Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402673 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

I messaged Laterigrade and am updating the front page now.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nogood arrived as a living migrant, died and was turned into a ghoul at Smallhands by a necromancer - I forget which one.

Then became a ghost after serving in the military for years. Then was laid to rest and is now a living militaryman.

Are all my facts right?
More or less, but here's a more detailed breakdown of events (from my Granite 2 153 save, my memory, and some poking into legends):
1. Smallhands was under siege for most of the year in my turn (152, "The Scalded Attack") until early winter.
2. Migrants (including the dwarves that would become Nogood and Laterigrade) arrived. I, noticing that the siege had ended, decided to open the bridge.
3. The undead echidna we now know as Roastedscaled, which had been lurking around for my entire turn and slipped my mind, attacked the slower migrants. I sent out the militia to deal with it.
4. The militia is having a hard time dealing with it, with militiadwarves Del and Olon dying of blood loss (Del was blinded and in pain for a while, so his death was a mercy). The rest of the militiadwarves  along with the miners I conscripted ended up being hospitalized. The migrants that failed to reach the fortress before Roastedscaled (including Nogood) bled to death from their injuries.
5. Roastedscaled ran off into the entrance, blocking any hauling of corpses (also preventing the injured in the hospital from getting water).
6. Granite 1, 153 hits (I didn't realize it was Granite until Granite 2 came), what followed were events that happened so fast I had to go to legends to get clarification:
7. The human necromancer Vusdom Tunnelyore tries to attack the fortress with a few human ghouls (153, "The Assault of Cuts"). He revives four dwarf corpses as forlorn ghouls (this world's name for intelligent undead), which I realize are still counted as citizens.
8. He also revives a large amount of animal corpses on the surface before running off, which leads to a large amount of undead animals right next to the open entrance. This does not end well.
9. Granite 2 arrives on the calender. Goden Dedukoshur, who is the forlorn ghoul who was renamed "Nogood", decides to take a nap after fighting an undead animal or two. The only dwarves who are not in an area compromised by undead animals are Salmeuk (taking a nap) and Zan "Laterigrade" Monomduthal (just slightly away from the drawbridge lever...). And the rest, as they say, is history.

Edit: Nogood came back perfectly fine after razing Cactushexes before suddenly turning into a ghost. Anyways, I’ll go finish my turn (I apologize for the delay).

This should be saved to OP as "The Story of Nogood"! What a wild ride. Though, your last post mentioned he had transitioned back to ghoul form or am I misunderstanding?

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This should be saved to OP as "The Story of Nogood"! What a wild ride. Though, your last post mentioned he had transitioned back to ghoul form or am I misunderstanding?
I think misunderstanding, he is now very much a living dwarf (though he kept all of his skills).
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Any response from laterigrade? Also, add me on to the turn list please!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll give Laterigrade a couple more days to respond, then shuffle it to the next person. Everyone's either not busy at all or super busy these days.

How's your status, mko?

Welcome aboard, Glloyd!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Forgive the double post, but I'm going to try to put this all in one understandable chain.

More or less, but here's a more detailed breakdown of events (from my Granite 2 153 save, my memory, and some poking into legends):
1. Smallhands was under siege for most of the year in my turn (152, "The Scalded Attack") until early winter.
2. Migrants (including the dwarves that would become Nogood and Laterigrade) arrived. I, noticing that the siege had ended, decided to open the bridge.
3. The undead echidna we now know as Roastedscaled, which had been lurking around for my entire turn and slipped my mind, attacked the slower migrants. I sent out the militia to deal with it.
4. The militia is having a hard time dealing with it, with militiadwarves Del and Olon dying of blood loss (Del was blinded and in pain for a while, so his death was a mercy). The rest of the militiadwarves  along with the miners I conscripted ended up being hospitalized. The migrants that failed to reach the fortress before Roastedscaled did (including Nogood) bled to death from their injuries.
5. Roastedscaled ran into the entrance, blocking any hauling of corpses (also preventing the injured in the hospital from getting water).
6. Granite 1, 153 hits (I didn't realize it was Granite until Granite 2 came), what followed were events that happened so fast I had to go to legends to get clarification:
7. The human necromancer Vusdom Tunnelyore tries to attack the fortress with a few human ghouls (153, "The Assault of Cuts"). He revives four dwarf corpses as forlorn ghouls (this world's name for intelligent undead), which I realize are still counted as citizens.
8. He also revives a large amount of animal corpses on the surface before running off, which leads to a large amount of undead animals right next to the open entrance. This does not end well.
9. Granite 2 arrives on the calender. Goden Dedukoshur, who is the forlorn ghoul who was renamed "Nogood", decides to take a nap after fighting an undead animal or two. The only dwarves who are not in an area compromised by undead animals are Salmeuk (taking a nap) and Zan "Laterigrade" Monomduthal (just slightly away from the drawbridge lever...). And the rest, as they say, is history.

