Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402641 times)

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...huh.

I thought you were just talking about the name in the mission reports, but there he is, floating around as if it's the most ordinary thing in the world. I don't see his ghoulish body around anywhere, so I guess he misplaced it while out on the mission. Definitely worthy of a bug report.

He's still part of the squad and obeys station and mission orders, but doesn't seem to be able to attack or be attacked normally (I may have tried pitting him against one of the FBs). He' described as a murderous ghost, so keeping him around now may be a liability...

I'd like to ask that before slabbing him, he be included whenever we decide to deal with the necromancers at Sinewsabres. I think it's an appropriate way to end his story.

Edit: Also, Delphonso, you can add me to the end of the turn list. I should be settled by the time it rolls around.
As far as I can tell, it's clearly a bug. The legends screen shows that he didn't die, and didn't become a ghost until reaching Smallhands.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If anyone knows a way to return him to his former state I'll do it, as I don't want to lose one of our best militia commanders and a former overseer to a random bug.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After fiddling around a bit, I have found away to glitch him out of his ghostly state. If you engrave a slab for him, send him on a mission and then construct the slab while he's gone, he'll come back with a body again. Thing is, he won't come back as a ghoul, but a full flesh and blood dwarf! Albeit seemingly still without needs (the ones that cause distraction, he still needs to eat and drink).

Smallhands is just the fort that keeps on giving, isn't it?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

*pounds fists on table*
BRING BACK NOGOODNAMES
USE THE BUG
BRING BACK NOGOODNAMES
USE THE BUG

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Use the bug, it is to our advantage!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After fiddling around a bit, I have found away to glitch him out of his ghostly state. If you engrave a slab for him, send him on a mission and then construct the slab while he's gone, he'll come back with a body again. Thing is, he won't come back as a ghoul, but a full flesh and blood dwarf! Albeit seemingly still without needs (the ones that cause distraction, he still needs to eat and drink).

I tried this (engraved the slab while he was at the fort, then built it when on mission). It just got rid of him. I savescummed, so is there something I'm missing?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried this (engraved the slab while he was at the fort, then built it when on mission). It just got rid of him. I savescummed, so is there something I'm missing?
He'll be removed from the squad, but once they return he'll return with them as a living civilian dwarf, probably classed as a noble since he has no major non-combat skills. You're sure he isn't showing up in the unit list (and wasn't killed on the mission)? Send him on an easy mission, I think there are some equipment issues with him as a ghost, so he isn't at full combat ability. Also someone set him to equip a greataxe, which is too big for dwarves to use.

On that note, don't underestimate the necromancers. They have ghouls with a century of combat experience and access to steel armour. With the way offsite battles are calculated, we'll need highly skilled dwarves with full steel if we want to take them on their home turf.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 11:19:36 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Accomplishments of Auze
Nogood ended up being a ghost, which is very inconvenient. After a brief discussion with some other dwarves, I think I have a solution.
After we had done it (sending the GraveWardens out to raid a kobold hamlet), they came back shortly afterwards with a strange voice saying...

Welcome back, Militia Commander, or as some have started calling you, the Thrice Undying Overseer. Now, you may have trouble remembering some parts of the last five years. Here's what happened...

OOC: It worked!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 11:50:38 am by auzewasright »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now all we need to do is get Nogood killed and raised as undead again.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder how many times we can kill him and bring him back.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

I'm reading through the last two weeks of posts.
I'm a bit lost... WTH is going on with Nogood ?!

Correct me if I'm wrong :
He was a dwarf. Was killed and turned ghoulish by a Ñecro during worldgen.
That Ñecro attacked us, and we somehow convinced Nogood to join us.
Then, without getting killed, he turned into a ghost ?
And we sent that ghost raid something. When the raid was done, Nogood came back as a fleshy dwarf ?

Yeah. Sure. Makes perfect sense. Now, how can we roleplay that ? ::)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:12:25 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nogood arrived as a living migrant, died and was turned into a ghoul at Smallhands by a necromancer - I forget which one.

Then became a ghost after serving in the military for years. Then was laid to rest and is now a living militaryman.

Are all my facts right?

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nogood arrived as a living migrant, died and was turned into a ghoul at Smallhands by a necromancer - I forget which one.

Then became a ghost after serving in the military for years. Then was laid to rest and is now a living militaryman.

