwarves, wrapped around hallways filled with undead, you can still see a smile. Perhaps I was wrong with my first impression of the place. Perhaps it has a good reputation for a good reason.

-=~-=-~=-

Enough waxing poetic for now. The dwarven merchants have arrived. Wagons full to bursting with goods, and armed to the teeth with guards, they've been here before and were ready for whatever the Desert of Furs would throw at them.

Perhaps they're a bit too jumpy – they've taken to trying to kill every buzzard in the area. This violence and the bolts flying through the air has disturbed several of our dwarves. We hauled a few goods – mostly made of bone – to the depot. I sent a gift back to the mountain homes first – a pile of goose bone crafts. Then, auze began the real negotiations.

Auze walked in with such a grin on his face – a hard bargain was pressed and he'd succeeded ridiculously. Wood – easily 30 logs, steel bars, food and drink, and he got them to throw in some clothes for free. All for just some rotten rags. Incredible, truly.

I spoke to the liaison and was disturbed to hear that the mountain homes didn't have access to certain goods. Notably, bituminous coal or lignite. Without that, and without it nearby, steel may be merely a dream. That can be a problem for the next overseer, though.

I guess auze made too good of a deal. One of the merchants is wandering around with their ox and look really depressed. A macedwarf is doing their best to keep him safe from buzzards but I can tell the fellow is totally crestfallen.

Well, I seem to have discovered what happened to Stinthad. Seemingly, she locked herself behind a wall while we were building our trap. I knew I should have triple checked the area afterwards, but I must have been distracted by bees or something. Damn. Well, it's my duty. I'll bury her myself.

Zuglar was working on some mechanisms when he stood bolt upright and dropped the stone he was chipping away. His face contorted to look similar to that of Del. I recognized him from my dream. Possessed, he ran through the halls looking for wood, leather, and stone. Another artifact was in the works. The rest of us continued to work in silence, quietly contemplating that artifact each of us carries in our souls, wondering when our own would come out.

The silence was broken by the slopping noise of 6 gooey migrants coming down the stairs. Our total is now 38 – I double checked the bedrooms and ensured we had space for at least 48 dwarves. Out of respect for Sigun, I ordered his room to be smoothed, then his office, then all the bedrooms on the upper floor. With only a few engravers, the work will be slow, but it is of little importance.

My summation of the migrants is as follows:

Olin Dentrings and Avus. Olin is a beekeeper, mechanic, and quite a good appraiser. He might apprentice under auze for now. Avus is a weaponsmith, and a skilled one at that. She'll be useful in equipping the military.

Olin Endedroom is a craftsdwarf, which may prove useful, and Kol is a metalsmith with a powerful build.

Aban and Iton are both unskilled farmers and again, Iton has no life's dream.

The two of them pushed the numbers over, though, allowing us to establish a farmers' guild. I sent Kol to Moldath and Iton to Nogood as recruits. From what I hear, the military is just starting to get some experience. If they can start sparring this year, we'll be in a very good position.

Zuglar dripped with sweat, he carried with him a weapon stand unlike anything we'd ever seen. The Obscure Battles – the name alone a reference to my trap. The beautiful details reveal an image of a previous baron. Perhaps, in time, Smallhands could become a barony? But a weapon rack – that means we must fight to get there. I place this with the Rainbow Raptors. Best not to imagine too much when it comes to prophecy.

Mateusz, not to be outdone, wrote a book at this time. It was so interesting, I've already read it twice! The book details Mateusz's time as an overseer, and when Sigun was given the role of manager. I might read it again to see if there's anything worthwhile about overseeing that I can learn from it.

I also didn't want to be outdone, so I finished the trap. I dub it “The Goo Hive.”

I explained it to the dwarves three times already, but they're not really getting it. I've put together a guide with diagrams which hopefully will make it sink in.

I promoted Mateusz to the scholar of the entire fort, and replaced him with Lokum in the library itself. Lokum remains in a sour mood, and I haven't been able to shake him out of it. He seems to want to do a lot of stuff, but isn't doing much of it. Poor fellow. Perhaps he would appreciate the art of beekeeping.

The desert sands turn cold at night. Winter is upon us. The gate is closed and the fort is warmed by the distant magma. Work continues.