Edit: Nogood came back perfectly fine after razing Cactushexes before suddenly turning into a ghost. Anyways, I’ll go finish my turn (I apologize for the delay).

10. Goden "Nogood" Dedukoshur spends years as a militia dwarf in Smallhands, training with Moldath until both are Legendary Fighters. They each take a squad of new recruits.
11. In 158, Nogood's spirit arises as a ghost in Smallhands.
12. Nogood's spirit is put to rest, while the forlorn ghoul, Nogood, is sent on a mission.
13. Nogood, the forlorn ghoul returns from the mission miraculously cured of his undead condition.
14. Nogood is now a normal, very strong and tough, dwarf.

Is that right?

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile

Ah, sorry, no. I don’t have another computer yet, I’m afraid. Sorry for the delay guys!
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No worries. Mko, you're up!

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Forgive the double post, but I'm going to try to put this all in one understandable chain.

4. The militia is having a hard time dealing with it, with militiadwarves Del and Olon dying of blood loss (Del was blinded and in pain for a while, so his death was a mercy). The rest of the militiadwarves  along with the miners I conscripted ended up being hospitalized. The migrants that failed to reach the fortress before Roastedscaled did (including Nogood) bled to death from their injuries.
5. Roastedscaled ran into the entrance, blocking any hauling of corpses (also preventing the injured in the hospital from getting water).

10. Goden "Nogood" Dedukoshur spends years as a militia dwarf in Smallhands, training with Moldath until both are Legendary Fighters. They each take a squad of new recruits.
11. In 158, Nogood's spirit arises as a ghost in Smallhands.
12. Nogood's spirit is put to rest, while the forlorn ghoul, Nogood, is sent on a mission.
13. Nogood, the forlorn ghoul returns from the mission miraculously cured of his undead condition.
14. Nogood is now a normal, very strong and tough, dwarf.

Is that right?
It's close, but not quite. The actual series of events are more confusing:
10. As you said, Goden "Nogood" Dedukoshur takes over the Gravewardens and Moldath takes over the Rainbow Raptors. Both are legendary.
11. Nogood doesn't have a ghost appear for the time from his resurrection up until the Razing of Cactushexes. I think intelligent undead block the rising of their ghosts, but not necessarily whatever activates the rising (IIRC, the undead Olon (who was locked in fighting until nogood's turn) didn't have a ghost rise until after being killed, when the others who died in the battle at the end of 152 had ghosts rise earlier)
12. Nogood is sent out in several raids. Most notably, the razing of Cactushexes, where he turns into a ghost upon or shortly after coming back. Perhaps the thing that causes ghosts to rise doesn't take into account whether they are alive but off the map. While I initially thought that the ghost of Nogood was separate from Nogood (the forlorn ghoul militia commander), Nogood (the forum user) pointed out that it appears the ghost replaced his undead body. If I had to guess, since the ghost body is technically the body of the dwarf that the ghost is, Nogood (the forlorn ghoul militia commander) became Nogood (the ghost forlorn ghoul militia commander) without actually dying.
13. As Nogood (the ghost forlorn ghoul) technically never died, he was still part of the militia despite being a ghost. This meant I could still send him on missions. So I engraved a slab for Nogood, and then sent Nogood (the ghost forlorn ghoul militia commander) on a simple raid to the kobold fortress. Then, I placed the slab, putting Nogood (the ghost forlorn ghoul militia commander) "to rest" while he was off the map and on the mission.
14. The GraveWardens return, and so has Nogood. Not exactly sure how, but if I had to guess, since Nogood (the ghost forlorn ghoul militia commander) technically did not die while on the mission, the game decided to revert Nogood (the ghost forlorn ghoul militia commander) to being Nogood (the living dwarf).
15. Nogood (the dwarf), being still the same dwarf as Nogood (the forlorn ghoul militia commander who became Nogood (the ghost forlorn ghoul militia commander)), retains all of his skills and traits from before being Nogood (the ghost forlorn ghoul militia commander). Nogood (the dwarf) is reassigned back to being the leader and militia commander of the GraveWardens.

Don't worry, it's as simple as it appears to be.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:44:23 am by auzewasright »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Petition to seperate these as "Nogood", "Noghoul", and "Noghost".

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I ain't afraid of Noghost.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaking of ghosts, mko hasn't been on for over a week. I sent him a message. StrikaAmaru, you might be up pretty soon. Are you around?

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Strika seems to have been active today, so she would work if mko doesn't show up.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile

I'm around, and suddenly very glad for my pick of evening lecture.

Downloading the save as we speak; but I don't expect to touch it for another ~36 hours. Work is going to be a bit demanding, on attention if not time.

... Beats the alternative, I guess.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Go ahead and take it. No response from mko, so I'll pass the turn to you. Thanks, Strika.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 109