Are all my facts right?
More or less, but here's a more detailed breakdown of events (from my Granite 2 153 save, my memory, and some poking into legends):
1. Smallhands was under siege for most of the year in my turn (152, "The Scalded Attack") until early winter.
2. Migrants (including the dwarves that would become Nogood and Laterigrade) arrived. I, noticing that the siege had ended, decided to open the bridge.
3. The undead echidna we now know as Roastedscaled, which had been lurking around for my entire turn and slipped my mind, attacked the slower migrants. I sent out the militia to deal with it.
4. The militia is having a hard time dealing with it, with militiadwarves Del and Olon dying of blood loss (Del was blinded and in pain for a while, so his death was a mercy). The rest of the militiadwarves  along with the miners I conscripted ended up being hospitalized. The migrants that failed to reach the fortress before Roastedscaled (including Nogood) bled to death from their injuries.
5. Roastedscaled ran off into the entrance, blocking any hauling of corpses (also preventing the injured in the hospital from getting water).
6. Granite 1, 153 hits (I didn't realize it was Granite until Granite 2 came), what followed were events that happened so fast I had to go to legends to get clarification:
7. The human necromancer Vusdom Tunnelyore tries to attack the fortress with a few human ghouls (153, "The Assault of Cuts"). He revives four dwarf corpses as forlorn ghouls (this world's name for intelligent undead), which I realize are still counted as citizens.
8. He also revives a large amount of animal corpses on the surface before running off, which leads to a large amount of undead animals right next to the open entrance. This does not end well.
9. Granite 2 arrives on the calender. Goden Dedukoshur, who is the forlorn ghoul who was renamed "Nogood", decides to take a nap after fighting an undead animal or two. The only dwarves who are not in an area compromised by undead animals are Salmeuk (taking a nap) and Zan "Laterigrade" Monomduthal (just slightly away from the drawbridge lever...). And the rest, as they say, is history.

Edit: Nogood came back perfectly fine after razing Cactushexes before suddenly turning into a ghost. Anyways, I’ll go finish my turn (I apologize for the delay).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 11:45:49 am by auzewasright »

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Appraisal of Auze

I decide to reform some things and start making some stuff to benefit the fortress. The first step is steel production. I also have to finish up the farmer's guild, and give the baron his needed rooms.
Nogood had a somewhat hazy memory of the last few years, but he still had all of his skills, so I reenlisted him as commander over the GraveWardens.
As much as I want to pay off my late book fees this season, I get the feeling that we are going to have a siege this winter (like every other winter).

I try not to look at Nogood's slab, lest my head start hurting.

I would expand the magma works, if I knew how they moved the magma. I guess that can be designated as the next overseer's problem.

Apparently the Kingdom decided to found another hillocks. That's the second one this year.
Winter has arrived, and the fortress prospers.
I also start work on a small project.

I have no idea how the kobolds took control of a hamlet, but I'm not going to let that continue.

Success
I begin to increase food production, and also send the Rainbow Raptors to get a book or two from the elves.

Oh come on, just as the Rainbow Raptors were walking out...

The Werepig demonstrated why attacking a squad made up entirely of experienced swordsdwarves when you have no armour on is a bad idea.
Unfortunately, the Rainbow Raptors didn't even bother to go searching for the book after that.

Again? Go get the-

The announcement didn't even finish before the cyclops walked right into a cage trap.

Anyways, it the end of my turn, and I think I did pretty well.

The people are happy,

The library has spawned a small but exciting cultural Renaissance,

And our militia is stronger than ever.

The fortress is bustling with activity.

Most importantly, I've paid off most (or at least half) of my late book fees.
An artifact has been made...

Oh.
Well, it's the 28th of Obsidian. My turn is about over, time to retire back to being a broker!

OOC: That was fun. Here's the save, along with all of my images and notes.
The best things to do would be to fix our stockpiles, along with expanding our magma forges. The food and drink situation is good, keep producing and we will be good. Between food and bone crafts, we should have no shortage of trading goods. Salmeuk needs a few rooms, as do the other nobles. As for targets, I would recommend besides books trying to stop the goblins (They have more people than every other civ combined), and upgrading the RR's swords to steel. For choosing who to raid what, both squads are good in both cases, but I generally used the Rainbow Raptor's for sneaky missions, and the GraveWardens for the... killy missions. That's mostly it. Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 05:06:42 pm by auzewasright »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Laterigrade, are you up for a turn?

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Laterigrade, are you up for a turn?
Hasn't been active in a few days. Maybe send a message?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 109