-=~-=-~=-

OOC:
No idea if Mateusz will continue to write books as the fortress scholar. If not, I'll move you back to the library.
Neverweathered was placed in front of the library/museum, as that's where I'm mostly sending upset dwarves, I figured it might give them good thoughts to walk through it. I might move it to a more high-traffic area, though. If I had more time, I'd actually use it to build year-round access to bees with an indestructible door. Nice drawing, nogoodnames - very menacing.
Orthoclase is still being used for crafts, we should have enough and can supplement with glass, of which we can have infinite. I put a few down by the magma for safe keeping, though - just in case.

The Goo Hive instructions coming soon - gotta do some image editing first...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 07:17:14 am by delphonso »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2020, 01:40:27 am »

A dwarven guide to The Goo Hive
By Cilob "Phonso" Armorcleaned

The Goo Hive was inspired by the movements and constructions of bees. Its primary purpose is to turn all intruders into vile goo. Below are detailed instructions on how to use it. This project is dedicated to Stinthad Mistemavus, who died accidentally in its construction.

The entrance to the GooHive is on the surface, and this part is always open. Invaders will walk toward this entrance and into the level below. The entrance is microcline ramps for easy visibility.

Spoiler: GooHive Entrance (click to show/hide)

The microcline block bridge labeled "GooHive Access" will stop any and all enemies from entering the fort at all. If this is up, the fort is totally safe. When down, the bridge will lie flat and open to the trap hallway - the Goo Hive proper. Please ensure the GooHive Access bridge is up before any and all maintenance to the Goo Hive.

The limestone block bridge labeled "GooHive Wave 1a" refers to Wave 1 - a collection of bridges which will squash any enemy invaders. 1a is just the first of 3 bridges in Wave 1.

Spoiler: GooHive Access (click to show/hide)

The enemy will continue down a long hall before encountering the rest of Wave 1. Further traps could be installed in that hallway. There is a natural choke point to slow down the group, and ensure optimal gooing.

Spoiler: Wave 1 continued (click to show/hide)

The enemy will follow a tight corridor and round a corner, encountering GooHive Wave2 - a series of small and closer-together squashers.

Spoiler: Wave 2 (click to show/hide)

Then the enemy enters the stone-fall and weapon trap corridor. A tight passage which should ensure the death of several invaders. If the enemy force seems too large, still, pull the lever associated with the "Too Much!". The TooMuch! Bridge should force the enemies to walk back out the Goo Hive the way they came in, ensure additional gooing.

Spoiler: TooMuch Contingency (click to show/hide)

If the enemy continues past the TooMuch! Contingency bridge, they will encounter more weapon and stonefall traps. Near the end of the corridor, they will encounter the final defense, the Stinger. The Stinger is one level above the Barracks, allowing quick access for warriors. Some of our warriors bear the vile goo fever, compounded with exposure to the sun, this would make them poor combatants on the surface, therefore we must fight here if at all. The Warrior Access Bridge allows this to be closed off in case the combatants are too challenging - but note that building destroyers must be fought here, or the door to the stairwell will be destroyed.

Also note, fighting among active stonefall traps is highly discouraged, as dwarves who are knocked down are known to get their heads exploded by falling rocks. Encourage the enemies to join you in the Stinger for optimal gooing.

Spoiler: The Stinger (click to show/hide)

Part 2:
Control:

The Goo Hive Control Room is conveniently placed near the tavern and temple. The two left-side levers control the primary squashing bridges of Wave1 and Wave2. The top right lever is the TooMuch! lever. The bottom right lever is the GooHive Access lever. Setting Wave1 and Wave2 to Pull the Lever and repeat should ensure almost perfect gooing of any enemies. The door can also be locked, to ensure the lever-pulling dwarf goes nowhere else.

Spoiler: GooHive Control Room (click to show/hide)

The Stinger can be accessed by a separate lever to open the Warrior Access Bridge. It is located near the barracks by the well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All levers and bridges are named appropriately, in case there is any confusion. Please enjoy your usage of the Goo Hive.

The entire Goo Hive:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 07:17:39 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 30, 2020, 06:33:59 am »

Dorfed Imic, Quarque, Superdorf, and King Zultan - not sure if anyone who isn't an overseer is even reading.
I'm still reading it, also what job did you give my dwarf and here's hoping it lives longer than the one I had in another fort.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 30, 2020, 06:58:06 am »

I'm glad to see that my labyrinth is finally seeing some (albeit limited) use!
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 109